“Relaxing stay”

Ranked #6 of 16 Belmopan B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Relaxing stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

I stayed at El Rey in November of 2013. I spent one night and I was on my way back to Belize City. The room and bathroom was very clean and tidy and the bed was comfortable. There was a flat screen television and coffee maker/ coffee in the bedroom. I sleep quite well and no noise throughout the night. I had breakfast in the morning. The cook prepared a delicious and well presented Belizean style breakfast which also included refried black beans and tortillas and gourmet coffee. The staff was friendly and attentive. Before my journey to Belize City I was able to get well rested sleep and good breakfast in a peaceful setting, so I definitely enjoyed my stay and would be sure to come back and bring a family member as well.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Czech first
Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

I would not stay here again. The room was ok, the location was also ok but nothing special and the management was not very helpful. The owners dog and all the other dogs in the neighborhood barked all night making for a crappy sleep. Next time I will just continue to San Ignacio and skip Belmopan all together. We were a large group and had some issues with the different rates being charged to different members of the group based on when and how the bookings came in. You would think that when a group of ten guests fills 6 rooms in a small empty hotel the management would be a little more understanding and simply agree to be fair and charge all group members the same rate with same benefits without all the fuss. This was not the case. "This is not my job, talk to my wife" was the reply from the husband manager on duty at the time who claimed to have a history of running five star hotels. The food was ok but it was included for some members of our group and charged to others. The whole issue was not handled very professionally and certainly not to my satisfaction especially considering that the manager claimed to be a expert in running five star hotels. We weren't looking for five star treatment just fair treatment. The kitchen staff was very nice. I will not be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank KerryVDZ
Manager7ElRey, Manager at El Rey Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Most unfortunately, not everyone in the world is honest.

The Dog

Firstly we do NOT own a dog and have NEVER owned a dog. Now I thought maybe he saw a stray dog or something, as Belize has those (no dog pounds in the country) but when I emailed Mr. Kerry to ask him, he dared to tell me that my husband told him that our dog would watch his bikes at night.

The Discount

While really I should put a full stop here at his credibility, I must say that we do offer group discounts as we DID with his bike group, despite him not saying so. One of his friends (who did not show up or cancel his reservation) did make a reservation through Expedia and therefore did not get the group rate. Mr. Kerry took that room, knowing that it did not have a meal plan attached but it was a room upgraded from what he had booked for himself. (I personally explained it and he happily went to his room).
The hotel called me the following day to tell me that Mr. Kerry was mad because he had to pay for food. So I talked to him on the phone and explained to him that even though they had booked 6 rooms I only charged then for 5 rooms. So his original room that he booked was not charged for. He said “Oh, ok great I thought I had to pay for all the rooms”. Later in an email he said he only said that because he was “in a rush to leave.”
Technically we had every right to charge for all rooms, but chose not to, and even gave him the additional free nights at our other hotel where they went to a few days later. Because of the Expedia booking, he was only paying for food and did not pay a penny for his room. I will not even go into the “take advantage of the situation move” that he pulled at that hotel. So I was shocked that he would write such a review after all we did. I must say that the other people in the group were no trouble at all and when the group was riding off, some stayed behind to express how pleased they were with their stay, probably embarrassed by Mr. Kerry’s behavior, practically throwing his money at my staff like it was garbage.

Sentiments

I really feel terrible to have to write this, as I do not like the whole concept of “internet open court”, but after several avenues, this is my last recourse. The true reason for his dissatisfaction is still a mystery, but I am very offended by the title alone “Nothing special here”. It strikes my core when I think about my staff, an orphan who has first job so she can raise money to go to college, a widow left with six children to feed, a single mother who had never worked before but whose husband left her with three kids. A wife whose husband is ill and hospital bills she struggles to pay…. And I can go on. They are very special and so is every single guest who walks through our doors and so are you, Mr. Kerry.

Finally

We encourage reviews, the good, bad and the ugly and will learn and grow from them. But we would like to encourage guests to express concerns while still at the hotel so we can try and help. We cannot solve any problems after you have left. It also gives us a chance to clarify misunderstandings. One example, on Tripadvisor a woman said she was happy with her stay but her room was not cleaned. My investigation “after the matter” revealed that her teenage son who was in the room, while she was out, told the housekeepers NOT to clean the room and did not tell his mother that he did so. Had she asked us why her room was not cleaned, while she was still here, the matter could have been dealt with.
We are here to serve you.
Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

Very friendly service. The room was pretty clean and the AC worked well but was pretty loud. We did have some ants in the room in the morning when we woke up. They were biting ants. Paid too much for what we got. Again the service was great though.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
San Pedro, Belize
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a couple of nights in late October on our way from San Ignacio to Belize City. We stayed in one of the budget rooms. I really loved it because it was simple and uncomplicated but super clean and as a bit of a clean freak this suited me perfectly. It was dust and damp free and spotless. Our room had two double beds and a telly. Breakfast was great, the owners were lovely and really interesting, welcoming people. They helped us find places to eat in Belompan ( not a lot to choose from) so we went to a huge Chinese place nearby which turned out to be excellent, tasted like good home-cooked Chinese food. Highly recommended hotel.

• Stayed October 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

i stayed here for 3 nights. The hotel is located only a couple minutes from downtown. It is close to the embassies. I initially booked a standard room but they only had one left that was under a room which was under constructions. The staff moved me to a suite on the second floor. They were very helpful. The room was nice but small. it had a full sized bed just big enough for two people. It also had a futon someone could lay on. The tv was tiny but if your not planning to stay in the room that much it should not be a problem. The bathroom was a good size. It was a little outdated but everything worked to perfectly. It had a/c which was a plus in humid Belize. I read they had a policy of locking the doors after a certain time a night so just be aware of that when booking. I like the hotel but probably would have stayed at Hibiscus Hotel down the street. It was about 15-20 cheaper. It was also more spacious which to me means more comfort. This is a good option though a very nice hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

We spend 2 nights at the El Rey Hotel (El Rey Inn was the old owner) during our trip to Belize.
It is located 10 mins walking from the bus station, walking straight through Belmopan park.
The neighborhood is very quiet as the hotel is located in a residentiel street, so you can get a good rest.
The rooms are spacious and very clean while the beds are very comfortable. Private bathroom with hot shower ads up to good quality.
The Budget room was 90 $ BZ at the time of our stay. (Prices from Lonely Planet are not uptodate as that was El Rey Inn.)

Belmopan itself might be small and not so busy as one would think but there are some restaurants and bars not far from the El Rey Hotel.

Belmopan offers a good location either as getting a bus to every direction of Belize or as a hub for some excursions in the Cayo District like cave tubing, blue hole national park and many others that are 20 minutes driving away.

Last but not least the staff is very friendly and helpful and the owners are very lovely people.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Zil-wee
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

Loved the El Rey Inn so much, it really made our stay in Belize very special. The staff here are amazing and so helpful and really make you feel at home. The dining area is very social and gives you the opportunity to mingle with other guests from all over the world as well as locals. I highly recommend El Rey Inn and would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends