“Amazing Vacation!”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Belmopan
Onalaska, Wisconsin, United States
“Amazing Vacation!”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed for 7 nights at the end of July/start of August and had booked the adventure package - so it came with all the meals included and 5 adventure tours. The resort itself is just beautiful, the pictures do not do it justice!

Bryan was there to greet us on the first day and was very accommodating, he showed us our casita and explained when to let him know which adventure we wanted to do and the when/where breakfast, lunch, and dinner would be. He was awesome - every night he would talk to us at dinner and let us know what we needed to bring with us for the next day's adventure. Part of the way through the week Eugene took over and he was just as wonderful as Bryan was.

The Casita has a little porch with chair/table (and a handy fan you could turn on to cool you down!) There was a safe inside, single-serve coffee maker, mini-fridge, hair dryer, and shampoo/conditioner/body soap. I would not have packed my shampoo/conditioner has I known how wonderful theirs would have smelled! It also has this giant soaker tub outside on an enclosed patio.

Jason, Berta, Big Baby, and Gareth took care of us for dinner/lunches/breakfast/drinks at the bar. They were all great - every one of them went above and beyond. I cannot eat any gluten and they always made sure that the food I was eating was safe for me to eat - it was all sooo good. The chefs/kitchen staff there were awesome, they altered their soup recipes so that I could have them at dinner! The dinners were outstanding every night, I highly recommend just getting the special everyday - it was delicious. Jason really went out of his way to make sure I had gluten free desserts, even making ice cream one day! Outstanding service all around.

Now the adventures! We did horseback riding, Xunantunich Ruin, Tikal (in Guatamala), Waterfall Cave Expedition, and ATM.
1)Horseback riding was so much fun, we went to Banana Bank Lodge and rode through the jungle. They will tailor the ride to your level of horseback riding.
2)Xunantunich was amazing, our guide picked us up from the resort in the morning, drove us off to San Ignatio and he also was our guide through the ruins. It was awesome to see the history. We ate at a local restaurant and then went to Cahal Pech afterwards to see those ruins.
3)Tikal in Guatamala was my favorite ruins to see. It was about a 3 1/2 hour ride there, but well worth every minute. When we arrived we got a personal guide who took us through the park. He was incredibly knowledgeable and took us through side paths to get everywhere. Seeing all the ruins was incredible.
4) Waterfall Cave Expedition - DO THIS! This was amazing, you basically are in a cave and get to climb up waterfalls, you turn around and get to jump off them on your way back. This was my favorite 'active' adventure we did and I would do it again - that's how much fun it was.
5) ATM - this was really cool to see. It was described to us as the Ruins we saw at Xunantunich and Tikal were like the Upperworld and the ATM cave was a the Underworld. There was pottery everywhere and a very skeletons. It was very educational and extremely cool to see.

We spent one day hanging out at the resort and kayaked up and down the river, spent some time in their amazing pool, and just relaxed. It's pretty quiet at the resort during the day since most people are out on adventures, so we had the pool almost to ourselves. It is a smaller lodge, probably an average of 20 people there every night we stayed.

Overall this was one of the best vacations I've ever taken and I would definitely go again!

Room Tip: Just get a Casita - it's so worth it.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sarah B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Ohio
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here at the end of July for our honeymoon in Casita# 7. Our room was beautiful and seemed to be the most private. We were at the very back of a path lined with flowers that bloomed daily and orange trees. We had a creek that ran next to our room which was very soothing. We had an outdoor tub as well as a shower that had glass to look out. The room was very spacious with outdoor seating as well as a hammock. The woodwork in the room was beautiful. We also had an espresso maker as well as a mini fridge which had fresh fruit in it. There were towel animals left on our bed daily along with flowers.
We booked the all inclusive Adventure Package. It was well worth it for everything we got. We stayed 6 nights which included 4 adventure tours. We booked the atm tour, waterfall tour, xunantunich ruins, and blue hole cave tubing. We loved all of them. They had so many different tours it was hard to make a choice but loved having so many options. Eugene was wonderful at booking our tours and keeping us informed of pick up times and what we needed to take. The blue hole tour was very close to the resort and Orlin gave us a ride down and picked us up when we were finished. He was so nice and it was wonderful to meet him.
The food here was also wonderful. We had hoped for more traditional Belizean food tho. There was one dish which was but the rest of the menu seemed to be Americanized. The menus were the same everyday except the dinner specials changed nightly along with the desserts. We loved the ceviche and pizza for lunch. We didn't eat lunch at the resort every day tho because some of the tours include lunch. We ate breakfast at the resort everyday it did get a little boring with it being the same menu daily. For dinner I would suggest the nightly specials. The desserts were always great as well. We were always so full from dinner that we always got our dessert boxed up and took it to our room for later. There is a somewhat private area they let us sit at one night for dinner behind closed curtains with candles, flowers, and a complimentary bottle of champagne. It was a very nice surprise for us. Garrett was so wonderful to us at lunch and dinner. He is just such a kind hearted and caring man. Bryan was great at making our drinks and waiting on is for dinner as well. We also enjoyed Jason waiting on us at breakfast. He is quite a character and made us laugh daily.
We did get to go to the lookout tower at the resort. Jose took
Us up and he was very nice. It was about a 30 min hike. The views from the top were amazing.
We loved spending time at the pool as well. It was amazing. So clean and relaxing. I love that the pool is open 24 hours and it was beautiful at night with all the lights.
The only issues we had during our stay were that the green light around the outside tub wasn't working as well as a light on the patio. I also think it would help to have a booklet in the room that shows all the resort has to offer such as tour descriptions and more about the resort.
We are so glad that we chose Sleeping Giant. The resort was amazing in so many ways. We loved the size of it because it was more private. The staff really made our stay memorable. They went out of their way for us and treated us like friends.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank wohdonkey
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Just off the charmingly-named Hummingbird Highway, 17 miles south of Belmopan, is a breathtaking jungle retreat of unexpected luxury -- a rare find in the heartland of Belize.

Our three days and two nights at Sleeping Giant Lodge in July 2014 far exceeded our expectations on every count...from the lushly landscaped grounds, to the private, spacious, beautifully-appointed casitas, to the friendly, accommodating staff who made every guest feel like a new friend.

The grounds are simply beautiful. Tropical shrubs thick with fragrant blooms line the stone pathways that wind through the resort. Individual casitas are strategically spaced alongside a narrow stream so that each unit feels secluded. Each casita has a private patio equipped with a table, chairs, and even a cozy hammock.

High, vaulted ceilings, a king-sized bed, a separate seating area with leather sofa, a small refrigerator, and an espresso machine made the casita extremely comfortable. The gorgeous tiled bath with vessel sink and a shower whose glass wall looks onto a private courtyard complete with soaking tub made me want to skip the adventures we’d planned and just luxuriate in the surroundings.

I loved kayaking he gentle, clear Sibun river (just a short walk from the lodge), leaning back and listening to the water rush over the shoals upstream and the toucans chattering high in the canopy overhead.

Other reviewers have mentioned the 30-minute trek to the lookout tower: it’s a must.

I don’t usually get excited over a swimming pool, but I couldn’t resist this one. Cooling off in the late afternoon in the foothills of the Sibun National Forest, surrounded by miles of wilderness, proved a relaxing, rejuvenating end to an adventure-filled day.

We enjoyed very good meals and drinks in the rustic elegance of the main lodge. The staff was professional and attentive and made our dining experiences very enjoyable.

As other reviewers noted, the staff at Sleeping Giant is committed to providing exceptional service and a wonderful experience for all guests. I’d like to say a huge thank-you to Eugene, Jason, Brian, Bertha, Gareth, and Orlin for making our stay absolutely perfect.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CTNmom
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Great place, Eugene,Bertha,&2 other young men I can't remember the names sorry,where the best. I went for a birthday trip and I loved it. The staff is what truly makes the place. Great views & scenery. The food was awesome also. Thanks so much & we'll be back

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Carleha J
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for four days while in Belize for work/play. I had a couple days of meetings in Belmopan with the government, this resort offered the perfect sanctuary of relaxation for my wife and I. The meals were amazing and the staff was very friendly.
Two negatives I have are price and Internet. The hotel had a Groupon deal that we did not find out about until after we booked. We were paying three times more than the other guests there. Also, Internet is only offered at the main lodge and the reception was horrible there. Not a great place to send/receive emails, but I doubt this why most people go there.

• Stayed September 2013
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Hard to create a title that adequately describes this amazing find! My husband surprised me with this trip for my 40th birthday. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left we were looked after by the most amazing staff. We were greeted by Eugene who made sure that we had plans for every day of our stay and offered and set up excursions for us. The room was absolutely beautiful, we stayed in one of the casitas. The main room was air-conditioned which was wonderful even though it didn't feel stifling outside, I always sleep better when it's cool. There was an Nespresso machine in the room which was fantastic as I would usually wake around 5 to 5:30 and step out on the covered porch with a cappuccino and watch the sunrise with the most amazing view. We were there at the start of the rainy season, so it did rain every night and most days had short bursts of rain but we were amazingly lucky and made every excursion rain free. The pool was great to cool off and views at dinner or just on the terrace with a drink were enough even if we had not made excursions. The staff is the best part of this entire place. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. Eugene even help my husband make connection plans at the end of our visit. We will definitely be returning!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Mjwfmaf
Carson city
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Know ahead of time there is no TV, and that it is a place to runaway from the hustle and bustle. Also all inclusive is probably the way to go, as there is no other area around to eat. The food is good, but adds up quick!
That said we got there and fell in love almost immediately! The staff is friendly, and the environment is great.
The staff does absolutely everything they can for you. We got upgraded to another room for the night at no cost, just because it was available. The hike at the resort is free and so worth it. It's about 30 minutes up if enjoying it, and there is a tree house that goes up 3 flights at the top where the view is amazing!!! There is also a little romantic spot to eat with curtains. We requested it our last night and they put candles, flowers, and heart shaped petals with the curtains drawn. We got a complimentary glass of wine too.
I would like to make a special shout out to Eugene as he was the one taking care of us! We will come back just to be taken care of by him again as he did such an amazing job!
We went at rainy season and the one day it rained it was absolutely perfect, plus there was less guests~
I highly suggest anyone considering here to book now, it's worth ever penny!

• Stayed July 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belmopan
Blancaneaux Lodge
Hidden Valley Inn
Hidden Valley Inn
#3 of 3 in Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve
Amber Sunset Jungle Resort

Been to Sleeping Giant Lodge? Share your experiences!