We stayed three nights here as part of a tour arranged by Audley Travel. We were transferred by their local agents, Via Ventures and the driver knew the road well so we were not bumped around too much on the approach road.
We were warmly welcomed by Hugo and Mayra, and Ray and were soon shown to our cabana overlooking the Mayan site in the centre of the site. At first we were the only guests then a group arrived to fill all the rooms. Hugo, Mayra and all the staff coped so efficiently and produced really good and varied food, and still found time for a friendly chat. The bar area above the dining area was a focal point to sit in the shade during the day watching the birds in the trees alongside, or to chat in the evenings over a drink.
Izzy found us many more birds as we walked the good forest trails to the river. We also enjoyed the small orchid garden. A torch was essential at night, as with many of the other lodges in remote locations, but the darkness meant that we had fantastic views of the stars, unlike the light-polluted skies at home!
The rooms were simply but attactively furnished and very comfortable. We kept the room door shut and had no problems from unwelcome little visitors. There was always plenty of hot water even when all the cabanas were occupied.
One day we were collected for a trip to the Mayan site at Caracol, another dirt road but an amazing place to visit.
We would recommend Pooks Hill Lodgefor anyone liking a quiet break enjoying wildlife, good food and pleasant, comfortable accommodation in this part of Belize.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pook’s Hill is a small eco-lodge situated within the primary rainforest of Western Belize. It borders a 7000 acre reserve and the Roaring River, and is only 4 miles from the ATM cave. Eleven thatch cabanas surround an ancient Maya site and look out over the jungle canopy. Each has a private bathroom with hot water and 24 hour electricity. Pook’s Tours offers a full range of day tours to attractions in Western Belize as well as transportation services to or from any destination in Belize and Tikal in Guatemala (it is a two hour drive from Belize City). Pook’s Hill provides visitors with truly unique jungle experiences in a breathtaking natural setting and is a wonderful place to relax and enjoy the treasures of Western Belize. All management and operations at Pook’s Hill are carried out according to sustainable business practices. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Pook's Hill Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pook`s Hill Hotel Belmopan
- Pooks Hill Hotel
- Pooks Hill Cayo
- Pook's Hill Lodge Belize/Belmopan