“Overpriced for what is it, needs maintenance”
Review of Bull Frog Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Belmopan
Bull Frog Inn
Ranked #16 of 17 Belmopan B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 March 2012

We went to this place after reading about it in a popular travel book/gude as a recommend.

The prices were higher than listed in our new 2012 guide, and also had updated 2012 pricing noted on the wall which they wanted - which was higher yet.

Our room was basic with two queens.
There was sattelite TV, but the TV was small and very old.
The bathroom counters had the aqua blue 70s laminate that was separating and bowing, and the sink had a rod stuffed into the sink stopper to stop it form falling down (broken)

AC worked fine, and beds were ok.
The main lobby had a restaurant it - food was ok.
Front counter service was absolutely terrible.
Once I asked for road directions on how to get out of town, and she seemed disturbed by my interrupting her drying her fingernails - and basically gave me no solid direction (though in hindsighght, it was pretty straight forward)
Another time we asked about something else, and I felt like I was interrupting thier personal conversation.

The place was clean, it has a little playground setup in the front yard, and has a basic resaurant - it was OK, but certainly not for the money they are now wanting.
It had an enclodes room too. As it was hot we went in there - but AC was off and it was hotter than outside...

I would not stay here again unless the place is updated to reflect the new prices, or the prices are brought more in line with its state of repair.
There are several other options nearby.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 January 2012

Bull Frog Inn was conveniently located and was one of the few hotels that would accept our two dogs. The room was likely very nice when the hotel opened; however, it has not been upgraded in quite sometime. It was tidy and well kept. The regular rooms are a good size and come with two queen sized beds, a TV, A/C and ceiling fan as well as a hair dryer and iron. The restaurant menu has some good selections although I would suggest asking what is actually available as it seemed that they did not actually stock everything that was featured on the menu. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. If you need a place to stay with animals Bull Frog Inn can help.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MelMcc2828
Reviewed 2 December 2011

The Bullfrog Inn has been run by the d'Silva family since 1981 and for 30 years has been THE place to stay in Belmopan.

The rooms are spacious, always spotlessly clean, and well equipped; they deserve a solid "2 star" rating and also represent excellent value in the sometimes overpriced Belize market.

The service is always friendly, always welcoming and you will immediately feel like you are at home when you settle down at one of the outdoor tables by the bar. And if it happens to be a bit too hot for you that day, there is a large, bright air-conditioned dining room right next door.

The food offers a large selection of Belizean and international cooking, and can be relied on for quality and value.

The Bullfrog Inn is also the gathering point of the political, diplomatic and business elite of Belize. When you are sitting at a table near the bar, listen carefully and you might hear the US Ambassador chatting to Belize's Minister of Economic Development. At another table you might hear the Operations Manager of a major drilling company bemoaning the impact of heavy rains on getting his equipment moved around. Of course, Belize being friendly and informal, don't expect to see all these big-shots in business suits! So if you happen to see a friendly thirty-ish year old young man at or behind the bar, say hello to Jay d'Silva, the proprietor's son who has gone on to very senior jobs in government and business. He still sometimes works the bar where he used to earn his pocket money after school. Jay will tell you "Who's Who" among the Bullfrog's elite clientele.

All in all, the Bullfrog is THE place to stay when you're in the Belmopan area!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 December 2011

My Husband and I needed a place to stay in Belmopan as we drove south to Placencia at the end of November. We ended up at the Bullfrog Inn and were very happy with our stay. The staff running the restaurant and hotel check in were very friendly and helpful - we basically just needed a place to sleep so we chose the "economy" room. We paid approx $60US for the night and we got a double bed, AC, TV with full cable, wi-fi, and a nice sized bathroom - just no balcony...The thing we were most impressed with was the cleanliness though....we travel quite a bit for work, and this is one of the cleanest hotel rooms we've seen! We had the dinner special in the attached restaurant and a couple Belikin beers each and the bill came to about $30US. If you need a place to crash in Belmopan - check this place out!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BrucenTara
Reviewed 28 November 2011

this hotel was very overprised, i was shown a clean room but was given a filthy room where the carpet stunk like mildew, I had to use airfreshener in order to stay one night. if they call this place a top hotel in belmopan then i would hate to see a regular hotel. I will never stay there again and i would not recommmend this place to anyone. I had to put the blankets on the floor to walk on
because the carpet was dirty and stained.this hotel was a piece of crap.

Room Tip: look elsewhere
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank DesdeAriza
Reviewed 15 July 2011

The hotel was nice. Not 5 star but nice. The rooms were clean. Air conditioner worked great. At $110 US for 3 people for a room of this quality was a little steep. It is $30 for each additional person over 2 per room. I could understand this if it included breakfast but it did not. I would stay there again because there are not many other choices. I know, I looked.

Room Tip: Rooms were clean and nice.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Speckred17
Reviewed 22 July 2009

I stayed in a regular (as opposed to economy) room at the Bullfrog in in early July. I met a friend in Belmopan, and I am not keen in staying in people's houses so I stayed at the Bullfrog Inn.

The regular rooms are spacious (the economy rooms are smaller but have the same ameneties including AC and TV I'm told) and they have nice comfortable beds. The bathroom was large with a tub and not simply a shower - great for a nice soak after a long day walking. They had plenty of bath linens including flannels for your face (washcloths) often lacking in many Central American hotels.

The room had a desk, lamp and table. It was great for getting a little work done. The wireless access is only in the dining room and bar area, but with my external antenna I was able to pick up a pretty good connection in room 19 - fairly close to the dining room.

There are plenty of rooms overlooking the parking if you want to keep an eye on your car, and there is a small balcony as well if you want to take morning coffee there.

The television had more cable stations that I get at home. US, Mexican, Guatemalan, of course stations from Belieze, as well as two Japanese language stations and a Chinese language station. I think there were 107 stations. I didn't spend too much time watching TV as I can do that at home.

It is very convenient to the government offices, and across the street is a pharmacy and doctors' office. There is a shopping plaza with a dry cleaners perhaps 1/4 mile away.

The room does have some older furnishings but they were clean and in good repair. The bed was not too hard like many others in that part of the world and the pillows were very good.

I had dinner in the restaurant and I had one of the greatest Bacon Cheeseburgers I have ever had, along with two Belikan beers, and a Chicken Boca (a bowl of their version of McNuggets). It was less than 20 USD.

If no one is at the check in desk, wander over to the bar as that is where the manager is in the evenings. (Working not drinking) The rooms had plenty of locks on the door and were quite secure. The off street parking is good as well. The US Embassy is 1/2 mile away as is the British High Commission, and Brazil, El Salvador, Venezuela, Mexico, and India, (The rest are Belize City.) The general hospital is steps away.

You are about an hour's drive from the Guatemala border, and perhaps 90 minutes - 2 hrs from Tikal by car if the border crossing is quick. All of the staff I saw were at least bilingual and some trilingual. The staff was pleasant and attentive.

I heartily recommend this hotel if you need a break from the road or just want a reasonable place to relax.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business