“Excellent service”

Ian Anderson's Caves Branch Adventure Company
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Nestled in a lush 50 thousand acre estate, Caves Branch Jungle Lodge is an escape from the hustle and bustle of the world. From the moment you step foot at the Lodge, you are immersed in the tranquility of this calm oasis. Take in your surroundings which are not sanitized from the jungle and become one with nature. You can only believe your experience once you step into our world of adventure but once you do, it will never be forgotten.
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Due to floods our excursion to the popular waterfall tour was cancelled. Eugene called us prior to arrival and offered to upgrade us to the Black Hole drop. The experience was different but nonetheless memorable going down the 300 foot sinkhole. Upon return, Eugene made sure that we were comfortable and were able to use the facilities to swim and take a shower. He exemplifies outstanding service. Great job!!

Reviewed 25 June 2013

We enjoyed the Black Hole Drop excursion with Cave's Branch. The staff was very knowledgeable and helpful, and encouraging on the tough jungle trek. When the description says vigorous hike, what they mean is difficult, strenuous, not for the out-of-shape. Seriously. I'm physically fit, and at the time of this adventure was in the late stages of training for a half marathon. It was difficult!! There were several times I was actually using my arms to pull myself up...crawling up the side of the mountain. The extreme humidity made it even more challenging. It was definitely extreme, but brought a real sense of accomplishment when you reached the top. Good trip!

Reviewed 24 April 2013

Best value you get 4.5 hours in the cave both tubing and climbing it combines both fun and culture as you see Mayan artifacts and natural cave wonders highly recommend ask for Pablo best guide ever!!!

1  Thank Mcmorrison
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Ian Anderson's Caves Branch Adventure Company is a top notch tour guiding operation. Were were highly impressed by their guides' knowledge and skill. They'd obviously been trained well, and have done the tour 100's of times. Things went off without a hitch, but they did seem prepared for anything.

The Black Hole Drop is a must do adventure if you like adrenaline, hiking, and exploring. You hike for the better part of an hour, and get to a huge sinkhole. You then walk around the outside of the sinkhole to get to the rappelling area. You rappel the first 20 or so feet, and then you are hanging over the pit. You then lower yourself into the sinkhole; actually, they pretty much lower you into it. It's a fun ride, and if you haven't rappelled before, you'll get a huge burst of adrenaline during those first 20 feet.

Once inside the sinkhole, you have a delicious lunch on a natural rock table. Then you get to explore the inside of the sinkhole. There are caves there, and they'll show you were you can spend a night on an air mattress if you want a special honeymoon night. Unique, to say the least. You then hike out, and back to the vehicles. I highly recommend this tour, and IACB!

1  Thank DrFeelAwesome
Reviewed 4 April 2013

We did not lodge here, but went on The Black Hole drop excursion through Ian Anderson's. It is ONLY offered through them since the sinkhole is on their property. Their website gives a great overview & photos.

There is a minimum of 2 people for this excursion. My only complaint is that we had to PREPAY with a credit card -- which meant I received an international fee/charge on my credit card. I wish they would have let me pay in cash when I arrived. Nonetheless, the staff was very helpful at answering all of my many questions beforehand & Rene in particular was very prompt at responding to emails.

We stopped by Ian Anderson's a day before our trip just to confirm. I forget the guy's name who is sort of the front desk staff/first point of contact, but he offered to give us a tour of the lodge in case we wanted to stay there next time. Furthermore, he allowed us to use their swimming pool, hot tub & on-site botanical garden (which has bazillions of orchids) for *free* after our Black Hole Drop experience. How sweet!

The Black Hole Drop experience was INTENSE & very difficult as it is uphill for about 2 hours, in slick conditions. The walk back was much easier & quicker comparatively. It's so worth it though (there was a somewhat older couple with us who were never rushed). The guides allowed us to stop at our leisure, identified local flora & fauna (saw a redrump tarantula & jaguar paw prints). All in all it was wonderful... AND THATS BEFORE THE ACTUAL RAPPELLING!

Almost everyone in the group had never rappelled before, but the guides gave great instruction & an overview of the equipment so I felt very safe. Lunch consisted of make-your-own burritos but everything was tasty! Can't thank Ian Anderson's enough for their professionalism & hospitality!