Caves Branch is really, really fantastic at what it does. This is not a beach resort but an adventure lodge, albeit a high-class one. If you are not into jungle adventures, this place isn't for you and you won't enjoy yourself. The whole point of this place is to go on their adventure excursions every day. There are many to choose from, and they are all awesome. We did the Belize Zoo and zip-lining, cave tubing, the Black Hole Drop, and saw Mayan ruins. We thoroughly enjoyed all of it!
First of all, the accommodations are wonderful....BUT...this place is smack in the middle of the jungle. You should know that before spending any money. The resort is not sanitized from their surroundings, so you will run into lizards, spiders, large insects, snakes, and you hear howler monkeys at night. The rooms are lovely and spacious though. We stayed in a treehouse suite. The outdoor shower was the best part. :)
The pool and dining area are quite nice too. We spent every afternoon at the pool. You need a pool after some of those rigorous excursions! My one complaint about this place, and it's rather minor, would be the food. Don't get me wrong, it's good. Very well-executed. But it's American food. I'm a huge foodie, and I'd been hoping for local food, and I was a bit disappointed to be served stuff like beef stew and mashed potatoes. But it probably doesn't bother many guests, and like I said, it's quite tasty. You're not getting rubber chicken and mushy rice or anything like that. Breakfast was probably my favorite part!
The staff is amazing, they are so welcoming and friendly. Ian Anderson is usually around, and he's a great guy who really welcomes and interacts with his guests. His family is really nice too. Dinner is a social thing, you sit in long cafeteria-style tables and talk with the other guests. It's really fun. The guides who work there take you on the adventures during the day. All our guides were knowledgeable, friendly, and really good at what they do. Safety comes first at Caves Branch. These guys and gals are professionals.
I would recommend every excursion we took. And overall I would definitely recommend this place. However, you will only like it if you are somewhat physically fit, enjoy the outdoors, like adventurous activities like rappelling 300 feet off a cliff and/or crawling around on rocks in caves in the dark with a flashlight helmet, don't have a problem with creepy-crawlies, and are social by nature. If that does describe you, then you simply must visit Caves Branch once in your life! You will LOVE it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the lush rainforest of central Belize, Caves Branch Jungle Lodge offers visitors the opportunity to immerse in a culture of mid-range to extreme adventures. From the guest rooms that are open to the sights and sounds of the jungle, some of which are thatched in the ancient style of the Maya to our luxurious Treehouse suites, your experience should be something that must be experienced to be believed and once experienced, truly-never forgotten! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotel.de, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, Booking.com, Priceline and Cancelon so you can book your Ian Anderson's Caves Branch Jungle Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ian Anderson`s Caves Branch Jungle Hotel Belmopan
- Ian Anderson's Caves Branch Jungle Lodge Belize/Belmopan