Super Palm Resort
US$118
US$105
US$123
  • Pool
Calico Jack's Village(Seven Miles El Progresso)
US$132
  • Restaurant
Hidden Valley Inn(Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve)
US$267
US$212
Blancaneaux Lodge(Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve)
US$344
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
Priceline
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 August 2009

Horrible customer service; none of the ammenties listed on the web site; service was terrible

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank nana_newknee
Reviewed 12 August 2009

Save yourself and stay away! They had a terrible ant problem. The "swimming pool" was empty and there was no TV. The owner was inconsistent with meal pricing and portions between guests. She over charged for EVERYTHING! $87.50 for an $8.50 and bottle of wine that was susposed to be a "gift" to toast our marriage and $70 for chips and salsa that was susposed to be a snack while we waited for dinner. Save yourself the time and aggrevation.

• Stayed: August 2009
4  Thank teasley1920
Reviewed 1 June 2009

I very rarely ever leave a negative review on places I stay. But since I rely heavily upon Trip Advisor when I choose accommodations, I feel like I should be totally honest so that others know what they are getting into with this place.

First of all, the name 'resort' is most misleading. We are NOT resort-goers, so to speak, so I'm not basing my review on those standards, just making it clear that it is far from the connotation of the word 'resort'.

This place pretty much looks like someone's house in the middle of a pasture.. It is a beautiful setting in it's own right, but one needs to have the right picture of what they are going to find. It is a few miles from the actual town of Belmopan ('maybe' 4-5 mi) so if you have a car, it will work ok for you.

Buried in their website there is something about transportation costs into town (under the link 'touring/rental fees', at the bottom of the page) Since we had our own guide we had arranged some day trips with and we weren't planning on using their 'tour' services, I didn't think to even look at that link... I had emailed previous to our stay and was told 'we drive our guests to town as often as needed'.. NO mention at ALL about cost... My mistake, I suppose for not being more specific.. The cost for that service is beyond outrageous. It was going to cost us $40 RT for 2 of us just to go a few miles into town and back. We opted to catch a ride into town on the highway and rode the bus back.

The rooms are VERY small and no place to even sit your luggage. I don't like to put mine on the floor so it was an issue for me. NO counter space whatsoever in the bathroom. The accommodations are pretty sad and tired looking as well.. the bathroom left quite a bit to be desired.

The breakfast was 'ok' but nothing to rave about. Also I felt that we were beyond overcharged for what we got. I've had beachfront island accommodations for less. Our bill for 2 nights came to $187.00. Ridiculous.

The receptionist was very kind and sweet to us; however, she was fairly rude to our guide who was helping us to bring our things into our room. He came back to pick us up the next day and she was rude again. I felt really bad about that since he is a wonderful and kind man.

There really aren't any what I would call 'decent' accommodations in Belmopan. We checked out quite a few in the area for a future tour group and we will stay at the Black Orchid Resort. MUCH nicer accommodations.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank netmadre
Reviewed 7 May 2009

Super Palm Resort was one of the highlights of our stay in Belize. If you like the Holiday Inn, this is not the place for you. But for people like us who hate impersonal chain hotels (and that beige stucco they all seem to be made of), this was exactly what we wanted: someplace comfortable, clean, unique, fun, and memorable.

Super Palm Resort is off the Western Highway, just outside of Belmopan. (It's easy to find - it's right off the main road, and well-marked.) It's on a gravel road all by itself, in open countryside with palm trees and other native plants and trees, and a couple of palupas (thached structures) -- the place has a rustic beauty. The hotel part of the building has nice rooms along a tiled hallway. The rooms are small, but not too small. We found our bed very comfortable, with plenty of pillows. There's air conditioning.

We spent most of our time at the hotel in the patio, which is a wood-frame structure attached to the main lodging -- it's an open-air patio, but with netting to keep out the bugs. (I found the reviewer apsb's description of the patio as "a small place with plastic chairs and tables on a concrete floor, all protected by a net" to be deeply misleading. Yes, the patio has a concrete floor and is protected by netting -- thank God, given the bugs in Belize -- and there are some plastic chairs next to the many wooden tables and formal dining chairs. But take a look at the picture, and you will see it's far from the dismal place that apsb's description would indicate.) We ate all of our dinners there (the food at the Super Palm was so good and varied, we didn't feel the need to try to find good dinner restaurants in Belmopan) and watched movies there at night.

The Super Palm has a free wireless Internet connection, which works both in the rooms and on the patio. Several people staying at the Super Palm chose it because it's apparently hard to get good Internet (and even harder to get free Internet) in hotels in inland Belize -- even in Belmopan, which is the capital!

Kathy and Bob, the owners, prepare breakfast and dinner (though you don't have to eat there if you don't want to). Their food is GREAT, the best I had in Belize. And they'll prepare whatever you want (they'd ask us in the morning what we'd like for dinner, and offer a dizzying number of alternatives), and they'll fit dinner to your schedule -- as long as they know you will be eating with them that night, they'll fix dinner for you whenever you get in, even if it's late. Breakfast is $5 U.S., for which you get a main course (eggs, French toast, etc.) and fruit. You can also get yummie fruit smoothies for a minimal cost. Dinner entrees run about $15 U.S. They have beer and probably other alcohol too.

They show movies on a projection screen in the patio after (or during) dinner, which we thought was a really fun touch. They also have a billiards/pool table and board games. They have a above-ground swimming pool, though we didn't swim on this trip. They also have two parrots!

Kathy and Bob are incredibly hospitable, and go out of their way to make sure that everything is right for you.

Belize is pretty small, so the Super Palm was close to everything we wanted to see on the mainland. While we stayed there, we visited both the eastern side of the country and the western side, all the way to the coast, and we didn't feel like we spent too much time driving. It's much better than staying in Belize City, where comparably priced places are not as nice and the neighborhoods are MUCH sketchier.

There were only a couple of things that weren't so great (but, obviously, did not dissuade us from staying three nights there):

The rooms have what my husband call "the smell of the tropics" - Belize is hot and humid most of the year, so everyplace has a mildew smell. (We experienced the same thing in our room on Ambergris Caye, and we were staying in a hotel on the beach that cost twice as much as the Super Palm.) But the air conditioning helps a lot, and I didn't notice the smell much after the first night. My husband wasn't bothered by it at all.

The bathroom experience leaves a little to be desired. The bathroom is pretty to look at --clean and nice decorated. However, the water pressure in the shower is terrible, and the drains can be slow. (The drain was much better after my husband banged on it with his hand.) At least in Room #4's bathroom, there's also no real place to put your toiletry kit, other than on the lid of the toilet (or, if you have a very small one, jammed in next to the plant on the stand). They could use a couple of shelves in the bathroom.

The air conditioning comes from window units, which are loud. So if you can't sleep with noise (even if it's white noise), bring earplugs. Neither of us had any problem sleeping, though - me because pretty much nothing keeps me awake, and my husband because he wore his earplugs.

I highly recommend the Super Palms Resort.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2009

My wife and I spent three nights at the Super Palm Resort. The open air patio/dining area was exactly what you would expect in a rustic jungle setting. It "fit" the surroundings. The owners catered to our food requests and the meals were terrific! The rooms were not large but we were not cramped. The location was close to all of the activities we planned. All in all we had a very positive experience.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple