“Great authentic experience”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Belmopan
Durham, North Carolina
“Great authentic experience”
Reviewed 18 August 2009

The Super Palm Resort was an excellent central location for our adventures to several Mayan sites including, Tikal, Xunantunich, Jaguar Paw cave tubing, and horsebacking through a secondary jungle. The family running the hotel hooked us up with awesome tour guides and gave great services. The manager woke up as early as 5am to serve us the yummiest, belizean, continental breakfast I've ever had. The resort is fairly new and it lifted my spirits to hear the plans this family has for its future. The food was excellent. This place was very welcoming, family oriented, and made many special arrangements to customize our visit. We enjoyed a tour of the small growing gardens around the property and were amazed by the way it was used in the food. I would highly recommend staying here if you want some authentic belizean creole, raisin bread (mmmm) and extremely good service!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Latham, NY
Reviewed 17 August 2009

For my 50th birthday celebration, my favorite cousin and I traveled to Belize. I had been on my way to Belize to visit "play family" in Belize City for more than 30 years, and now I was finally getting there. My cousin discovered the Super Palm Resort on the AARP website and we took a chance because it got great reviews and the price could not be beat. As adventure travelers, we were prepared and expected to rough it, given the price for our accommodations. To our amazement, the Super Palm Resort was an incredible bargain for the quality, service and comfort. Rather than pay an inflated fee to take a cab from the airport to Belmopan, some locals told us how to take a cab to the local bus depot to catch a bus to Super Palm.

As we approached the resort we were thrilled to see the fruit and nut trees, guinea hens, turkey and beautiful flowers as we entered the property. We felt like we had made a good choice because this was not going to be some sterile, pretentious hotel/resort. We were going to get a real sense of what Belize is like. Initially, we shared a room with a queen bed, but the owners offered such great prices for our accommodations that we upgraded to a room with two double beds. Each morning we were greeted by the owner and her sons, and we enjoyed wonderful breakfasts that always started out with fresh local fruit like pitaya, banana, papaya, etc. and Belizean coffee or an herbal tea that is grown on the property. Kathy baked fresh bread for us, made eggs and anything else we desired. Sonya served our breakfast and cleaned our rooms daily.

Our first full day in Belmopan started out with a morning tour of the Super Palm, where we learned about the many fruit and nut trees, herbs, vegetables and flowers the owners were growing on the property for their guests' consumption, education and visual pleasure. We learned so much about Belize's flora before we ever left her property. Kathy shared her visions for the future growth at Super Palm, which encouraged us to consider planning future family reunions/trips with friends to Belize.

We had initially planned to stay at the Super Palm for 2 or 3 days, then stay in the Cays or Belize City for the rest of our vacation. Since our experience riding the local bus from Belize to Super Palm was so easy, we decided that we would try to get to other destinations (Xunantunich, San Ignacio, Cayo, etc.) via the local bus system. What better way to get to know the people and the country, while saving money and the environment? We met remarkable folks on the bus, as we traveled around the country, who would tell us about things that most tourist never get to know or experience. Each evening when returned to the Super Palm, Kathy and her charming sons made us feel so at-home by providing wonderful dinners, playing games and entertaining us. In the evening we would go for walk near Super Palm and watch the most incredible sunsets. Some evenings we Belmopan would get the intense cleansing rains that left the air smelling wonderful and clean.

On our third day at Super Palm, we resolved that would stay at the Super Palm for the rest of our vacation because the accommodations were impeccible, the food was great, our host made us feel like we had come back home (even though this was our first visit to Belize), and we might not feel this way elsewhere. THERE WAS NO REASON TO STAY ANYWHERE ELSE! When we road the bus from Belize City to Belmopan, my cousin would say that she could tell when we reached Belmopan/Super Palm Resort because the air was so refreshing away from the city. My family in Belize City had offered to let us stay with them, but Super Palm just felt so right for us.

One evening after dinner, Kathy's sons took the liberty of devising a birthday celebration for me. The youngest son danced for me, the middle son played piano and sang a song for me and the eldest son wrote me a poem. I was in tears by the end of their performances. I had no idea that they knew it was my 50th birthday.

I don't know what other people come to Belize for, but if you come to Belize to get to know the country and the people, the Super Palm Resort filled my heart with such love for Belize. It afforded me the opportunity to connect to the heart and soul of the country. It was hard to leave and I know I will come back soon, and so will my like-minded friends. The Super Palm Resort will always be my first choice when I visit Belize.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Kansas
Reviewed 16 August 2009

This was the most awful hotel that I have ever stayed in. The pictures contained within this site are not factual. There was no area for hiking, canoeing and the pool was empty. Furthermore, the dining facility was not a traditional banquet hall. It was merely a concrete slab enclosed by a wooden frame and chicken wire. This area was totally wet when it rained. It also allowed in many of the animals from outside (frogs, lizards, etc). Additionally, there was an outrageous insect/rodent problem. Many of the members of my group had ants in their beds, on their towels, and in their baggage when we left. I was lucky not to have ants; however, I did have centipedes in my bathroom (which did not have hot water, by-the-way). Further, there were numerous incidents with other insects. On a couple of occasions, we saw tarantulas in the hotel. When we alerted the staff of these problems, the male owner simply laughed and stated, "Are you afraid of a little spider?" and disregarded our concerns. Finally, the staff was very deceptive and tricked us into paying extremely inflated prices for food. For example, the staff charged additional fees for menu items that should have been provided with our meals. They also charged $35.00 USD/ 70.00 BZD for two platters of stale tortilla chips and salsa. (about one large bag of chips in total). Please do yourself a favor and do not stay here. For any information, please contact me at e_m_conley@yahoo.com.

• Stayed August 2009
5 Thank emconley27

Travellers are raving about these Belmopan hotels

texas
Reviewed 14 August 2009

Horrible customer service; none of the ammenties listed on the web site; service was terrible

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank nana_newknee
New Jersey
Reviewed 12 August 2009

Save yourself and stay away! They had a terrible ant problem. The "swimming pool" was empty and there was no TV. The owner was inconsistent with meal pricing and portions between guests. She over charged for EVERYTHING! $87.50 for an $8.50 and bottle of wine that was susposed to be a "gift" to toast our marriage and $70 for chips and salsa that was susposed to be a snack while we waited for dinner. Save yourself the time and aggrevation.

• Stayed August 2009
4 Thank teasley1920
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 1 June 2009

I very rarely ever leave a negative review on places I stay. But since I rely heavily upon Trip Advisor when I choose accommodations, I feel like I should be totally honest so that others know what they are getting into with this place.

First of all, the name 'resort' is most misleading. We are NOT resort-goers, so to speak, so I'm not basing my review on those standards, just making it clear that it is far from the connotation of the word 'resort'.

This place pretty much looks like someone's house in the middle of a pasture.. It is a beautiful setting in it's own right, but one needs to have the right picture of what they are going to find. It is a few miles from the actual town of Belmopan ('maybe' 4-5 mi) so if you have a car, it will work ok for you.

Buried in their website there is something about transportation costs into town (under the link 'touring/rental fees', at the bottom of the page) Since we had our own guide we had arranged some day trips with and we weren't planning on using their 'tour' services, I didn't think to even look at that link... I had emailed previous to our stay and was told 'we drive our guests to town as often as needed'.. NO mention at ALL about cost... My mistake, I suppose for not being more specific.. The cost for that service is beyond outrageous. It was going to cost us $40 RT for 2 of us just to go a few miles into town and back. We opted to catch a ride into town on the highway and rode the bus back.

The rooms are VERY small and no place to even sit your luggage. I don't like to put mine on the floor so it was an issue for me. NO counter space whatsoever in the bathroom. The accommodations are pretty sad and tired looking as well.. the bathroom left quite a bit to be desired.

The breakfast was 'ok' but nothing to rave about. Also I felt that we were beyond overcharged for what we got. I've had beachfront island accommodations for less. Our bill for 2 nights came to $187.00. Ridiculous.

The receptionist was very kind and sweet to us; however, she was fairly rude to our guide who was helping us to bring our things into our room. He came back to pick us up the next day and she was rude again. I felt really bad about that since he is a wonderful and kind man.

There really aren't any what I would call 'decent' accommodations in Belmopan. We checked out quite a few in the area for a future tour group and we will stay at the Black Orchid Resort. MUCH nicer accommodations.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank netmadre
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 7 May 2009

Super Palm Resort was one of the highlights of our stay in Belize. If you like the Holiday Inn, this is not the place for you. But for people like us who hate impersonal chain hotels (and that beige stucco they all seem to be made of), this was exactly what we wanted: someplace comfortable, clean, unique, fun, and memorable.

Super Palm Resort is off the Western Highway, just outside of Belmopan. (It's easy to find - it's right off the main road, and well-marked.) It's on a gravel road all by itself, in open countryside with palm trees and other native plants and trees, and a couple of palupas (thached structures) -- the place has a rustic beauty. The hotel part of the building has nice rooms along a tiled hallway. The rooms are small, but not too small. We found our bed very comfortable, with plenty of pillows. There's air conditioning.

We spent most of our time at the hotel in the patio, which is a wood-frame structure attached to the main lodging -- it's an open-air patio, but with netting to keep out the bugs. (I found the reviewer apsb's description of the patio as "a small place with plastic chairs and tables on a concrete floor, all protected by a net" to be deeply misleading. Yes, the patio has a concrete floor and is protected by netting -- thank God, given the bugs in Belize -- and there are some plastic chairs next to the many wooden tables and formal dining chairs. But take a look at the picture, and you will see it's far from the dismal place that apsb's description would indicate.) We ate all of our dinners there (the food at the Super Palm was so good and varied, we didn't feel the need to try to find good dinner restaurants in Belmopan) and watched movies there at night.

The Super Palm has a free wireless Internet connection, which works both in the rooms and on the patio. Several people staying at the Super Palm chose it because it's apparently hard to get good Internet (and even harder to get free Internet) in hotels in inland Belize -- even in Belmopan, which is the capital!

Kathy and Bob, the owners, prepare breakfast and dinner (though you don't have to eat there if you don't want to). Their food is GREAT, the best I had in Belize. And they'll prepare whatever you want (they'd ask us in the morning what we'd like for dinner, and offer a dizzying number of alternatives), and they'll fit dinner to your schedule -- as long as they know you will be eating with them that night, they'll fix dinner for you whenever you get in, even if it's late. Breakfast is $5 U.S., for which you get a main course (eggs, French toast, etc.) and fruit. You can also get yummie fruit smoothies for a minimal cost. Dinner entrees run about $15 U.S. They have beer and probably other alcohol too.

They show movies on a projection screen in the patio after (or during) dinner, which we thought was a really fun touch. They also have a billiards/pool table and board games. They have a above-ground swimming pool, though we didn't swim on this trip. They also have two parrots!

Kathy and Bob are incredibly hospitable, and go out of their way to make sure that everything is right for you.

Belize is pretty small, so the Super Palm was close to everything we wanted to see on the mainland. While we stayed there, we visited both the eastern side of the country and the western side, all the way to the coast, and we didn't feel like we spent too much time driving. It's much better than staying in Belize City, where comparably priced places are not as nice and the neighborhoods are MUCH sketchier.

There were only a couple of things that weren't so great (but, obviously, did not dissuade us from staying three nights there):

The rooms have what my husband call "the smell of the tropics" - Belize is hot and humid most of the year, so everyplace has a mildew smell. (We experienced the same thing in our room on Ambergris Caye, and we were staying in a hotel on the beach that cost twice as much as the Super Palm.) But the air conditioning helps a lot, and I didn't notice the smell much after the first night. My husband wasn't bothered by it at all.

The bathroom experience leaves a little to be desired. The bathroom is pretty to look at --clean and nice decorated. However, the water pressure in the shower is terrible, and the drains can be slow. (The drain was much better after my husband banged on it with his hand.) At least in Room #4's bathroom, there's also no real place to put your toiletry kit, other than on the lid of the toilet (or, if you have a very small one, jammed in next to the plant on the stand). They could use a couple of shelves in the bathroom.

The air conditioning comes from window units, which are loud. So if you can't sleep with noise (even if it's white noise), bring earplugs. Neither of us had any problem sleeping, though - me because pretty much nothing keeps me awake, and my husband because he wore his earplugs.

I highly recommend the Super Palms Resort.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belmopan
Sleeping Giant Lodge
#1 of 1 in Cristo Rey
Mariposa Jungle Lodge
Mariposa Jungle Lodge
#1 of 1 in San Antonio

Been to Super Palm Resort? Share your experiences!