“Truly a hidden jewel!”

Ranked #8 of 17 Belmopan B&B and Inns
Corozal Town, Belize
“Truly a hidden jewel!”
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Yamwits.....may it always keep its simplicity with the Belizean beauty and charm of the lodging and the Smith family. Yamwits is truly a hidden jewel and one of those special places that are becoming harder to find.

Will & Gail
Corozal, Consesejo
Belize

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
massachusetts
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Miss Joy and family were fabulous! There were a few small problems that were quickly addressed to make our stay a trip to remember. They really went out of their way to cook fabulous meals for us and to make sure they had breakfast ready for us on our early morning excursions. They really went above and beyond to make us all happy. Especially the fabulous coffee for us coffee junkies!!!! The family grandma stories were a bonus!!! Thanks for such a fabulous time!!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Huachuca City
Reviewed 18 March 2013

From the time you turn into their driveway til the time you leave, Joy Smith and her family and staff do what they can to make your stay wonderful. It is a quiet little place set back off the road with beautiful surroundings. It is a wonderful place to walk around and enjoy the natural surroundings. Thankfully we got there in time to enjoy a delicious dinner prepared for us. On our walk back to the rooms we got to enjoy the fireflies as they danced around.
The rooms are basic but what do you expect, it is exactly what we wanted. They are clean and comfortable and if you need anything all you have to do is ask.
When we woke up in the morning we walk through the orange trees and a beautiful creek on the other side. As we walked we could enjoy the birds flying around and chirping. Then we got to enjoy another delicious meal prepared for us.
The family atmosphere and love is a pleasant surprise. We loved hearing about the family history and stories. Thanks for sharing with us.

Room Tip: It is a small place, so no room is bad.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank hcfirelady
Cozumel, Mexico
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Stayed at Yamwits Lodge for 3 nights. Great location. Quiet, and peaceful. It's a family run lodge. Couldn't have asked for better service. The food was wonderful. But the hospitality that they showed us was amazing. Can't say enough about the family.
Highly recommended to stay at.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank HOPPIE19
Vermont
Reviewed 5 March 2008

Yamwits Lodge provided the perfect natural setting for our first days in Belize. My husband and I were eager to relax and enjoy a quiet break from our hectic work life. The groves and wildlife at Yamwits, combined with the excellent and personable service of owner Joy Smith, her sons, and staff, gave us the respite we needed on our journey. They went out of their way to arrange meals, tours, and travel arrangements. We went without a car (rode the bus) and had no trouble getting to Caves' Branch, the Blue Hole park, and the horse farm adjacent to the property. My husband went on an unforgettable horseback ride into the surrounding mountains, led by Kim (owner of horse farm), whom he stumbled upon when exploring the property.

The rooms are very basic, but comfortable, and open to a veranda with views of mountains, groves, and bird life. This is not luxury in the resort sense, but for those seeking natural serenity, this is the place!

Thank you Joy, Tommy, Errol, Kim, and the staff at the restaurant for your fabulous service and hospitality.

Kate and Josh

• Liked — Natural setting, personable service
  • Disliked — only food around is the one restaurant, but otherwise, nothing!
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank sinzos
Charleston, SC
Reviewed 27 February 2008

I just read a review of the Yamwits by another traveler and felt it was a bit unfair. It shows how people can see things so differently. Because of having always had a great time there, I decided to recount some of my experiences.
I stumbled on the Yamwits a few years ago while driving the Hummingbird Highway between Belmopan and Placencia. I stopped for some cold water and a snack at their small restaurant and that's where I tasted the best bread pudding I have ever eaten. (In fact, during my last stay the owner prepared some just for me...still as delicious as ever.) I discovered that they had rooms for rent and decided to stay for a few days. It was a wonderful experience and I have returned several times over the years. I have never been disappointed. It is not an expensive place and I always felt I got more than I had paid for. The bird life is incredible and I enjoyed rising early to see the parrots and toucans feeding in the fruit trees. I watched for hours as a blue bird (don't know the name) challenged his image in my car mirrors and as the Vermillion Flycatchers darted all over the place. The sunrise has to be seen to be believed and all those stars at night...they seem to go on forever.
Belize can seem pretty remote at times. No matter what guide books tell you, you should understand that travelling by bus can be haphazard at best. I, personally, would not try to visit without renting a car. They are expensive, but you miss a lot when you are dependent on bus schedules. They do not run with the same punctuality that most people expect when they are from the U.S., Canada or Europe.
The Yamwits does not pretend to be more than it is--a friendly, clean and unpretentious place. I have always found the staff willing to go the extra mile for a visitor. I know from personal experience that the owners of this will do whatever they can to make their guests feel at home. And what a home it is, situatied in a beautiful valley with acres and acres of orange trees surrounding the place.
Two or three years ago, I had the pleasure of meeting a team of archeologists who were staying there. Fascinating folks with many tales of the work they were doing in the area. I guess I could go on and on about the Yamwits, but it is necessary to visit the place to fully understand what it has going for it. I have recommended it from my very first stay and continue to do so.
I have always told the managers whether or not I would be eating there and they planned accordingly. I have never had a bad visit.
CRB

• Liked — Location, wildlife,views.
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank crbbrc
Edinburgh
Reviewed 20 February 2008

The location is great but we left disappointed about our experience. Basically we were only staying for one night and it was a stop over to allow us to go caving at caves branch (great place for accessing that). But (and i'm sure as with many other travellers to Belize) we did not have a car. No probs accessing it by bus, just ask to get off at mile 35 and 1/2. But got there and there was a bar at the end of the road, with a house at the other end - we walked passed the bar and didnt get the impression we should check in there (no-body called us over from the bar) so walked up the road to the house where we saw a clearer - we explained we were staying and she said she'd pop back down to the bar to get our key (so we were meant to check in there - no idea why the guy didnt call us over as it was clear we were staying - nothing else there!). Anyway, all fine, went caving with Marcos (which was excellent) and then got back, went up to the bar and asked what was for dinner that night - the guy looked thoroughly unconcerned and said they were closing up now (it was 5PM!). We were speechless and said well where could we go for dinner (there are no shops, restuarants or any other buildings at all around) and the guy shrugged and said there was a place 3 and half miles up the road!!! We didnt have a car so were resigned to the fact we'd have to have pringles for dinner! Anyway, Margos, our guide, obviously thought it was rediculous too and offered us a lift to the nearest place (even though it was the other way to where he was going!). I was really nice off him and in the end 'Over the top' as a nice dinner and we had to walk the 3 and half miles back. Ok not the end of the world but if you have a place for people to stay that far from the nearest facilities, dont just close the bar and resturant up at 5pm and be so unhelpful when we asked how we'd find a mile. I booked months in advance so they had plenty warning and it was clear we didnt have a car. Further to this i genuinely think $50US is far too expensive for what you get - yes the room is fine and the view and setting are lovely but from my experience of travelling in Belize (and around) that really is car too much - i'd say $40-45 would be far. Those are my honest thoughts.

• Stayed February 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank calumrobertson
poodle1Belize, Owner at Yamwits Lodge, responded to this review, 26 February 2008
Because Yamwits is in a fairly isolated area our restaurant/bar is always open for guests, except in one isolated and very unfortunate instance - our sincere apologies. Altough it is not a requirement, our guests normally indicate which meals they require - we sometimes e-mail our menu just to give an idea of what we have to offer. Our Lodge is very simple, as indicated in our web site, but we pride ourselves in cleanliness and the manner in which we treat our guests. We regret any incident to the contrary and hope that sometime in the future we be given the opportunity to show the service that Yamwits normally provides.