“So bad it's almost funny...”
Review of Central O'tel

Central O'tel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Ignacio
Central O'tel
Ranked #24 of 33 San Ignacio B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 March 2010

I don't think there are building codes in Belize. If there are, this place sure didn't follow them. Aside from the obvious construction and "decorating" oddities. The hotel owner puts this place in the running for Ripley's Believe It or Not. Kenny, a.k.a. "Big Daddy" seems nice enough at first but wait...My friend and I were backpacking and looking for a cheap place to leave our stuff while we took a night tour of the ATM caves (reccommended). The bargain price of $25 BZ ($12.50 US) seemed like a good idea. When we got back from the tour at 2am my friend dropped his wallet getting out of the truck. Thinking he left it in the truck he went to the corner to flag down our guide to look for it while I got the gear together to take upstairs. Looking back on the situation, the local guy on the balcony saw an opportunity to make a quick buck. Apparently he saw someone pick "something" up from the street. Coincidentally, he knew the guy that picked it up. This is about the point where Big Daddy got involved. He approached us a concerned proprieter wanting to help. Of course, he needed assurances that a reward would be in it for him as well as his buddy that spotted the wallet and we can't forget the "crack head" that has the wallet. He didn't want to get a taxi, scale a fence in "crack town" and snatch this guy up to get the wallet back if there wasn't something in it for him. That wouldn't be entirely unreasonable if there didn't take an hour and a half to figure out that offerring $50 BZ was an insult and they wanted $400 US for their troubles. It seemed obvious that everyone was working together to scam the "rich Americans". They didn't seem to understand that if we were rich Americans, we wouldn't have been staying there. Once we settled on $300 US it took them all of ten minutes to come back with the wallet and another 30 minutes to figure out that without handing over the bank card in the wallet they couldn't get paid. Lesson learned on our part...you get what you pay for. If the room itself weren't bad enough, the "staff" made me not wish this place on my worst enemies. It was an expensive lesson and the four star San Ignacio Resort up the hill would have been a cheaper option.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank rjenroute

Reviewed 3 January 2010

Arrived In Belize from Mexico, skipped Belize CIty, everyone told me to, arrived in San Ignacio near the Guatemala Border, just after Christmas. Belize is such a culture shock after, Mexico, a virtual island in Latin America. Everone speak great English which is very helpful. Found myself looking for a hotel late at night, I picked the cheapest dorm room place I could find, unfortunately no one was at home, some mildy annoying local, helped to this place Central O'Tel, for reasons I will go into further (DON'T STAY HERE). Anyway the 3 days I spent in the town were very enjoyable. Visited the 2 temples one close to the town (Cathal Pech) and the other Xunatunich (much more impressive) near the town. The latter can be reached on the Benque bus BZ$ 1 each way 10km from the town. The second day went on a tour to ATM (Mayan Cave), used an operator, sorry can't remember his name, that has an office out of Casa Blanca on the main street in San Igancio, He was very good, Only charged US$65, where the other operators I tried wanted 10 dollars more. The tour guide was very knowledgable, usually does tours to Tikal, and excellent as our group only had three people and left early. We were first into the cave and got to walk through the clear water, unlike when leaving and the masses had churned up the slit. Recommend the tour, not mainly for the Mayan sacrifice sites but the caves are beautiful. Amazing formations and quite an adventure.

Anway getting back to the Central O'Tel. It seems to be one of the few places run by Kreoil people in the town the others seem to be Latino. Stange all the supermarkets in Belize are run by Chinese. It is such a cultural mix, was on a bus and this Mennonite guy behind was chatting in a Bob Marley accent. Even the Latinos speak English with a west indian accent. Back to the Hotel. The rooms were pretty shoddy, bed half broken and quite dirty but I could handle this as was US$10 a night, Belize is pricey. The first night was fairly uneventful. There was a cool rasta guy staying there, he runs a Banana Wine Company from it seems in room. He kept popping out of the room and playing a bongo drum, on the hotel balcony, when the brewing process was taking place. He gave away a few free bottles of his wine was really nice actually, Called Honey and Locust Banana Wine, look out for it if you are in San Ignacio, tasty, sweet, not strong at all.

Anyway, the second night I was in the hotel, turns out somebody went into the Wine makers room and pissed all over his stuff, and then tried to climb into bed with him, madness. The worst thoug was the shouting that went on for over an hour at 4 in the morning. Unbelievable. Not that the hotel owner said one thing about it in the morning. Well this guy the owner KennyG, he is called left a really bad taste in my mouth when leaving. The taxi driver told me it is a scam he does to tourists leaving his hotel. He first asks if you are coming back. If you say no he offers you a decent deal for getting to Flores, for US$17.50. He says his taxi guy will get you to the border and then he will have his guys waiting on the other side to take you to Flores. There is no other guys waiting at the border. He relies on the fact that the departure tax for Belize is almost US$20, so you wont be coming back to confront him. Annoying such a cheap and stupid shot. I mean I gave him my extra food when leaving even gave him the password of the internet place next door he could use on his computer. Anyway, even though that was [--], not going to let it spoil my trip to Belize a strange but cool country. Just DON'T STAY IN THE CENTRAL O'TEL.

1  Thank Macfhlann