“Homely and comfortable ”

Western Guest House
Ranked #11 of 35 San Ignacio B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Western guest house for four nights and enjoyed our stay. The rooms are cozy and clean. Nothing fancy or lavish but if you set your expectations you will be pleased with the balance of price and comfort.

Rodolfo and Julia were friendly, and made us feel welcome. Our room had air conditioning, free wifi, and we were free to make coffee in the common kitchen area.

The hotel itself is walking distance from the town center, so stores and restaurants are in easy reach, but the rooms are quiet (important for a good night's rest).

San Ignacio Town is also a good starting point for a lot of Mayan and nature tours. We visited Tikal, caracol, and ATM (can't miss!) during our visit. We also ate at Martha's, Serendib (least favorite), and Han-nah. Each restaurant has a down-to- earth homemade quality. Don't miss out on the delicious Marie Sharp's hot sauce.

I would recommend western guest house and would certainly stay there if I were to visit Belize again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kazi I

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Highly recommend staying at the Western Guest House! It was absolutely lovely! It's very close to town, just a short walk from the bus stop. The house was very clean and comfortable. My friend and I loved our room and having our own private bathroom. Julia was so sweet and kind - offering information and answering all our questions. She offered us coffee in the morning, and watermelon and fried jacks. It was like we were old friends. Loved our time there! If you are going to San Ignacio definitely stay at the Western Guest House! It's the best!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank elizabeth27ann
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We had a group of twelve "students studying abroad", so we had the whole place to ourselves for a week. There are 6 or 7 guest rooms, all with their own private bathrooms. There was also a great room/common area that included a sitting area & an eat-in kitchen. The kitchen had all the things you needed (other than the food, of course) if you chose to "eat in". There was a large balcony across the front & one side for sitting outside & enjoying the local ambiance from above. The Guest House was secure as it only had one large gated entrance to the street & it was kept locked at all times. During the day, the business downstairs, a hardware store belonging to the owners of the Guest House, was open & you could actually walk through there instead of messing with unlocking the gate. We had no problems with anyone coming up through the store. Besides, each room had locks where you could secure your own room when you were out. Although the common areas were not air-conditioned, each room had its own AC & TV. TV's had cable, which included about 30 - 40 channels. You also had a closet in your room with a shelf for your suitcase & places to hang clothing. There was also a small wooden desk & chair in our room. The rooms were tidied up daily & the linens changed however often you liked. The bathroom/shower in our room was clean & served the purpose just fine. There was also laundry services offered on a daily basis.

The Guest House was on the "main drag" with the downtown "tourist" area about two blocks to the right. There was a grocery store (I used that term loosely!) angled across the street. When you first walk in the grocery, you'll wonder if it is a grocery store or a junk store, but you'll probably find what you need as long as it is a basic item. The students said there is a better grocery store in the area, but I didn't find it. The best place we found to eat was Hodys & it was about three blocks to the left, one street over from the front. It was an "eat outside", casual dining type of place & was nothing fancy, but it was a decent value for the money. Guava Limb - pricey & you may leave hungry. The food was okay, but for us, not worth the money. Fuevoes was to the right & down the first paved street to the left. It was a bar atmosphere, touristy, pricey & not for us. We also went to one of the places there on Burns Ave just a few blocks down from the Guest House. All those little places had decent food.

Now for things to do. Ask someone downstairs to recommend a tour guide or taxi driver for you or you can walk down the street to the right & there are tour companies. If you are really ambitious, you can walk to the San Ignacio Hotel (about 7 block & three of it UPHILL... killer) to the Green Iguana Project. As a photographer, I enjoyed it, but it would be more fun if you take children. They give 45 minute tours every hour & it cost about $18 USD if I remember correctly. You can also swim in the San Ignacio Hotels fancy pool for $10 USD. It was worth every penny being as I had the pool to myself for three hours!! I also visited the Belize Botanical Garden. They picked me up & dropped me back off. I did a self-guided tour alone & it was great. Also went to the Belize Zoo. It was about a 30 minute drive both ways, but again, I really enjoyed it. It was very natural, with paved pathways winding through the "natural" animal habitats. The Zoo was one of my favorite things I did on my own. With the group we went to two ruins & stopped at the Rio On Pools river along the way. If you get the chance DO GO THERE. There were beautiful waterfalls & we had it all to ourselves. As a photographer, our Rio On Pools stop was one of my favorites!

One final note. All the Belizian people I met were kind & friendly. And I was a woman on my own for a lot of the time. I walked around town with no worries of being bothered. So don't be afraid to get out there & see the REAL San Ignacio!!

If you can find a reliable

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Shirlee2u
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We stayed here for five nights and could not have been happier. It feels like a family home. Rodolfo could not have been nicer. He talked with us as we sat on the lovely porch swings upstairs about his life growing up in San Ignacio. He welcomed us as friends or family. They have a beautiful kitchen which guests use. it is all very clean with a lovely sitting area too, very comfortable. Our room had just been painted so Rodolfo offered to move us to another room. We loved the town too. It is a perfect place to explore the area from. We visited several caves and Mayan sites. It is easy and safe to walk into town and there are many women selling dinners at night. There is a great market with fresh fruits and vegetables. This was perhaps the nicest, friendliest place we stayed in our 2 months of travel. It is a great value, perfect for families, couples and those seeking quiet, clean, friendly lodging away from the traffic and noise of the center, yet in close walking distance.

Room Tip: We were in the front room, which people can sit outside of, but it has two windows, which is nice.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Peggy G
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Very nice guest house with 8 rooms, some big some moderate. All with optional AC. I have stayed here no fewer than 8 times in last two years. Julia and Rodolfo always there to help and make coffee in morning. Ruth handles the room services with military precision.
Close to all the attractions in town, market, square, bars and mall. Be sure to check out river and Sergio at Destiny Tours.

Room Tip: Take a rear hallway room for quite..
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank JResvcs
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I've stayed in three and viewed four accommodations (3 in San Ignacio) and Western is by far the best. It is located at the end of a pedestrian-only street (Burns) so very convenient and quiet - barely a walk to the center of town, the Cayo welcoming center, the market, numerous tour operators, restaurants, bus stop, etc. Ea. room has a double and single bed; towels and soap, fan and bottled water (this is big) provided. Love the kitchen (toaster, fridge, stove, blender!, etc.), common area and swing seating on balcony; the feeling is clean and quiet. I purchased a papaya each day to cut up for breakfast and evening snack. It is an OASIS and nice respite when you return from your various ventures of the day.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank luci-the-cat
Reviewed 22 February 2014

This guesthouse is very warm and welcoming. Located near the center of town, it is exceptionally quiet and a very short walk to a number of restaurants and convenient stores. The rooms are clean, spacious and receive daily housekeeping. The communal kitchen and living area is an added plus, and the wifi is fast. My wife and I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple