“A great stay!”
Review of J & R Guest House

J & R Guest House
Ranked #13 of 32 San Ignacio B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 January 2013

My boyfriend and I went to San Ignacio for only 2 nights and we decided to stay at J & R guesthouse because of the good reviews we were reading on tripadvisor. We got a room with an in suite bathroom, it was simple and clean with hot water and a fan. The price we paid was very reasonable considering the cleanliness of the place. The complimentary breakfast was simple (buns with butter and Jam plus coffee/tea), but it's enough to get you going in the morning. I'm not sure why some people were so shocked that the breakfast was so simple (I don't think that they advertised it as being a 4-star buffet)

John, the owner was super friendly and helpful. As many other reviewers have mentioned, he goes out of his way to make your stay enjoyable. He drove my bf and I into Santa Elena to grab some lunch, helped set us up with an ATM tour and even offered us a lift to the nearby ruins. He seemed to really love talking with his guests and enjoyed sharing Belize's history with everyone.

Overall, our stay here was fantastic! I would recommend this to anyone who is travelling or backpacking on a budget. The service and accommodations were great for what we paid :)

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wendy T
There are newer reviews for J & R Guest House

Reviewed 13 December 2012

For the most part, my stay was great at J&R's. In fact, the owner, John, is a generous man. I saw him act as a chauffeur when he didn't have room for a former guest. He drove her around town until she found a place that was comfortable for her. In my situation, I had lost my ATM card, and he picked up my replacement for me while I was doing a long walk from Spanish Lookout.

However, John crossed the line when he accused me of being an alcoholic because I was out the night before and woke up late for breakfast. I thought he was joking, but when he sat me down for some stern advice, I knew he was serious. I tried to put the situation to rest, but he kept bringing it up as I was hanging out with other people at the hotel. This is the main reason why I'm giving this an average rating instead of four stars.

Other than that, my stay was good. Most of the guests wake up at the same time for breakfast, and there's always an interesting conversation at the table. Breakfast is free, but it is only rolls and instant coffee. Other hotels in town offer a better breakfast, but are a tad bit pricier.

My room was clean, and I had my own bathroom. The shower has an electric heater. Again, you can find hotels with real hot showers, but they are pricier.

Internet costs $2BZE for use. It did work in my room, but sometimes the router is turned off when the owners go to bed at 9 p.m.

Sleep quality was poor. I can handle loud music, but roosters are problematic for me. There's one nearby that starts crowing at 2 a.m. and doesn't stop until evening. I didn't try ear plugs, but I don't think that would work in this situation. You may want to sleep with music.

Bottom line: If you enjoy nightlife or can't sleep because of roosters, find someplace else. If you're willing to put up with it for good conversation and some of the best service I've had, then this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: If you sleep late, you may not want the room that's outside the dining area. I know some of our...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 November 2012

My husband and I just checked out from J & R this morning in San Ignacio and now still travelling in Belize for our last 10 days holidays in this country. However, I'm so impatient to share my view here with you.

J&R is a home for travellers. The cleaness of the shared bathroom and toilette is excellent! The room floor and bed sheet are neat and tidy! I'm a detailed person, so I evaluate the level of 'cleaness' with details too. Most hostels can provide the white bed sheets, but rarely maintains the fan clean -- however, J & R is the rare one who takes care of all the little details.

Besides, J & R provides free breakfast, which many other hostels don't have such added value. The breakfast is not as fancy as in the resturant, but bread with butter and/or jam plus coffee are good enough to start your fresh day. We are happy about that. If you find you need an egg, you can buy it in the market (foot distance) and cook it at J & R's kitchen. They have all the equipments to make your own breafast.

I'd like to metion about John here. He might look very serious, but as long as you speak with him when you meet him, you will just find him like a lovely grandpa. He is the one prepare the table in the morning and boil water for making coffee. He spends the time with guests during breakfast time, as he is always ready to give help and info. Every guest likes John!

Worth to mention about Internet/Wifi, as I saw people had comment on that. In belize, the internet is very expensive if you install a kind of satelite one with high speed, or you have a slower cheaper one have limited band. So I wouldn't expect too much for using wifi in Belize, but there's internet coffe just down the road and it's 4 BZ dollar per hour. If you just need to check emails, you pay 1 BZ$ for 12 mins and 2 BZ$ for 30 mins.

Hope the above experience is helpful for you.

Yingzhi

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yingzhi
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The private room here was very clean and came with private bath, fan and cable TV as advertised. San Ignacio in general is a city we could have skipped, but this hostel was clean and friendly. We enjoyed having a free breakfast, even if it was just rolls with jam and instant coffee, and the book exchange. Other than that, John was really friendly and a good guy- really wants to make sure that what they get you what you need and help you have a great stay in Belize. There was internet and kitchen use, but we did not take advantage of those things. A couple things to note: if you walk up and rooms are open the rates are less than with reservations, and if you have a rental car there is space to park but I would suggest staying just outside of the city itself so you have access to all the local attractions in a quieter, more picturesque surrounding.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2012 via mobile

John the owner is a sweet old guy who makes you feel comfortable as soon as you arrive.
Cheap private rooms, hot shower, free water, free breakfast and great knowledge of the town.
The owner went out of his way to help us organize border crossing, dinners and tour of ATM (a must do).
Not a party hostel at all but only 2 streets from centre.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 28 May 2012

WARNING: Unless you are a backpacker, beware! This is nothing more than a hostel
with separate rooms sharing a dirty, tiny bathroom and kitchen.
My friend and I were promised a room with a private bath... which for a variety of excuses, never
became available. Their advertised breakfast was non existent- unless you're satisfied with day-old rolls and instant coffee. Absolutely no internet of any sort available to guests.
We stayed two nights and eventually left due to the rudeness of the owner who showed
no interest in accommodating to fulfil ANY of his advertised promises.
If there was a better business bureau or hotel board of standards, this place
would never stand up to code.

Room Tip: terrible tiny rooms (only a bed... nothing else.) The private room w bath never became available...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank birdyvet
Reviewed 18 May 2012 via mobile

We were only able to stay one night here (due to a reservation), but wished we could stay longer! The place was clean, cost was cheap, and John was extremely friendly and knowledgeable about the Cayo area! Highly recommended!

• Stayed: May 2012
#8 of 32 in San Ignacio
Rainforest Haven Inn
Rainforest Haven Inn
#3 of 32 in San Ignacio

Been to J & R Guest House? Share your experiences!