“Great budget-friendly place to stay!!”
Review of Rumors Resort

Rumors Resort
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in San Ignacio
Reviewed 5 February 2013

I stayed at Rumors hotel with my father in late January. I made reservations directly through the hotel instead of the other websites. Francisco was very prompt with his replies to my e-mails, offered great rates and made reliable room recommendations. Upon our arrival at the hotel, Francisco checked us into one of their new rooms. The room was CLEAN, spacious and very comfortable (the only downside was that we found a bunch of ants by the nightstand. We had to spray the area with bug spray. After that, we had no more issues.) Once we got settled in, we spent the next two days checking out the Mayan ruins. Rumors hotel is conveniently located close to both the Xunantunich and Cahal Pech sites, and not too far from the access road that takes you to Caracol (approx. 2.5hrs each way from the access road, but WELL WORTH IT). The hotel is also very close to San Ignacio (approx. 5-8min drive), so you're away from all the busy areas but still close enough to pop into town for supper or shopping. The hotel grounds are very nice, well maintained and clean. I really enjoyed and was completely satisfied with my stay at Rumors hotel. It was well worth the price and I would recommend it to any budget-conscious travellers.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the new rooms (or the newly renovated rooms).
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Rumors Resort

Reviewed 28 January 2013

Rumours Hotel is a fantastic, friendly and quiet place to stay just outside San Ignacio - a great place to crash out and relax after your Sightseeing/tubing/caving/hiking/jungle bashing tour in the surrounding area!

If you're arriving in San Ignacio by local bus - DON'T get off at in the town centre - Rumours is about 2 miles out of town and brilliantly all the buses heading to Benque pass by the main gate of the hotel. Just tell the driver/ticket collector to give you a shout when you get there. Taxis can take you there from the town centre (10BZD by day, 15BZD after dark) or of course the local bus runs about every half hour for 1.50BZD (it's one bus route from Belize city to San Ignacio and through to Benque at the border)

The Hotel is run by Frankie and Rosie who take care of everything you need! They can book tours for you (seemed to be through Mayawalk tours which are one of the biggest and best in town), call for taxis, recommend restaurants and give you tips for things to do in the area.

During my stay there the hotel was very quiet with only a few rooms being used - it gets busier at weekends with locals having a weekend off and coming for a bit or R&R from Belize City and elsewhere. This suited me with peace and quiet at night and waking up to Birdsong from the Jungle in the morning!

The hotel restaurant is open for breakfast and dinner and all the dishes on the menu are hand cooked by rosie to her own recipes - which are all very, very tasty!

The room and en-suite were both very clean and modern and the room had a small kitchen area with a fridge and mini worktop. There was also a mini coffee percolator - but only instant coffee provided and tea bags provided, which I suppose could work?!

All in all I had a great time here - I had tours booked during the day and by the time I got back to town after a full day out and about I was ready for a hot shower, dinner and beers and a good sleep!

Thanks Frankie and Rosie - you are fantastic!

Room Tip: They're all good - but some have a small patio looking out over the jungle in the distance
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Dave_Maison
Reviewed 26 January 2013

This place is a hidden gem! I stumbled upon Rumors through a link on one of the tour operator websites in town. I knew I found the right place when the hotel manager, Frankie, replied to my initial email inquiry so quickly, answered all my questions, and added so much additional helpful information and tips about San Ignacio and the area in his reply.

My biggest concern was that I was traveling alone, and because of that it was hard to book tours for just one person and I wanted to make sure that I was able to do all the Mayan tours I had my heart set on during my stay. Frankie completely put my mind at ease by offering to take care of all the tour booking on my behalf. That saved me a lot of trouble! And he did a fantastic job! Not only did he book all my tours, but he also made sure that each tour operator was top notch. I ended up getting such amazing tours and service, which I doubt I would have had I tried booked everything on my own. He listened to my requests carefully and arranged everything from taxi pickups, to a horseback ride to Xunantunich (amazing) including packing me a lunch to go, arranging a trip to Caracol, a trip to Tikal, and the ATM Cave Tour. Every single tour was incredible! Frankie also offered me rides into town whenever possible, pointed out his favorite eateries, and gave me a lot of background info on the town (since he grew up in the area), adding so many personal touches to my trip.

It felt like I was staying with old friends, rather than just staying at a hotel. And that meant a lot to me, since I was traveling alone.

The hotel is very clean and the grounds are beautifully landscaped with gorgeous tall palm trees all around, views to the mountains and jungle, and away from all the noise and traffic of downtown. The food in the restaurant/bar is also excellent. Rosy is a great cook and I enjoyed all the meals and snacks I had, especially breakfast. (get the breakfast Quesadilla) But I also recommend dining at the Running W steakhouse and Hode's Place. I had great meals there as well.

One important thing to note is that this hotel is a family run business, and they take a lot of pride in everything and it really showed. They attended to all my needs and requests immediately, whether it was an extra towel or blanket, or glasses and ice for my room. I was even able to use their laundry facilities, which is a very useful benefit after coming back from an adventure tour! I really felt like a VIP there and got service above and beyond my expectations.

At first I wanted to stay right in downtown San Ignacio, but I'm so glad I found Rumors because I ended up having a much more personalized travel experience. In addition, after a long day of hiking in the jungle and climbing Mayan pyramids, it was so nice to come back to a quiet little oasis and just relax on my balcony overlooking the lush green landscape or enjoying a drink at the on site bar and sharing my tour adventure stories with Frankie, Rosy, and other guests at the hotel. And it was only a 5 minute ride into town, so being a little out of town was never an issue, if anything it was an advantage.

They have free WiFi which was very useful, and they have future plans for a pool and possibly even a jacuzzi and an outdoor bar next year, so keep checking up on this place, because it's just gonna keep getting better! I intend to go back and see more of the area sometime soon and will most definitely be staying there. This place is an unbelievable value for the price! I highly recommend it! If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to message me. I'm happy to share more info on my experience!

Room Tip: They are in the process of renovating all the rooms, but for now I suggest you ask for a renovated r...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank XTOSMIA
Reviewed 16 January 2013

We stayed 3 nights at Rumors and it was the best place we stayed at our whole vacation. It is in a great location not far from town. We rented a car so it would take us about 3 minutes to get into town. The rooms were very clean and had everything you need. I usually don't care for a tv on vacation but at times it was raining so hard we had to camp up inside for a bit and wait for the rain to pass. My boyfriend didn't seem to mind with the timing because since they have direct tv he was able to watch his football playoff games he thought he was going to miss. Fransico was great at responding to all my email inquiries before we got there and Rosie was so friendly and gracious! Dispite all the rain we had while we were there, I loved it all. I can't wait to go back and stay at Rumors again. I highly recommend!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2013

"just a quick note to tell you all how much we enjoyed our stay at your resort. Views were magnificent, food was fantastic, you hospitality was exceptional, and best of all was your family/staff. It was a true pleasure meeting all of you--Hector, Frankie, Rosie and all the cousins, nieces,and nephews who helped you prepare our Christmas dinner. In all my travels I have never met a family so willing to pitch in on THEIR holiday to help strangers like Susan and me have a dinner at the last minute (and a couple of other guests too ! ). I hope I get the pleasure of staying at your family owned/ family operated resort again soon......"

Room Tip: I reckon all rooms are great. more than roomy enough, very quiet. So close to nature
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 December 2012

We stayed 3 days at Rumours Hotel recently and had a memorable experience. Located on top of a hill on Western highway with great view and close proximity to San Ignacio down town (5 minute ride on a taxi). Service was excellent, clean rooms, good food, bar and nice deck. Location is close to all major Mayan ruins including Tikal in Guatemala. Young owner Francisco and his gir friend Rosie were great hosts.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2012

This place is great! The accommodations were very comfortable, the hospitality gracious, and the food was great! Price was very reasonable and I will definitely return for the outstanding welcome I got in this beautiful place! Frankie and Rosie are the two people who are responsible for making their customers feel at home..............I appreciate their care and contribution to a very satisfied visit in San Ignacio.

Room Tip: As far as I could tell all rooms are equally excellent!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo