“Wine and dined”

The Lodge at Chaa Creek
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in San Ignacio
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I spent 3 nights at CC, the first at the lodge and the 2/3 nights at the casita camp. We were so pleased with the personalized care we received while there. We found ourselves often laughing about just how surreal everything was...from the tiki torch lit dinner for 2 by the pool to the flower petals strewn across our bedroom floor, CC staff made the experience one hard to forget.

Our time at the casitas traded the luxury and glitz of the resort for cozy campfire comfort. Docio and his family were very accommodating throughout our stay. We treasured our dinner time spent getting to know all the other guests and their travel stories.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joe L

Reviewed 27 February 2014

I suspect that Chaa Creek in effort to become more upscale lost some ambience along the way. There is a very American resort feel to the place - not helped by (when we were there) a very demanding in some cases rude American contingent. That said
Location perfect and beautiful Cannot see vistas or river as they have let trees obscure views from rooms and they could definitely trim trees for better experience from rooms. Rooms great, clean and well maintained. We could never get any shower temperature other than scalding hot or icy cold. Food average and for an expensive resort needs upgrading. Pool area great but aggressive guests take up places early in day and leave little for people arriving from excursions. Decking at pool very dangerous as slippery - there will be accidents. Staff wonderful. Area central to great excursions.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank beentheretooo
Reviewed 26 February 2014

The Lodge at Chaa Creek is an exceptional hotel in every way. It is beautiful, well maintained, and has many excellent activities to chose from. We took the canoe trip to San Ignacio and had a wonderful time. I loved riding horseback to the organic farm. The food is amazing, down to the homemade corn tortillas. What I liked most about Chaa Creek was the quality of the staff. Every single person we met was warm, gracious, and knowledgable. But more than that, when we asked how long they had been at Chaa Creek, they answered "ten years," "twelve years," "eighteen years." This kind of longevity signifies that the staff is happy at Chaa Creek - obviously the owners treat them well and they remain loyal. And happy staff make for happy clients!

1  Thank goatlover1984
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This place is the best in the country, even for those on a budget. I stayed at the River Camp and enjoyed it thoroughly. Paradise for me is a nice, clean cabin in a jungle clearing. Evening campfires and reading by the light of oil lamps is perfect!

Room Tip: If you like waking up in the morning to the sounds of howler monkeys and tropical birds, stay at the...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My husband and I went to Chaa Creek for our 30th anniversary. Excellent accommodations and food, from lovely thatched cottages to fun adventures. The staff is very well versed about their environment, the guides are very helpful (thanks Selwyn) and the restaurant staff (especially Rosanna) made our staff very memorable. The intimacy of the resort and attentive staff along with the exciting environment were just what we wanted.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I can hardly begin to describe this amazing place. Our cottage was incredible - comfortable and tropical with a deck overlooking the Macal River. We woke up to the peaceful sounds of birds and the river. The food was good. There is an excellent pool. My husband, my 77-year old mother and I stayed here for 4 days - we went on 3 tours, all led by local guides. We walked on the trails and visited the butterfly hatchery and nature center. I can't say enough about the staff: Alexi (I'm probably spelling his name), who shared his knowledge and kindness with us when we visited Xunantunich. He helped my mother to the top of the Castillo! We also loved Robert and his uncle Lazero at the Martz Farm - ask about the pontoon boat tour and go hang out with these wonderful pirates who will guide you through their property to hike, visit waterfalls, see Morelet's crocodiles, and enjoy some stunning views. Miguel showed us amazing birds at Aguacate Lagoons and Alice, Martha, and Maria always greeted us like old friends when we sat down for a meal. Barnabe told us about some local folklore (histories) too. I know I've forgotten some names, so I do apologize! Just know that the staff here are worth the visit alone.

Room Tip: We were in Cottages 3 and 4 - both had great views - but if you can swing the treehouse, it looked i...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My husband and I celebrated my birthday in the rain forest at Chaa Creek Lodge, and it was heavenly! The cottage we stayed in was the one pictured above and was absolutely beautiful, decorated with local art. The grounds were beautiful as well, and the staff was outstanding. There were wonderful day excurstions-Mayan temples, canoeing in caves, cave tubing, and a rain forest zipline, and much more. The food was great, too! We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
#3 of 3 in Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve
Mystic River Resort
Mystic River Resort
#1 of 1 in Negroman

Been to The Lodge at Chaa Creek? Share your experiences!