“Everything but..”

The Lodge at Chaa Creek
Ranked #2 of 33 San Ignacio B&B and Inns
“Everything but..”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I can't say how much I loved my time at Cha Creek. Everyone was more than willing to help you and I almost felt like you got to know everyone who worked there. (In a good way) My only complaint and I know it's jungle and I should expect bugs. We stayed in the Spa Cabin room 24. Why not put bug nets over all the beds? The health department gives them out for free! Even if its just for the psyche. Well be back!With BUGNETS!

Room Tip: 24! Air conditioner!
2 Thank Avitalmaria

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We recently returned from a two week trip to Belize and I can honestly say that our week stay at the Lodge at Chaa Creek was our highlight. If I could give this place 6 stars I would. On arrival you notice the immaculate grounds, beautiful cottages and inviting infinity pool that lies in the center of the grounds. But make no mistake about it, this place starts with the the most gracious of hosts Mick, Lucy and their daughter Brynie whose passion for their property and commitment to their staff transcends the already rave reviews of this blissful property. You're not here long before you realize you are "Someplace Special. On property we saw Howler monkeys, Toucan's, tarantula's, and even an endangered Black Hawk Eagle. Visited the butterfly farm, did morning bird watching, scenic horse back riding and a creatures of the night tour. But it doesn't end there. Their food is marvelous from their fresh fruit and vegetables grown on property to their homemade coconut yogurt to creative and flavorful evening dinners beaming with local flavors. Even my wife who is in the hotel and food industry in SF was very impressed and gave you guys an A+ for food and service. But what sets this place apart is their staff. I can't say enough about their amazing staff. From Alice, Rosa & Anna Maria who greeted us warmly each morning to Shenny and Jesmin aka the "Awesome Girls" to all their warm and knowledgable guides: Whether it was Miguel who took us to Xunantunich, Hugh's passion at the amazing ATM, Robert's warm smile, wit and playfulness won the family over as we zip lined through the jungle or Selwin on the creature of the night tour; they were all very engaging and eager to share their knowledge of local Mayan history and culture while wearing warm genuine smile.

Chaa Creek, the Blaney's "Thank you" from the bottom of our heart for making our stay so memorable and special. We look forward to seeing you all again
~The Blaney's

Belize Cayes, Belize
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Chaa Creek is the most beautiful place, stunning views, excellent facilities, marvellous food, fascinating wildlife and exciting excursions. But the most outstanding feature is the staff. All are friendly, happy, helpful and knowledgeable. We were greeted each breakfast time by the smiling faces of Rosana, Alice and Maria. They couldn't have been more helpful. Misael catered for our every need, especially meals by the pool. The highlight was our last evening meal. Misael had discovered that it was our 39th wedding anniversary. He wanted to do something special so passed on the message. Denise arranged an outside table in front of the changing colours illuminating the waterfall from the infinity pool. Flowers, torches and candles surrounded us. Rosana had told the chef what we liked and the meal was superb. The chef is a genius. Thank you all so much. Margaret and Andy
PS Eric was an up and coming star - first met when carrying laundry - acted as wildlife guide helping me find iguanas and toucans etc + mended the safe

Room Tip: jungle noises amazing - monkeys, insects, birds rooms nearer bar/restaurant have good wifi
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Chino Hills, California
Reviewed 22 July 2014

let me address some of the complainers out there:
BUGS? YES "you're in the JUNGLE" (as guns & roses said)
DIRT ROAD? YES you are in BELIZE, they only have 4 main paved roads in the whole country
NO PHONE/TV? this is an eco lodge in the jungle, stay home and watch TV (whoever posted that one is an idiot)
STAFF? during my stay they were the BEST, knew us by name, went out of their way to provide anything needed. Owners live there and are very hands on
PRICE? do your homework if you don't want sticker shock because you are cheap, you get what you pay for and everything they provide is TOP NOTCH (food, rooms, tours)

We stayed in the Orchard Villa (4 of us), which can probably sleep 8
The mango tree outside our front door attracted howler monkeys for lunch/dinner (very cool)

3 Thank bigwalt07
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Magical. No electricity but kerosene lamps are lit in your cabin every night. The best food I had the entire time I was in Belize, shared with other campers. Epic bon fire nights. Like summer camp for adults with alcohol. Howler monkeys, scorpions, wolf spiders, stories to tell...

Room Tip: Camp Casitas! Any cabin!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Let me start by saying that I wanted to give the overall visit to Chaa Creek a 3 but the bar staff and spa totally redeemed this trip so I bumped it up to a 4. I will also admit that the facilities and staff are excellent and the pictures are accurate, BUT if you are looking for a fun girls trip and are city girls, you probably shouldn't come here.

The problem was that we had just left a slice of heaven called Victoria House in Ambergris Caye and just wasn't expecting what a departure the Chaa Creek experience would be (mostly not the fault of the resort itself). Main issues: lack of A/C, no wifi in rooms, bugs and other critters everywhere. Now granted, I know it's an eco-resort which explains the no A/C but it was really, really hot, sticky and humid and we just couldn't get cool enough to relax. The bugs I also get b/c we're in the middle of the jungle but we seemed to have more bugs than other rooms.

The good: The bar staff totally saved our evenings! Marcos, Jesus and Saul took pity on us city girls and made sure to entertain us with a lesson on their homemade rum infused drinks and shots on fire. Also, the bar had wifi so it became our evening sanctuary. The pool is pretty awesome admittedly and was a great way to cool down. But the best thing about Chaa Creek by far is its Spa. It's a bit of a hike up from the resort but gives you an awesome view of the jungle tree tops and it's high up enough for a nice breeze. We loved it so much that we spent the better part of 2 days there. And prices were not bad considering the quality of the treatments.

Net/net, if you know what you're getting yourself into and don't mind the heat, humidity and bugs and happen to be traveling as a family or couple, Chaa is probably what everyone says. If you're looking for a fun girls trip, this isn't it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My family of 5 just got back from a wonderful stay at Chaa Creek. We only had 3 nights there and I wished we had planned on more. We were greeted by Ricky at the airport and he was with us for our stay. My family loved that we got a chance to get to know him and what a gem he is! He was full of knowledge every corner we took. He would pull over and pluck a plant from the jungle to teach us about it. The Lodge has your travel experience figured out! The concierge took care of all our last minute changes. The horseback riding trip was beautiful and it was nice to get them running. Allan was very helpful with the horses, friendly, and knowledgable . Marco, Saul, And Abrahim entertained my kids with jokes and riddles while my husband and I enjoyed a drink after dinner. The property is beautiful and so well maintained.
I was concerned about the a/c or lack of a/c, as we are from Texas and a/c is a must. Yes, it was warm, we were very sweaty from the daily activities and it would have been nice to cool down, but it was no way unbearable as other reviews have stated. We had fans and there are nice breezes through the villas. If you go outside the Summer months, I'm sure it'd be very nice. We had a family of Toucans in the tree outside our rooms, there were all sorts of things to discover on the night crawler tour, we saw monkeys - it was such a great experience!

1 Thank ann o
#1 of 1 in Negroman
San Ignacio Resort Hotel
San Ignacio Resort Hotel
#5 of 13 in San Ignacio

Been to The Lodge at Chaa Creek? Share your experiences!