The owners & managers of Windy Hill were great. They really provided great service and at least gave the appearance of caring about their guests. The grounds very quiet and well kept. It is a little ways out of town (5 mins by cab) but not an issue at all as there is little to do in town - probably only worth spending an evening in town for dinner and wandering around. The real reasons to visit are to relax and do some of the "adventure" tours.
We booked tours through the hotel for both Tikal and the ATM cave. Prices are comparable to those in town - they seemed to the same from all operators. The guides provided by Windy Hill were much more knowledgeable and thorough than those leading other groups. Our driver to Tikal was Carlos and he did a great job getting us through immigration in Guatemala quickly. Luis was our guide for Tikal and he walked us around the ruins expounding upon things related to the site ranging from Mayan history to new age cosmological beliefs for about 6 hours. If interested in ziplining, we found you can do it through the jungle at Tikal for much less than in Belize. Ian was our guide for the ATM cave and he spoke in great depth about the cave and artifacts within. All spoke great English.
As for any downsides, as mentioned by the some of the other reviewers, the menu of the restaurant on site is not extensive but I found the food enjoyable. The pool is a lounging pool and not too big, if that is a requirement. And also it is maybe not quite high end as the name "resort" perhaps implies though I think for the price of rooms and in comparison to other hotels in the area, the accommodations are very good. I would recommend this to others and stay here again in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Jungle Rivers, Maya Temples, Gentle Mountain Breezes...Service Extraordinaire! Located in the foothills of the Maya Mountains, the most diverse and beautiful area of Belize, Windy Hill Resort & Tour Company provides all the modern conveniences in a lush tropical setting and just minutes away from the archaeological sites and other popular attractions in Belize. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Evoline ltd so you can book your Windy Hill Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Windy Hill Hotel San Ignacio
- Windy Hill San Ignacio
- Windy Hill Resort Belize/San Ignacio