Windy Hill Resort
US$108
  • Pool
US$97
  • Breakfast included
Midas Belize(San Ignacio)(Great Value!)
US$70
US$47
San Ignacio Resort Hotel(San Ignacio)
US$184
US$160
Maya Mountain Lodge(San Ignacio)(Great Value!)
US$181
Rainforest Haven Inn(San Ignacio)(Great Value!)
US$60
Ka'ana Resort(San Ignacio)
US$267
US$231
US$660
US$449
  • Breakfast included
All reviewssmall gymfitness roomhot watervery nice place to staymayan ruinsfront porchbelize cityclose to townour entire staybeautiful groundson sitebook toursguatemalan borderair conditionertikalfanstrips
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We chose this property to use as our base for our many Mayan ruin tours including overnight to Tikal. We researched and found WIndy Hill to be the best value and as a bonus, we liked it for the high number of positive TA reviews.

We chose to go all inclusive and had made arrangements with WIndy Hill to be picked up at the airport in Belize City with their sister tour company, "Windy Hill Tours" which is located on the property. We were picked up in a Honda CRV promptly and it takes about 2 hours to drive to the resort.

The property is located West of San Ignacio and as we drove through the town we promised ourselves we would return for a closer look. Windy Hill resort is located off the main highway just a mile from town. We noticed many trees, green grass and colorful flowers were all around the property. We were driven directly to our cabin which was located up the hill, away from the highway, right across from the swimming pool. Cabin #16.

We arrived early around noon and headed for the pool. The pool is of small size and one end is "infinity". To our surprise, we were treated to lunch at the pool! We discovered the reason they call themselves, "Windy Hill", as it was very breezy, especially at the pool, resulting in several of the umbrellas being bent and unusable. The umbrellas may have been replaced by now, but be aware that there is limited shade, if any, at the pool.

We chose the meal plan. We found breakfast to have plenty of variety and we had no complaints! Food was fresh and plentiful. Although we stayed at the resort for a week, we often were touring during lunch, and thus only had a few midday meals at the resort. For lunch our favorite was their chicken fingers! Dinner dining was informal and comfortable. No need to bring any fancy clothes. The staff had not issue with my frequent requests to turn the ceiling fans on. The dining area was cool enough but we recommend you put on bug spray. Dinner choices included shrimp, chicken, fish all served one of several ways. Sorry I cannot recall if they served steak. I do not think so. Although the menu is limited, we had no complaints and we would still choose the meal plan in a minute!

Our cabin was very nice and well maintained. Plenty of louvered windows which allow cross ventilation, however we also chose an upgraded (Deluxe) cabin which had AC. There were also two large ceiling fans as well. Lighting could be improved. Light fixtures were in odd places and we found it hard to read in the evening. Our room had Direct TV with plenty of channels and we enjoyed watching our favorite shows from home as well as new international shows. Bed was comfortable. We could have used more pillows. Bathroom was fine once we figured out they now utilized a hot water heater and not the kooky shower head heater I had read about on an earlier TA review, and as was instructed on the back of the bathroom door, and was no longer applicable. You should not have any HW issues! You just need to wait for the water to heat up. We enjoyed spending time on our deck watching nature. Please note there is no coffee maker in the room, we brought our own. Another note, there is no room safe but we felt our stuff was safe in the room. However, for our overnight to Tikal we were able to put some items in the Windy Hill main safe.

We planned all our trips with Elmer and crew from Windy Hill Tours. They were very responsive. We received their list of offered tours via e-mail to review before arrival, and although we booked the overnight stay in Tikal in advance, the rest of the tours we scheduled upon arrival. They were first class and responded to all our requests and needs. We received individual attention and our tours guides were very knowledgeable and personable.

Windy Hill arranged a mid morning tour of Tikal as well as the reservation for us to stay overnight at the Jungle Lodge located inside the Tikal park. We visited Xunantunich (five miles from resort) with a tour guide arranged by WIndy Hill, we taxied on our own to Cahal Pech (a couple miles from the resort), and Windy Hill arranged our final trip to Caracol, a long trip into the jungle. We were only one of two couples visiting Caracol on the day of our trip.

The staff was friendly and responsive. Check in and out was easy. The restaurant staff was excellent! I would recommend this property as a base and their sister company for tours!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank panther61
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We only stayed one night but wish we could have stayed longer. The Windy Hill Resort is very lovely and very comfortable. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. The bed was the most comfortable we have slept in this trip. At night it was so quiet and in the morning we were woken by birds. We loved the restaurant - dinner and breakfast were both very tasty. We had trouble getting hot water in the shower, although at this time of this year it wasn't really necessary.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JTravelBug1
Reviewed 12 June 2014

This is a nice resort. It is very clean in the rooms and the grounds. The pool was a nice presentation but was marred by the cloudy green water. I don't go in pools that are not clear as it usually indicates there is something amiss with the ph and or cleanliness . When I went online to book I found it easier to just phone them. They have rooms with double beds I was told. I said that was a little small did they have anything else. Yes came the reply we have a king unit with an up charge of about $15.00 Belize . Great says I. The king unit is only available one night comes the reply. Not good enough says I. They check and oh look you can have it for your two night stay. Great book it. Done. We arrive the next day and a very friendly fellow greets us and sends us to our room. Hold it this has 2 double beds, not what I ordered. We will check and oh look the next cabana over has a king bed and we can move. Great. Off to the restaurant for supper. Nope it is closed after I specifically asked for its hours of operation. Oh well the bar is open along with our free drink. We can get food in the bar . Great lets eat. The food is good and the service was great. Where I am going with all this is it seemed to me nobody communicates in this establishment so make sure you are very specific with your questions and requests if you want the correct answer. Next we booked a trip to the Famous ATM CAVE with the front desk guy. We were told not to discuss the price with others on the tour as we were getting a special deal. This always makes me nervous. Are we getting a deal or the shaft? Turns out it was the shaft as far as price goes compared with other operators in town, but the tour was definitely worth doing and our guide Ian from Yute Expiditions was knowledgeable and very conscientious of our safety. There are only 23 guides and from observing other groups they all seem good. This is an all day trip and you should be able to walk ,stoop , crawl, and generally be flexible to squeeze through tight spots in neck deep cool water.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rob E
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Windy Hill was really great and we enjoyed our 3 days, 4 nights there. I would absolutely recommend it for couples looking for a romantic & relaxing place! It is a few minutes outside the city center just FYI. The pool was beautiful and overlooked the jungle. The cottages are incredibly clean, private and I couldn't help but feel special while reading in our hammock on the veranda. The food was pretty good too (a little more pricey than in town, but that's to be expected anywhere) but the drinks were fantastic!!! My only complaint was that they were incredibly pushy with their own tour company. We had booked our tours through River Rat and the Windy Hill people kept telling us they were terrible, trying to show us bad reviews online (there really aren't any) and overall haranguing us to switch. Another couple said they did that to them as well. Also, don't let them provide transportation as it will be about twice as much as grabbing a taxi or the bus. Otherwise, it was fantastic and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank loopgrl5
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Oh my what can I say. The Windy Hill Resort Rocks! The staff is supurb! The food is magnificiant!. The dining staff catered to our every need. The landscape and grounds were wonderful and the pool.This was our first stop from the airport in Belize City. Quite a ride to get here, but well worth it. The rooms were clean and the star of the show is the "WoodPecker" that woke us up everymorning. "totally awesome". The Staff, Ragner, Amir, Rickey.. and the entire front desk and behind the scenes office staff super rocked! Rickey made the best watermelon vodka icee drinks ever in life !!!!!!!!! deserve a gold star..... so very nice. I wish you could take the Windy Hill Resort and tranport it with the same staff to everywhere else we stayed in Belize and Ambergris Cayes! lol Will definitely come back because of the staff and tell everybody I know.

Felecia