“Very peaceful place”

Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in San Ignacio
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Very peaceful place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

Coming from Guatemala this was our first stop in Belize, a very helpful girl welcomed us, despite us being early and they upgraded our cabin as it was our honeymoon. The pool was lovely to relax by and our cabin was very comfy- although we struggled to get the hot water to work (being hot anyway it didn't really bother us!) I guess the 'American-ness' of it all was a bit of a surprise and made it feel less 'authentic' having come from Guatemala- we felt the food was a little pricey but good quality however it was easy to get a taxi in and out of San Ignacio it was a bit too far to walk (although we did nearly die by attempting it at mid-day the first day we were there!). In San Ignacio there were good Belizan places to eat (Ko-Ox Han-nah I think was the best, we went for dinner and breakfast!) Windy Hill organised our trip to the ATM caves and were very helpful with details of what to wear, lunch and towels, however when we went on a trip with a different tour operator a different girl gave me a bit of a telling off for having taken the same towels with us- a little un-necessary I felt. Overall a good place to stay but food is better in town.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hollie H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

Windy Hills was the first stop in our Belize vacation. What a way to start!

After such a stressful week, I told my wife I wasn't sure if I could go on our trip because I wouldn't be able to relax with everything at home being so up in the air and whacked out. She convinced me to go, after all it was already paid for, and staying at home wasn't going to make me any less stressed. Of course I listened to her and we were off. After taking the red-eye via El Salvador to Belize City, we hopped in the van for the 2 hour ride to Windy Hills.

Upon arrival I saw our luggage being taken out of the van and we were taken to the check-in desk. After the paperwork was done and we were off to our own private hut, I asked where my luggage was, the man behind the desk said "It is already in your room sir". OK...off to a nice start. He showed us around the grounds and then too our hut, which was the lowest one on the hill. We couldn't see ANY other huts or people from our hammock included porch. Upon sitting in the hammock with my wife in one arm, an ice cold beer in my hand and a view of what seemed like all of Belize in front of me...I looked at my wife and said "I am so relaxed right now"...all my troubles seemed to have just disappeared. WOW!

We had a great time there, went into Tecal to see the ruins, had the BEST Arroz con Pollo ever on the way back, at some little shack on the side of the road.

We walked into town just to look around one day...nice quaint little town.

LOVED IT!!!! Would go back in a heart-beat.

Room Tip: Get the lower room...you can't see anyone else...you feel like you are the only ones around, yet...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

This was the first place we stayed on arrival in Central America and we are so glad that it was!
The staff made us feel incredibly welcome and bent over backwards to ensure that we were satisfied.

The grounds are lovely, very secluded on a hill (hence the name), with multiple cabins. There is an outdoor infinity pool which is great for relaxing and sunbathing during the day with fabulous views and a welcome breeze.

The rooms are very clean and spacious with warm showers. They are cleaned daily and towels provided. Each has a nice terrace with a couple of chairs and a hammock.

The place was very quiet when we were there which meant it felt a tad eerie however we felt comfortable even if it was just us in the restaurant on an evening! The restaurant and bar staff are very efficient and friendly.

The food was lovely and service was good, although we tended to eat out more than in the hotel so didn't experience all there was to offer.

This is an ideal place to stay if you want peace and quiet however not if you want a buzzing atmosphere. The views are amazing and service and accommodation is great. As two young girls we felt secure and safe staying at Windy Hill.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Bewsk
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed for three nights and enjoyed our stay at Windy Hill Resort. The location is beautiful, overlooking rolling green hills and perched on a hill to take advantage of the cooler breezes. My favorite part of the resort is the infinity swimming pool- gazing at the beautiful views while flocks of birds fly overhead- I was always so reluctant to leave the refreshing water at all! The customer service is wonderful, especially Raggi and Benny, who went out of their way to accommodate us. The restaurant and beer prices were really steep, and I wish they offered a more diverse menu selection for breakfast. The cabana was very spacious and I liked the generous spacing of the cabins sprinkled throughout the property, giving everybody privacy and the chance to unwind. The plantation shutters effectively blocked out the light, except for three small triangle windows on our back door, so the bright light shining through those windows early in the morning woke us up earlier than we would have done. The porch outside the cabana was where our group spent the bulk of our hotel time (other than the pool). One of the best moments was staying dry and entertained during a heavy tropical rain shower. The porch was great for hanging out and enjoying the cool breezes blowing through the Windy Hills!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank sanfrantravelnut
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We really enjoyed our relaxing stay at Windy Hill. The cabins are spacious, clean, and spaced apart well. Wifi, cable tv, and a pool. We had no trouble using the shower and getting warm water. The staff was SUPER, helpful, polite, professional, friendly. The grounds are charming and the medicinal trail in the back of the property is interesting. We toured it with Steve, who showed us a family of howler monkeys. The location can't be beat!

We ate our breakfasts there all but one day. $8US each gave us a tasty full breakfast. Did not have any buffet or eat any other meals here. Sure you can go to town to get less food, less service for less money but I regretted the one day I did that.

We set up our own tours but they do offer tours.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jackie k
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Windy Hill in July 2014 for four nights. There were two families, four adults, five children (ages 9-13). First of all, the pool is great. We even saw parrots and toucans fly past. The service is exceptional. Truly. The people couldn't be nicer and they were very accommodating to our needs (even upgrading us to rooms with AC upon check in.) While the food is good, it's a little on the pricey side and there's not a lot of diversity on the menu (especially with concern to Belizean fare.) the grounds are amazing and well-kept and the location is just far enough outside of San Ignacio to feel like you're away from it all - without really being too far from everything. We would stay at Windy Hill again and I'd give it 4.5 stars if I could.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Jim M
Savannah GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Our group stayed at Windy Hill for a week and enjoyed our time there immensely. The setting is delightful-beautiful grounds and wildlife sightings everyday. Our accommodations, cabins with air, tv, wi-if, were very comfortable. We also enjoyed the pool every afternoon.
But, the staff is the highlight of this resort. They welcomed us warmly and took care of our every need. The office staff were always available and their recommendations for activities in the area were a big help. The restaurant staff is excellent and worked to serve our large group as quickly as possible. The food was wonderful! Ricky, the bartender, is an artist. You must try his Piña Colada!!
I recommend Windy Hill to families, singles or groups. You'll enjoy staying there while exploring San Ignacio and the beautiful surrounding area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business