San Ignacio Resort is a diamond in the rough.... my stay was about a month ago and, having never been to Belize, I had no idea what to expect at all. I'm glad we chose this resort as it was clean and comfortable, despite the extreme humidity I last escaped long ago, when I moved away from the Midwest USA.
The city center of San Ignacio is nearby - just a short walk down the big hill - and it's a stark contrast to the resort. The city does have a lot of character and a lot of nice, social people, but it's stuck in a bygone era. It feels old and gritty. Something about the design of the resort also does have a no-exactly-modern design to it, but it's kept in great condition, and they are currently expanding. That was a bummer, as the bar was closed, and there was a lot of hammering noise going on throughout the day.
As a word of caution, the staff isn't always on the same page. We needed to set up transportation to get to the Maya Flats Airport.... Someone at the front desk told us "For your flight tomorrow, just come by in the morning, and we'll call a taxi for you." Based on that info, we did just that, and the staff told us "You'll have to call from your room," and provided a couple phone numbers of local drivers. I was about to do just that - call on my own - until I thought to ask if there would be a charge to call from the room. Indeed there would be, and I finally talked the front desk staff into making the call, based on being told the previous night that they would take care of it.
Also, the pool was nice and enjoyable, especially in the evening when no one else was around. There were plenty of beetles and moths that made their way into the water, so we cleaned the pool ourselves... no biggie, but some of those bugs were huge! It's practically the jungle, after all.
Unfortunately, we didn't have time to make it to the iguana sanctuary, but we had a pretty good time and felt comfortable at the resort in the fairly short amount of time we were there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Open to guests since 1976, San Ignacio Resort Hotel provides unsurpassed levels of luxury and Belizean hospitality. The Resort has been awarded with the title HOTEL OF THE YEAR 2016/2012, RESTAURANT OF THE YEAR 2016, and HOSPITALITY AWARD 2015 by the Belize Tourism Board. Perched on a hillside located within a 17-acre private estate, 72 miles west of Belize City, gives the Resort its unique name of "the only jungle in town". A short walk puts you in downtown San Ignacio or in the middle of Belize's ancient Maya temples known as Cahal Pech. The Hotel offers various amenities where visitors can relax and enjoy amazing views of Belize. In addition, it is home to the award-wining Green Iguana Conservation Project, located on-site. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your San Ignacio Resort Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- San Ignacio Hotel San Ignacio
- San Ignacio Resort Hotel Belize