“Its all location with this place”
Review of Venus Hotel

Venus Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in San Ignacio
Washington, DC
“Its all location with this place”
Reviewed 13 February 2011

Before booking Venus Hotel I read all of the reviews on this site. I have to admit I was a little disappointed once I saw the real thing. But our attitude was that it was just a place to crash between our tours to Guatemala, Caracol and the ATM tour so we weren't too bothered with our lodgings. All in all I think we spent very little time in our rooms except to shower, change and sleep. However, this is what I can tell you about the time we did spend there. Our room was right by the front desk which was the only reason I didn't flip out about the flimsy lock on the door. Their desk was staffed 24/7 which was nice. The staff was friendly and accommodating. They were even kind enough to refrigerate our gatorades over night for our trip the next day.

The rooms were on the spartan side but I found them to be reasonably clean. There was a working fan that helped with the heat but would have preferred if the AC had been working a little better. The bathroom, like all the hotels we stayed in in Belize, was more of a partition than a separate room. And I seem to recall that it has a curtain instead of a door. The shower itself had no curtain which meant we made a mess when we showered. But all in all it was ok if you're ok with youth hostel style rooms.

It was pretty noisy at night because the hotel is located on a little strip of bars and restaurants. But if you can't beat em join the right? We spent most of our nights hanging out at the bar across the street until we were too tired to care about the college kids partying in the room next door. Best part was that our tour guide's shop was practically downstairs!

As for pricing, we may have overpaied but since I didn't have time to explore the other hotels in the area, I can't really say for sure. We booked online a week before we got there and it was just easier to stay there since we thought it was just fine. Also, as I said before, we really liked the location.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank jacks90009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Cypress, Texas
Reviewed 9 January 2011

The only good thing about this hotel is the location-right in the center of town. Our room had a leak coming from the ceiling that had obviously been unsuccessfully patched once. There was mold all around the leak and the room was dank. We reported it to management who seemed very concerned and assured us that someone would be there the next morning to repair. No one ever showed. We inquired two more times when the leak would be fixed and were meet with shoulder shrugs and an attitude of indifference.

In addition there was a cockroach in the room. The towels are a joke - better ones at Motel 6. No shower curtain so the floor gets soaked every time you bathe. Even tho this is a budget hotel, they should not subject their guests to such unhealthy standards.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SharonTzb

Travellers are raving about these San Ignacio hotels

London
Reviewed 21 October 2010

The only reason someone should stay here is if they have $80+ and do the crystal caves or ATM tours - both which were not available when we arrived (flooding).
Otherwise I wouldn't ever stay here - it was Awlful and grosely overpriced! $7.50 for an ice cream...

Hotel is very basic but the staff were quite friendly and our laundary came back folded and ironed.

all in all the only reason you should stay here is if the tours are going - make sure before you visit.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Awanderingmemory
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 11 October 2010

We wanted to stay in the city at a place that would not be too expensive. This place was perfect. It was clean, simple, and in a great convenient location. It was easy to walk to great restaurants every night, and just a short walk down the street to the different companies that take trips to the caves, ruins, etc.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 July 2010

We did not book accommodations ahead of time and saw that Venus Hotel got decent reviews so went ahead and got a room there. The room looked fine on the surface, but we discovered many problems later on. First, there is barely any hot water. You can get lukewarm water with little water pressure or cold water with high pressure. The repairman said all the showers in the hotel are like this. When you get back from a day in the muddy ATM cave, a decent hot shower is key. Second, the sheets had some stains, to the extent that I did not feel comfortable sleeping on them. Third, the TV reception is poor.

Since San Ignacio is very small, just a few streets long, any place you stay is close to town. I would highly suggest looking for another place to stay.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jenny518
Toronto
Reviewed 20 July 2009

Hotel Venus is an amazing place for many reasons.

-The staff are wonderful-very friendly, very helpful, very welcoming
-The rooms are affordable and clean
-The balcony is decent
-They did our laundry
-They let us take calls
-They held our bags for us over two days when we went to Guatemala
-They reduced the rate for the rooms as we stayed there for 10 days
-They us keep food in their fridge-AC, cable tv, hot showers
-not one bug was scene probably because of all the geckos in the halls (none in rooms)

The hotel staff was very accommodating. The rooms aren't spectacular but they are clean and affordable. I stayed there for 14 nights in total and it became like home. The owner is a sweet older lady and she treated me like a grandchild. She told me all about her family history and the hotel. This hotel is one of a kind. I doubt I'l have this type of experience again. When I left, I got them a card to thank them for all that they did for me during my stay,

*I did see a few rooms however that I would not have stayed in. Stay on the floor where the front desk is. Both my rooms on that floor were great. The rooms on the upper floors were much smaller and dingier looking.*

-go to Paks for tours-ATM is a must do
-go to Serendib for dinner. Best food in town and really reasonable
-go to Fiya Wata for nightlife
*Hidden-ask around town for the internet place in the mall. it is much cheaper. The South Indian place beside the mall is amazing too.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Emlec
Hermitage, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 April 2009

Stayed here last year and did not hesitate to stay here again, but checked out at least seven other hotels on Burns Ave. this time, out of curiosity, no comparison. We layed-out at the Macal river this trip and the Venus did our laundry. Only $15 BZ., and we had alot. No coffee in house this time, but got it 30 ft. away at Greedy's, directly across the street. Wonderful staff, stay here.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple