“A GREAT Experience!”

duPlooy's Jungle Lodge
Ranked #3 of 32 San Ignacio B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 October 2007

I found this website helpful when deciding on where to stay so I thought I would contribute my experience as well. DuPlooy's exceeded all of my expectations! I would definitely recommend this place to people who are truly looking for the jungle experience!

I must start by saying that I am a bit of a girly girl who fears bugs, spiders, and anything in between. It didn't take me long to realize that I needed to get over this fear in order to truly enjoy my time in the jungle. If you are someone who can't get over bugs hovering around you constantly or spiders all over the place then the jungle may not be the place for you (there is no escaping them). My boyfriend and I experienced bugs and spiders in our room, but it was nothing we couldn't handle. We spoke with other guests and they were lucky enough not to experience any bugs in their room. But its the jungle and a definite possibility you should come to terms with before staying anywhere in the jungle. With that said, dealing with bugs and spiders is a small price for all of the amazing experiences we had at DuPlooy's. I just want to give fair warning to all those like me. Also there is no air conditioning. The fans work great but the generators go off around 4 a.m. every morning for a couple hours. When I did my research I found that the majority of jungle lodges do not have air conditioning.

DuPlooy's is secluded, about 15 to 20 minutes down a dirt road. They have beautiful gardens and a great bar area. Every night they put out bananas for the Kinkajous who gladly show up to enjoy this treat. In the morning they put out fruit for the birds, which attracts several different species. There is wildlife all around you at DuPlooy's, I found myself carrying my camera wherever I went because I never knew what I'd see next.

The staff at DuPlooy's was very friendly and accomodating. My boyfriend and I decided things on a whim and they always were able to make them happen for us. We also got massages there and Ivy was great! We chose to go to Tikal one day and it was amazing. It is an all day trip and you must go into Guatamala. I didn't visit any other Mayan ruins so I can't compare, but Tikal had a lot to offer. The view from Temple 5 is a must and you have got to experience the call of the Howler Monkey. Wear Bug Spray ALL THE TIME, especially in Tikal.

I have to mention how wonderful Stephanie (one of the owners) was to me. I had an incident where I got bit by a fly and my forehead swelled pretty badly. My boyfriend expressed concern to Stephanie and she recommended I go see a doctor just in case. I was very uneasy about going to a doctor in a foreign country but Stephanie reassured me and made the arrangements with the doctor. She also arranged for a driver to take me there. I was very thankful to be in such good hands, thankfully everything worked out just fine. She really went above and beyond for me. For this reason alone (and there are many others) I would stay at DuPlooy's again when I go back to Belize.

The food is great at DuPlooy's. The menu is always different and there are plenty of options. My boyfriend and I opted not to do the meal plan. After our stay we did the math and realized it would have been worth our while to have done it. Since you are secluded there is nowhere else to go, and their meals are fairly pricey.

If you are looking for the jungle experience with exceptional customer service Duplooy's is a great place for you!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jperha28
There are newer reviews for duPlooy's Jungle Lodge

Reviewed 12 August 2007

Wonderful value! Great in every aspect - accommodation, food, surroundings, staff, proximity to all we wanted to see, and last but not by any means least - a MOST superb guide, Fermin!!! If there IS a better guide in Belize, we would love to meet him!!!
The absolutely delightful staff certainly made our stay at duPlooys' very special! We regret that the family members present totally ignored the guests as we would have so enjoyed hearing more about their parents' work there and the history of the Lodge! They should be extremely proud of their achievements! Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, and the cook came out tops with every meal!! A day spent JUST on the property is a MUST! We took a complete package and have no regrets! Just wish it was not so far from Africa!!!!! Would recommend it to all who enjoy being part of a wonderful environment and who has an interest in the Mayan culture and birding. We were most impressed with the care taken in the management of this treasure!

2  Thank Heather C
Reviewed 19 July 2007

What an amazing place! We can't recommend it highly enough. Set in the Belize jungle above the Macal river this glorious "treehouse" is amazing. We stayed in a bungalow but the slightly smaller rooms looked just as inviting and were in the same setting. The whole resort is made of wood, the rooms are large and spare and scrupuously clean, with a hammock and chairs on the porch of each individual room. The large bed was very comfortable. All the rooms are connected by a wooden walkway, perhaps 200 yards long that rambles through flowering trees and vines. There is a small outdoor bar area where birds (toucans) and small mammals and lizards come to feast on fresh fruit set out for them. The meals were unfailingly delicious and the staff was charming and helpful. We mostly stayed at the resort and read or took tubes (free, despite a previous report) down to the river, or walked through the amazing botanical garden. They offer all the standard trips and tours but we didn't want to leave the hotel except for one delightful morning trip to a local ruin which was grand and quite a private experience as we were closeby so could get there early before the tour buses! There was a computer available for email. A driver met us in belize city and drove us to the resort and back. We did not miss having a car there....the nearby towns aren't as interesting as the resort. We highly recommend this place. We loved our experience there.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2007

My husband and I loved every minute of our stay at duPlooys. From the service, staff, food, accommodations and secluded jungle surrounding, we could not have asked for anything more. While there was no AC, there were enough fans in the room to make the stay comfortable - not that you will be in the rooms much since there is so much to do and see.

We did a package that included a bungalow room 3 excursions and all food. It worked out great. Our tour guides were very knowledgeable and accommodating. We did the Tikal, Xunantunich/river tubing and Aktun Tunichal Muknal tours with our package and all three were great. Small groups and smart tour guides. Even staying around the resort was great - botanical gardens, right on the river, hammoks to relax in.

There are lots of plant sand wild life to see around duPlooys. They feed birds in the morning from the deck - toucans and jays just feet away! - and a few other animals that come out at night. Plus they have 3 dogs which are fun to play with.

Unless you are very familar with Belize, driving around is hard - bad roads and unmarked streets - so the all-inclusive is a good deal. The resort has no other restaurants near by. And it is about a 20 minute cab ride into down (I think it would have cost about $70 too).

Thank you duPlooys for the most memorable, relaxing and overall enjoyable vacation we have ever taken.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Crackens
Reviewed 12 June 2007

Duplooys is gorgeous, perched up in the canopy above the Macal River. The people are unbelievably wonderful and accomodating, the rooms are basic but very comfortable. The tourgides sing country music.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2007

we have just returned from belize...it is an amazing country!
we spent some of our last days at duPlooy's jungle lodge...VERY cool...we were met at the airport by phillip he was the greatest really sweet and funny AND knowledgeable...we drove thru belize city and thru the town of san ignacio where phillip stopped for "tums" for us :)
then up to the jungle - COOL! the grounds are amazing so lush and green, even though phillip said is was dry and not as lush as usual, to us city kids it looked amazing!

the rooms are wonderful- we stayed ina jungle room very spacious.

the bar is amazing it has this walk out thru the canopy to a couple of hammocks and chairs. the drinks are really reasonable and the staff is really sweet.

the dog lucky is not to be missed :)

food is really really good they offer all inclusive meal plans that are well worth it although we were so hot at night we opted to just do a late lunch in the bar and that was plenty especially paired with their breakfast plan...

they have so many trips to choose form ranging form very easy to VERY hard...
we canoed down the macal river into san ignacio for the weekend market - really fun!

on our way back to belize city phillip took us to xunantinitch and the belize zoo where he acted as guides for both...it's really great way to leave the jungle...xunantinitch is a great "little ruin" and the zoo is one of my favs. really really great small but cool.

the sisters that run it are sweet and friendly! brett is really fun to sit on the porch with while the wild kinckachoo's come down and eat banana's out of your hand.

and let's not forget the ever so wonderful luis at the from desk.

the botanical gardens are amazing! we were lucky enough to be the only ones in there as we wandered thru pretty orchids and coffee plants...

bottom line....duPlooy's is awesome

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank hazelbean
Reviewed 25 May 2007

We loved our stay at duPlooy's. It was a great place to stay if you really want to feel like you are in a rustic, natural setting, but aren't up for actually roughing it. It had plenty of charm and jungle feel while still being nice enough for our parents. The staff was very friendly and knowlegable about the area, plants, and animals. We did the meal plan, and while we probably could have saved a little money getting things a la carte, it was much more relaxing not to have to worry about it. The tours we took were well organized and lead, but did get a bit expensive when you added in tips. Our only regret about our stay was that we didn't give ourselves an extra day just to hang out and relax at the lodge.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in Bullet Tree Falls
Mystic River Resort
Mystic River Resort
#1 of 1 in Negroman

Been to duPlooy's Jungle Lodge? Share your experiences!