I found this website helpful when deciding on where to stay so I thought I would contribute my experience as well. DuPlooy's exceeded all of my expectations! I would definitely recommend this place to people who are truly looking for the jungle experience!
I must start by saying that I am a bit of a girly girl who fears bugs, spiders, and anything in between. It didn't take me long to realize that I needed to get over this fear in order to truly enjoy my time in the jungle. If you are someone who can't get over bugs hovering around you constantly or spiders all over the place then the jungle may not be the place for you (there is no escaping them). My boyfriend and I experienced bugs and spiders in our room, but it was nothing we couldn't handle. We spoke with other guests and they were lucky enough not to experience any bugs in their room. But its the jungle and a definite possibility you should come to terms with before staying anywhere in the jungle. With that said, dealing with bugs and spiders is a small price for all of the amazing experiences we had at DuPlooy's. I just want to give fair warning to all those like me. Also there is no air conditioning. The fans work great but the generators go off around 4 a.m. every morning for a couple hours. When I did my research I found that the majority of jungle lodges do not have air conditioning.
DuPlooy's is secluded, about 15 to 20 minutes down a dirt road. They have beautiful gardens and a great bar area. Every night they put out bananas for the Kinkajous who gladly show up to enjoy this treat. In the morning they put out fruit for the birds, which attracts several different species. There is wildlife all around you at DuPlooy's, I found myself carrying my camera wherever I went because I never knew what I'd see next.
The staff at DuPlooy's was very friendly and accomodating. My boyfriend and I decided things on a whim and they always were able to make them happen for us. We also got massages there and Ivy was great! We chose to go to Tikal one day and it was amazing. It is an all day trip and you must go into Guatamala. I didn't visit any other Mayan ruins so I can't compare, but Tikal had a lot to offer. The view from Temple 5 is a must and you have got to experience the call of the Howler Monkey. Wear Bug Spray ALL THE TIME, especially in Tikal.
I have to mention how wonderful Stephanie (one of the owners) was to me. I had an incident where I got bit by a fly and my forehead swelled pretty badly. My boyfriend expressed concern to Stephanie and she recommended I go see a doctor just in case. I was very uneasy about going to a doctor in a foreign country but Stephanie reassured me and made the arrangements with the doctor. She also arranged for a driver to take me there. I was very thankful to be in such good hands, thankfully everything worked out just fine. She really went above and beyond for me. For this reason alone (and there are many others) I would stay at DuPlooy's again when I go back to Belize.
The food is great at DuPlooy's. The menu is always different and there are plenty of options. My boyfriend and I opted not to do the meal plan. After our stay we did the math and realized it would have been worth our while to have done it. Since you are secluded there is nowhere else to go, and their meals are fairly pricey.
If you are looking for the jungle experience with exceptional customer service Duplooy's is a great place for you!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- duPlooy's Jungle Lodge Resort, on the Macal River, an organic property since 1988, now powered by the sun, may just be the Eco-Lodge you are looking for.duPlooy's offers the original "Create Your Own Vacation' package as well as set packages for individuals and groups and custom packages which include other locations in Belize. Whatever you are looking for, we offer a great venue for your Belize Vacation for Families,Romantic Getaways and Honeymoons, Adventure Holidays and more. There is excellent Birding on and around the property as well as many on-site activities.Included with your room: continental breakfast, entrance to adjacent Belize Botanic Gardens, access to trails, use of canoes and tubes from our beautiful Macal River Beach,incredible bird watching from the deck with complimentary morning coffee, delicious meals from locally-sourced meats, eggs and produce. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your duPlooy's Jungle Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Duplooy`s Jungle Hotel San Ignacio
- DuPlooy's Jungle Lodge Belize/San Ignacio