We have just returned from a 6 day stay at duPlooy's . We absolutely loved it! The grounds are gorgeous and they connect with the Belize Botanical Gardens so there is so much space to wander and explore. The rooms are basic and clean but honestly we were only in our rooms to sleep. We spent most of our time on the bird deck where there are plenty of spots to sit and relax and enjoy a Belikin beer while watching the birds that they feed daily. In the evening you can hand feed the Kinkajoos bananas off the bird deck. This was definitely a highlight for us! We felt the food was outstanding. They have a fantastic variety and the menu changes daily with 3 dinner options, along with a salad and soup choice, plus dessert. In the entire week of eating there was only one repeat . (A banana chocolate cake and there were no complaints of this repeat!) Each night was a different, soup, entirely different salad, and even different breads offered each morning for breakfast. Food is a very important part of our vacation so I feel it is important to say that the lodge, (even though it is remote and eco conscience) offers some unexpectedly wonderful cuisine. The staff was very friendly and helpful with anything we needed. Don't be afraid to ask! During the week, we had several special requests and they were always eager to accommodate. The guides were also amazing. We had Noel for most of the week and we just loved him! He figured out quickly our laid back vibe and matched all of our excursions to our particular pace. He even suggested we change our cave tubing day to a day that there were no cruise ships docked and this made the experience that more incredible and personal because there were less crowds. Take a guided tour of the Botanical Gardens. We had Willie as our guide (one of the garden's caretakers), and he shared many stories with us of his Mayan heritage . We went canoeing from the lodge into town. This was so peaceful and scenic. I highly recommend it! We also went horseback riding, tubing down the Macal River, explored Che Chem Ha cave, went ziplining, and visited many of the Mayan ruin sites. El Pillar is a fabulous place to go not only for the Mayan history, but also for the wildlife and birds. Overall our trip to Belize was a great adventure. If you are willing to step just a bit out of your comfort zone, Duplooy's will offer you a rare jungle experience that you will never forget. We even heard howler monkeys calling at night. I highly recommend this place!! I only have one suggestion, because they are so environmentally friendly, they do not offer bottled water at Duplooy's. There is plenty of filtered water offered 24 hrs a day at the bar in a large water jug you can use yourself. but bring a water bottle! We ended up refilling plastic water bottles that we had bought it town but our only regret was not bringing sturdier reusable water bottles.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- duPlooy's Jungle Lodge Resort, on the Macal River, an organic property since 1988, now powered by the sun, may just be the Eco-Lodge you are looking for.duPlooy's offers the original "Create Your Own Vacation' package as well as set packages for individuals and groups and custom packages which include other locations in Belize. Whatever you are looking for, we offer a great venue for your Belize Vacation for Families,Romantic Getaways and Honeymoons, Adventure Holidays and more. There is excellent Birding on and around the property as well as many on-site activities.Included with your room: continental breakfast, entrance to adjacent Belize Botanic Gardens, access to trails, use of canoes and tubes from our beautiful Macal River Beach,incredible bird watching from the deck with complimentary morning coffee, delicious meals from locally-sourced meats, eggs and produce. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers and Booking.com so you can book your duPlooy's Jungle Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Duplooy`s Jungle Hotel San Ignacio
- DuPlooy's Jungle Lodge Belize/San Ignacio