“Wonderful, wonderful place”

Ranked #3 of 33 San Ignacio B&B and Inns
Dallas, Texas
“Wonderful, wonderful place”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We very much enjoyed our 4 days at duPlooys, and we definitely wished we could have stayed longer. We did the meal package and booked our trips through duPlooys. The meals were absolutely wonderful, especially the breads. The ingredients are fresh and delicious.

The guides and drivers duPlooy's picked for us were all terrific and were happy to answer the many questions we had about their special country. They and everyone we met at the resort could not have been more accommodating. It is clear Judy duPlooy built her eco-resort with love and maintains it with love and that her staffers love their jobs.

Be sure to bring reusable water bottles as well as plastic bags for wet clothes that won't dry on their own or that you won't have time to have duPlooys clean for you. This is especially true if you go on the ATM cave expedition - and if you're physically up for the challenge, don't miss this amazing experience.

Also be sure to save enough time to roam around the jungle trails at duPlooy's, float in the river, and hang out on the deck to see the animals and birds pass by.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Cayowoman, Owner at duPlooy's Jungle Lodge, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Hello,

Thanks for your review of duPlooy's and especially for recommending that people roam around the property. After 26 years I still love it here and enjoy, in particular, an evening walk through the gardens or a quiet swim or tube ride down the river.

Judy duPlooy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Oregon
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Our stay in Belize to visit Mayan ruins and the river area was outstanding. The staff at duPlooy's was very efficient and friendly. We booked our adventures separately, but should have gotten the all inclusive. Our friend traveled with us and had the adjoining bedroom with couch and queen bed. Our room was big with two queen bed, and the bath had a wonderful walk in shower with jungle view.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Hello,
Thanks for your review of duPlooy's. And for calling us the nicest place to stay in the area. We appreciate these good comments and truly want all of our guests to have a great experience here.

SLC
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My husband and I stayed at duPlooy's for a week. We purchased the all inclusive package, so we had all our meals and daily tours included with the lodging. We stayed in bungalow #10. The king size bed was very comfortable and the room is extra large with a kitchenette. We had a nice view of the river out the front. One thing you should know is that the evening is very noisy in the jungle, with bull frogs and other insects putting on a symphony each evening. The water is safe to drink, but they also have filtered water in the office and the at the bar. We paid for full day excursions everyday, so we took advantage of that, and did not take advantage of all of the activities around duPlooy's. We did visit the Botanical Garden located on the property. We are avid Botanical Garden fans and enjoyed the Garden. This tiime of year, there were not alot of flowers to enjoy, but there were some interesting plants and trees.. The property is located on a river and you can tube down it (very gentle), also they have canoes to borrow. They provide "beach" towels , so you don't need to bring your own. They have internet access at the office and the bar. They put out fruit for the birds in the morning, and we were able to enjoy a nice variety of tropical birds. (there were many visitors there for "birding"- and they all seemed to be enjoying it). In the evening the Kingkajou's came and ate bananas out of our hands. Very cool. The food was fine, some meals were great- some just OK. The fry Jacks for breakfast are great. (they are like a fried scone, or navajo fry bread) There is a good variety of menu items with generally a meat, a fish and a vegetarian option for dinner. We took advantage of many of the activites. On Saturday there is a market in town which we enjoyed (1hr). We then went to Xunantunich which is the local Maya ruin. It was beautiful. Noel was a great guide. There is a local restaurant lunch included in this tour and we had lunch at "Benny's Kitchen" which was great. Try the Pibil. We did, cave tubing canoeing which were all fun. We also went to the butterfly house. The advice I would give is to not have your guide leave you with the promise that someone will come to pick you up. We had a bit of an issue with this and Judy (the owner of duPlooy's ) was very unhappy with the tour agency and was reasonable in compensating us for the problems we had. The trip to Tikal is a long interesting day. If I had it to do again, I would make this a 2 day trip. We enjoy ruins and felt that we would have enjoyed more time to just leasurely wander the area. The tour we had iin Tikal with Samuel was great. It was clear that the tour agency that drove us gets a cut from the one shop/restaurant that they stopped at. I had been warned ahead of time about this practice and went to the shops at Tikal to get the souvenirs I wanted. The lunch provided was barely edible. Even tho everyone was starving (be sure to take food with you on this trip) since lunch was not until nearly 3 pm, only a couple of the men ate most of their food.
The trip to ATM was amazing. It can get cool in the cave when you are wet, so if you have a wetsuit jacket, you may want to bring it. We were all fine without one, but some of the thinner people were cool. One other thing to know is that the zip lining is an extra charge. The one that we did cost duPlooy's $20 US, but they charged us $55 US. If you go with a local driver, he may be able to get you a lower rate if you pay there. Overlal this was a wonderful week and I would highly recommend this trip.

Room Tip: They have rooms that are attached, and then some small bungalow type rooms which are large and more...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Teri H
Thanks so much for your review of duPlooy's and apologies for taking so long to respond. I'm glad you had a great time and hope that you will return.

Our packages do not include entrances to sites unless you have an all-inclusive package. We do not include them since there is such a large difference from one to the other and including them would drive the package price up a lot. I will check into why you were charged so much for your ziplining, though.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 1 March 2014

duPlooy's delivered an awesome week of adventures. We purchased the all inclusive package, so we had all our meals and daily tours included with the lodging. We stayed in bungalow #10. The king size bed was very comfortable and the room is extra large with a small kitchenette. After a long day of adventure it was nice to come back to a room that didn't feel stuffy. The meals were excellent. The breakfast menu included many egg choices, pancakes or banana pancakes, oatmeal. Fresh made bread or muffins were included, plus fresh juice. The fry jacks were really yummy. Fry jacks are basically fried scones. Add a little duPlooy's jelly and it's almost enough for your meal. Lunch was either at a restaurant or a pack lunch. The packed lunches included great sandwiches and homemade cookies. Dinner always included fresh baked bread and three entree choices. Usually a seafood option, pork, lamb, or chicken, and a veggie option. I'm a picky eater, but I always found an option to my liking. The food is professionally prepared and excellent. The last night we had a pork dish that I wish was offered by a restaurant in the United States. It would be my first choice when I dine out. The quantity of food was more than adequate and I never felt hungry.
The grounds of the lodge are well kept and the Belize Botanical Gardens next door was fun for an evening run. I should say something about the staff. The staff is first rate and very professional. The servers at meals are very kind and caring. I wish we could import a few Belizeans to the United States. We could learn a few things. In addition, you can drink the water. I was concerned about that, however duPlooy's use a well that provides excellent water for both drinking and bathing. So take your water bottles. No need to buy bottled water.
The owner Judy duPlooy is very friendly and concerned that her customers have a great experience. We had a bad experience on one of our day trips with a contracted trip operator and she went the extra mile to make things right. I was very impressed. Staying in a jungle lodge was great, because we could experience another world without totally leaving the comforts of home. The sounds at night are fascinating. Nightly visits to the bar by kinkajous is very fun. duPlooy's provides the bananas and the kinkajous put on a show. I almost forgot to mention the birds. In the morning all kinds of exotic colorful birds show up to put on a show. First, I'd recommend Belize for an awesome vacation and second I'd recommend duPlooy's to deliver the awesome. In the week we were there we went to three Maya ruins, cave tubing, zip-lining, several caves (ATM is a must), butterfly gardens. The trip was simply amazing.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello, I'm sorry to take so long responding to your great review. Let me just say that, on behalf of our staff, we really appreciate your comments. Don't forget to ask for your return guest's discount when you return.

Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My husband and I spend a week at duPlooys and thoroughly enjoyed our (first ever!) stay in a jungle eco-lodge. The staff at duPlooys is exceptional. All very professional yet personable. Judy, the owner of duPlooys came around almost daily and inquired about guests' well-being, or to chat. A nice touch!
The variety of dishes offered in the dining room was well prepared, and tasty. We thoroughly enjoyed our breakfasts and dinners.
The first room was next to the office and somewhat basic but totally adequate for two people, with a shower and double beds. We were moved to La Casita, a large, two-story, more-than-adequate-for-two people cabin the last two nights of our stay. We enjoyed the closeness to the Macal River and Botanical Gardens there. The grounds at duPlooys are well kept and you can wander among the wonderful plants and trees. I was very surprised that I did not encounter the "huge swarms of mosquitoes" I was fully prepared to battle with "gallons" of mosquito repellent and my relaxation quotient went up immediately. One of the highlights of our week at duPlooys were the kinkajous and Aracaras, which were fed bananas at dusk and watermelons at dawn (6 a.m.), respectively. What fun to be able to get so close to real jungle dwellers eagerly awaiting their treats on the bar deck twice a day!
We were also very impressed with the tours arranged through duPlooys, such as cave-tubing, the Mayan ruins of Xinantunich and Tikal. Tour guides like Noel and Phillip were exceptional and very knowledgeable about their area of expertise and the country of Belize on the whole.
In summary, we hope to return with the grandkids one day to this little piece of jungle heaven.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Cayowoman, Owner at duPlooy's Jungle Lodge, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Thanks for your review and I'm glad you enjoyed the jungle. When you bring the grandchildren, let me know and I'll tell you the trip favorites of my grandchildren.

Isn't it amazing that a property can be organic, in the tropics and yet have virtually no biting insects? This is because there are so many birds, lizards, frogs, etc that eat them both before and after they hatch.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My wife and I were on our honeymoon, and couldn't have had a greater welcome. The staff was very nice and accommodating throughout our stay,and even gave us a bottle of wine in honor of our occasion.

A nice surprise was the great botanical garden, and amazing views from the balcony. Every morning toucans eat fruit by the bar, and every evening you can feed bananas to the kinkajous!

Each morning our drivers were prompt and courteous, and the staff told us exactly what we needed to bring each morning. The road there is a bumpy one, but everything else from meals to trip planning was smooth!

We'd recommend this to anyone going to Belize and looking for great food and adventure.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks for your positive review and for visiting duPlooy's. Now you can plan your next trip - the one when you bring your children to show them the place where you honeymooned!! As always, it's our great staff that make your stay a good one.

Downers Grove, Illinois
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Arrived in a rainstorm. It was a good thing that we had a driver from the hotel pick us up at Belize International airport, otherwise we would have never found DuPlooy's. The owner, Judy, is actively involved overseeing the day-to-day operations. She greets all her guests at morning breakfast. You cannot ask for better service from the main desk. Everyone was ready to assist us. Customer service is a priority here. Day excursions are planned at the front desk. The hotel arranges for a driver and tour guide who arrive promptly for departure time. Food is homemade, yet a limited selection is available at dinner. If you are a picky eater, they will try to accommodate you to the best of their ability. The bartender is usually available before dinner, however he may not be available if you are attempting to eat a later meal as he may be a dinner server as well. Thus, we did not receive our "welcome" drink. On our last morning our group was on the deck enjoying our morning coffee and enjoying some bird watching. One of the servers came out and asked if we would like to eat our breakfast on the deck. That was a great treat.
The rooms are clean; yet no frills. You are in the jungle. There appeared to be some generator issues for power. Our room had power for most circuits. On occasion, there were are few lights that did not work.

Room Tip: The trip from Belize International is quite long. If there is a way to fly into Maya Flats airstri...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Thanks for your review - and thanks for letting me know that the bartender was not there because he is supposed to be. You were here during our really bad weather spell so the roads were in worse than usual shape. But, you are right, it is a long drive. We recommend driving one way so that you can stop at the zoo on the way to or from duPlooy's and get a real look at a bit of Belize. Flying one way to or from Maya Flats gets you here or to your next destination quickly and gives you an aerial view of the jungle. (add $50 per person to your package).