“Outstanding vacation!”

duPlooy's Jungle Lodge
Ranked #3 of 32 San Ignacio B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I am so happy that we got advice to stay at DuPlooy's from some bird-watching friends of ours. We are a family of 5, with two teenages (16, 14), and an 8 year old. The setting of the lodge is incredible, very secluded, yet very comfortable and "cozy" at the same time. It felt like a tropical paradise to us. I could not get over how incredibly friendly and helpful the staff was - every single one of them. We spent several days with Victor, and our youngest son William almost cried when he had to say goodbye. Victor is particularly wonderful with kids, but everyone else was, too. The lodge is on a river with crystal clear water, and as a regular swimmer, it was fantastic to end the day swimming in a very clean river with birds flying all around. There are many, many activities to choose from, and you will not run out of things to do. I applaud Judy, the owner, for keeping it very eco-friendly. The accomodations were large and very comfortable. I can't say enough good things about this place.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Cayowoman, Owner at duPlooy's Jungle Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2014

It was great to see the young people so interest in watching the birds. There are so many right around you that it's hard not to get interested.

I agree with you about the river. The people who come here when it's muddy (but still clean) do not get this experience. I too swim there nearly every day which is why I get to be a fit 70 year old.

Thanks so much.

There are newer reviews for duPlooy's Jungle Lodge

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Duplooy’s eco-Jungle Lodge is a “slice of heaven on earth!” From the minute we arrived, we felt it was going to be a special vacation, and it truly was. We went with our good friends who had visited Duplooy’s many times, so they gave us ideas of things we could do. We ended up getting in great shape by walking every morning through the beautiful botanical gardens and down by the riverwalk, while watching and listening to all the tropical birds, and then almost always tubing down the Macaw River to cool down during the afternoon. One day we were also able to get a ride into market in San Ignacio and visited some local pubs/restaurants. Another day we visited the Xunantunich Myan Ruins. Wow, talk about an experience. One of us climbed to the top (not me), which was quite a hike, but well worth it, I hear, for the view. While at the ruin, we heard howler monkeys and actually saw a spider monkey who kept us entertained for a good half hour.
The staff at Duplooys was very friendly and knowledgeable. They all felt like family by the time our trip ended. Duplooy’s has a restaurant that we ordered breakfast, lunch and dinner most days. We did not have one bad meal. The specials varied every night, and there was always a choice that would put a smile on your face and a dessert to die for.
I have never had a more relaxing vacation in my life. The sounds, sights and people made me forget about the hectic life we all sometimes lead. Now it’s a matter of the wait to go back!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nancy C

Thanks for your review of duPlooy's. You spent a lot of time around the lodge which is what we really like. You don't really have to go far from the lodge to enjoy some of the experiences that are Belize's jungle.

Hope to see you here again one of these days.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We had a great family vacation. Everything went smoothly, from pick up at airport, stay at the lodge, excursions, and travel to the "beach hotel". Staff friendly, ready to answer all our questions. Food was great. Rooms were clean. It was fabulous not to hear traffic, airplanes, helicopter noise etc. Fun to watch the birds,kinkajous, and various other wildlife.
Whole family (Grandma, mom, dad, 3 teen boys) thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

1  Thank DZZ_3

I'm glad that your whole family enjoyed their stay at duPlooy's. It's a nice getaway, isn't it? And really special to be able to have a family vacation without districation.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

We were picked up at Belize City airport by a wonderful guide from DuPlooys and had a great drive to the lodge. He was very friendly and well informed. The lodge is fairly remote, which is great to be tucked back in the jungle for a relaxing vacation. The people were exceptionally friendly, the food excellent, the service was superior. The lack of TV was wonderful, and no A/C was not a problem with the ceiling fans. We did outings to Guatemala to see Tikal, and they provided a wonderful driver, guide, lunch - a great day! We also did the Cave Tubing, which was a real blast, the lodge sent us with a picnic lunch which was delicious! We loved the bar area to relax, visit with the friendly bartender, the resident kinkajous that came every evening! We loved our visit there and would certainly recommend them to anyone!

1  Thank ColoradoBlondie

Thanks so much for your review of duPlooy's. The fact that I took so long to respond doesn't indicate lack of appreciation - just a bit of procrastination. We like that you would recommend our lodge to people.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

I loved our time at Du Plooy's! Food was good, service was very friendly and we had a nice chance to get acquainted with the staff over the course of 5 days. Met some very interesting people and the guides there were superb. They even pulled us through cave tubing (we are both over 70). The lack of air conditioning did not bother me--I actually hate air conditioning. The fans were very adequate at night. I especially liked the firm, flat bed where the sheets and mattress did not cling to me allowing good air circulation. Philip the bird guide was excellent although I didn't get enough time with him. Great birds! We did get to spend an entire morning with the botanist at the botanic garden and loved getting acquainted with tropical trees that we in temperate regions have no idea of--we only see the fruit. Glad they didn't have a pool or workout center--that means the people who need those don't come. It was a great place for families.

Room Tip: they will find a good one.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kathleenstewart2014

Thanks for your review of duPlooy's. Guests who appreciate us for what we are are the ones we want to visit us. And I think there are more and more folks like that around these days. Just getting away to a completely different environment is what a real vacation is all about.

Your comments mean a lot.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

We were very impressed with duPlooy's. The grounds were absolutely beautiful, with lush vegetation and abundant animal and bird life. We loved the bird and insect serenade in the mornings and evenings. The buildings were designed to blend with the surroundings. A boardwalk and cobblestone path connected the cabins with the restaurant and open air bar ... the ambiance was like summer camp, only with really great food and tropical drinks. The bar (actually a family-friendly area serving all kinds of beverages and snacks) was on a deck overlooking the jungle and river, and was a great place to pass the time. It included a bird-feeding station where various birds would come to feast on fruit, and a kinkajou family (unfathomably cute mammal species ... look it up) shows up like clockwork at 6:30 pm for bananas. The food was the best we had in Belize. You could order from a regular breakfast or lunch menu, or have the continental breakfast featuring fresh-baked breads and fresh fruits. Dinner options changed nightly. You could choose from three options, with one vegetarian option always available. Everything we tried was great.

DuPlooy's staff were very helpful in setting up activities. The trip to Tikal was great, and our kids had a great time on the cave tubing trip. Very personal service. There was a lot to do on the grounds, including tubing on the river and hanging out at the beach. The botanical gardens were beautiful, and there were trails throughout. We were concerned that the lodge had no swimming pool (a pool would, in fact, be a nice addition), but it was fun to swim in the river. (Note: while we enjoyed swimming in the river, it is a bit slow and muddy, so some folks might not like it).

We stayed in "La Casita," which was very private and a great option for a family. It felt like staying in a tree house. The service was great from beginning to end. At one point, I sprained my ankle on a hike, and a staff member came to our cabin to offer first aid ... he spent a long time soaking it, applying medicinal herbs and taping it up. The extra concern was much appreciated.

We stayed a little over a week on Ambergris Caye and 3 days at duPlooy's. If I had it to do over again, I'd reverse that. DuPlooy's and the San Ignacio area were simply more beautiful, with lots of interesting activities for outdoor-oriented people.

2  Thank Klutzy403

What a lovely long review. My apologies for not responding sooner. People are sometimes concerned about our not having a pool, but with our solar power and feelings about staying organic as much as possible, we decided not to have one. The river is not always muddy and is truly lovely when it is is clear.

I've said it too many times, but we do appreciate our staff and their attention to guests' needs and even after 26 years in Belize I haven't gotten tired of the surroundings.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

I am a sales manager for an IT security company and won this vacation for being top salesman of the year in 2013. What a very nice escape for me and my wife! Absolutely awesome. Rustic, wild and peaceful. The cellphone coverage is almost non existent and they have limited WiFi available which proved to be the best thing for me to step back and literally smell the roses. The staff is top notch, friendly, extremely helpful, knowledgeable and genuinely very nice people. The lodges are nestled just above the Macal River and the entire site is literally in the Jungle. Plenty of wildlife to enjoy in addition to the wonderful botanical gardens. Very well maintained property. The food was excellent and the outdoor bar area was ideal for kicking back and relaxing with a cocktail with the sounds of the jungle. No A/C and no TV, which was absolutely perfect. I had a little trouble sleeping at first hearing the crickets and sounds of the jungle but my wife slept very well and I got used to it after a day or so. Overall an excellent vacation and we will certainly be back. A day trip to Guatemala to see Tikal is a must! Wow!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

I'm glad you enjoyed your respite from technology. While we depend on all of our devices, it's good to get away from them now and then. When you come back bring some more of your co-workers and we'll help you get over any IT withdrawals by supplying the peace and quiet of the Belizean Jungle.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Ignacio
#1 of 1 in Bullet Tree Falls
Mystic River Resort
Mystic River Resort
#1 of 1 in Negroman

Been to duPlooy's Jungle Lodge? Share your experiences!