“Natural History Heaven”

duPlooy's Jungle Lodge
Ranked #3 of 32 San Ignacio B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 April 2010

Initially I hesitated to book duPlooy's because it is an older property. Especially in a "jungle" setting, I feared that this would translate to moldy, mildewy, and dated and shabby with saggy beds-----was I wrong! Extremley well-maintained, with clean, comfortable accommodations and dining facilities, duPlooy's BENEFITS from having been around longer than the new kids on the block. Why? The mature, carefully-nurtured plantings around the site (including the adjacent Belize Botanic Gardens) embrace you in their beauty and bring amazing wildlfe sightings to eye-level as you walk the canopy-level boardwalk between your room and the convivial bar. You could spend your whole vacation at this bar---and I don't mean drinking (though you can get most anything)--I mean enjoying the avian and mammalian visitors to the daily fruit trays set out to attract the likes of collared aracari, red-legged honeycreeper, chachalacas, yellow-winged tangers, clay-colored robins, brown jays and blue-crowned motmots, to name a few day visitors and cunning kinkajous by night. Look up into the higher trees above and you're sure to spot keel-billed toucans too. Venture off the porch and the list of what you will see grows exponentially--potoo, bat falcon, barn owls, trogons, caciques, not to forget various lizards and a night marauding armadillo. My husband and I were truly in natural history heaven by day and night, right on the property and also during the excellent excursions we made, particularly with duPlooy's super resident bird guide, Mr. Philip Mai. The whole staff was great, but we particularly clicked with him and had memorable outings to El Pilar and Barton's Creek Cave, plus on-site guiding that truly opened our eyes and ears wider. I would have slept on a board to experience this place, but I didn't have to; our bungalow was super comfortable and not moldy at all. We loved being right on the Macal River for swimming and canoeing (and wildlife-watching, of course). The 'create-your-own package" is an excellent value. There's no stinting on what can be included. There's a welcoming, can-do, flexible attitude throughout to accommodate singles, couples and families. You better Belize that this is a great place to experience Cayo.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tellurian
There are newer reviews for duPlooy's Jungle Lodge

Reviewed 20 March 2010

We stayed at duPlooys for four nights and did the package that included food and tours. We loved it! We had a bungalow and it was so spacious, very secluded and quiet. We toured ion the day and spent our evenings enjoying the peacefulness if being in the jungle! The rooms and bungalows face the river and each have a porch for you to sit out in. The food was excellent. Tours were good, good adventure trips (caving, river floating, Tikal, horse backing riding). Sometimes the place was short staffed, but the staff was v ery friendly and gracious, so it was not too much of an issue. We enjoyed cocktail hour in the porch, as well as early morning coffee on the porch bird and ani,al watching. Delighful. The guides were excellent also.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lizardMarquette_MI
Reviewed 23 February 2010

On our way from Ambergris Caye to Duplooy's, we enjoyed a visit to the Belize Zoo. Our guide, Silvano, was on a first-name basis with the birds, cats, tapirs, etc and was extremely knowledgeable. I would highly recommend him as the best guide we had on our 10 day trip, although all of them were very bright and knew their area. Had a clean, beautiful room at DuPlooy's and the food was delicious. The landscaping and wild plants were gorgeous. Service staff is helpful and efficient. Fed the aracaris and kinkajous, everyone wanted to take one home with them. Tikal was great once I learned to cope with my acrophobia. My legs were so sore the next day! We went to the Saturday market in San Ignacio and also toured the Barton Creek cave. Our legs were too tired for the waterfalls we were initially taken to, but we went to the Rio On Pools instead where we cooled off and got a free massage under the refreshing waterfall.
If I were to change anything about our recent trip, we would have done one less day on Ambergris and one more day in the Jungle and had time to visit the Botanic Gardens next door to the lodge. My husband George really enjoyed being George of the Jungle! We will be happy to refer our friends and family for a similar trip, ours was most enjoyable. I would have to say, of course, that I do not have a good impression of Taca Airlines, it's hard to forgive them for squeezing an extra $360 out of us after the prices were quoted to our agent. The Belizean people are so polite and friendly, that was a big part of making this trip very special.
Celeste & George Liddle

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SoCalGal58
Reviewed 30 January 2010

This hotel far exceeded my expectations. They have an excellent, friendly, and professional staff across the board. The staff was extremely flexible and worked hard to ensure that all the excursions exceed your expectations.

The hotel itself is situated in the jungle and provides an excellent rustic feel. The only downside is that the hotel is located off the beaten path so expect to travel around 1-2 hours/day to reach the major highlights of Belize (I believe most hotels would be the same way due to how spread out everything is). I highly recommend this location for anyone traveling to Belize.

• Stayed: January 2010
Reviewed 3 January 2010

Duplooys far exceeded our expectations!! The people, guides, food, accommodations, lodge, everything was near perfect. The lodge is nestled in a beautiful rainforest and surrounded by wildlife. The staff were super helpful and just the nicest people you could meet. And the list of activities on site as well as off site was top notch. Our family had a wonderful time and we highly recommend Duplooys. We hope to return soon.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 December 2009

Judy and all the fine people with duPlooy's,

My family and I would like to thank you for what has been the best vacation we have ever had. I served in the military and now travel around the globe for the government and have never stayed at a place where we have felt more at home. Your staff was attentive and genuinely interested in us while we were there and I can't imagine a finer group of people anywhere. As for thecountry of Belize, it is truly a gem! Everywhere we went, we were welcomed by your countrymen. We loved the natural beauty of Belize and certainly will return again someday and visit the areas we missed on this trip.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank TravelerPWF
Reviewed 23 November 2009

Spent only a few days there (Wed-Sat) but enjoyed our stay. Love the valley these and the other nearby lodges are in rather than Pine Ridge based on what I saw. This is rain forest - lush, thick with trees, green. Pine Ridge, a bit sparse - just different I guess.

The place itself is a bit dated - they really need to change their dining room setting to something more open like other places have done. The bar/deck area is great, though. As a non-birder, I started getting really into it after a few morning coffees here - good expertise is always on hand.

The grounds are lovely and nearby botanical garden a nice, but simple bonus. Some rooms looked basic but we stayed in the cabanas and thought the pictures don't do them justice - very nice and great deck to just kick back and read amongst the sound of the rain forest with your hurrican lantern on. For those who have lived deep in a rain forest, this isn't that - no thunderous screeching at 5am, just pleasant occassional bird sounds and the drip-drip from the mist collecting on the trees. Note, this isn't luxury - this is very nice, comfortable and clean.

Staff was a plus - very friendly and helpful although I had to really pry to get some judgements on what options were better for my bundled trips. They may be afraid to read your mind for preferences but you really need some guidance since the options are so varied. Went to Tikal and things went smoothly. Having been to Tikal before, I would stay overnight closer if you can manage it to avoid so much driving in a day and to hear a TON of jungle sounds if you stay at the Jaguar Inn. But for variety after Tikal, this is a great spot. Didn't go to the ATM cave but wish we made time for it based on other's stories.

Two nits. Food was pretty good, but not great (except lamb burger and DuPlooy's quesadilla - awesome). Might be my American habits but thought meat portions a bit small and sauces a bit heavy handed. Still, left content every night. My biggest issue was the generator - it kills the morning tranquility on the far side of the grounds (you don't hear it from your rooms). It's a necessity but I hope they can upgrade to solar or wind to avoid needing it in the a.m. and make the birding on that end of the grounds that much more enjoyable.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Bullet Tree Falls
Mystic River Resort
Mystic River Resort
#1 of 1 in Negroman

Been to duPlooy's Jungle Lodge? Share your experiences!