Initially I hesitated to book duPlooy's because it is an older property. Especially in a "jungle" setting, I feared that this would translate to moldy, mildewy, and dated and shabby with saggy beds-----was I wrong! Extremley well-maintained, with clean, comfortable accommodations and dining facilities, duPlooy's BENEFITS from having been around longer than the new kids on the block. Why? The mature, carefully-nurtured plantings around the site (including the adjacent Belize Botanic Gardens) embrace you in their beauty and bring amazing wildlfe sightings to eye-level as you walk the canopy-level boardwalk between your room and the convivial bar. You could spend your whole vacation at this bar---and I don't mean drinking (though you can get most anything)--I mean enjoying the avian and mammalian visitors to the daily fruit trays set out to attract the likes of collared aracari, red-legged honeycreeper, chachalacas, yellow-winged tangers, clay-colored robins, brown jays and blue-crowned motmots, to name a few day visitors and cunning kinkajous by night. Look up into the higher trees above and you're sure to spot keel-billed toucans too. Venture off the porch and the list of what you will see grows exponentially--potoo, bat falcon, barn owls, trogons, caciques, not to forget various lizards and a night marauding armadillo. My husband and I were truly in natural history heaven by day and night, right on the property and also during the excellent excursions we made, particularly with duPlooy's super resident bird guide, Mr. Philip Mai. The whole staff was great, but we particularly clicked with him and had memorable outings to El Pilar and Barton's Creek Cave, plus on-site guiding that truly opened our eyes and ears wider. I would have slept on a board to experience this place, but I didn't have to; our bungalow was super comfortable and not moldy at all. We loved being right on the Macal River for swimming and canoeing (and wildlife-watching, of course). The 'create-your-own package" is an excellent value. There's no stinting on what can be included. There's a welcoming, can-do, flexible attitude throughout to accommodate singles, couples and families. You better Belize that this is a great place to experience Cayo.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- duPlooy's Jungle Lodge Resort, on the Macal River, an organic property since 1988, now powered by the sun, may just be the Eco-Lodge you are looking for.duPlooy's offers the original "Create Your Own Vacation' package as well as set packages for individuals and groups and custom packages which include other locations in Belize. Whatever you are looking for, we offer a great venue for your Belize Vacation for Families,Romantic Getaways and Honeymoons, Adventure Holidays and more. There is excellent Birding on and around the property as well as many on-site activities.Included with your room: continental breakfast, entrance to adjacent Belize Botanic Gardens, access to trails, use of canoes and tubes from our beautiful Macal River Beach,incredible bird watching from the deck with complimentary morning coffee, delicious meals from locally-sourced meats, eggs and produce. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your duPlooy's Jungle Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Duplooy`s Jungle Hotel San Ignacio
- DuPlooy's Jungle Lodge Belize/San Ignacio