Midas Belize
Ka'ana Resort(San Ignacio)
US$267
US$231
San Ignacio Resort Hotel(San Ignacio)
US$175
US$191
US$659
US$449
  • Breakfast included
Windy Hill Resort(San Ignacio)
TripAdvisor
Tropicool Hotel(San Ignacio)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsin townpool bardeluxe roomsfamily cottagemain buildinghot waterlarge poolfry jacksair conditioningpeace and quietguava limbfront porchcouple of nightsstayed nightscahal pechceiling fanthe cottages
Reviewed 23 May 2011

I'm not going to pull any punches with you. If you're like me, which means you're a solo and/or budget traveler - Midas Resort is for you. If you're looking for something more upscale and along the lines of a Comfort Inn - you just may be disappointed. For starters, I feel the need to clarify that Midas is NOT a resort and doesn't have resort-type amenities. I stayed in one of their cabins (cabana) and found it to be fairly comfortable but very basic. I also found the staff was very friendly and helpful.

Here are a few of my pointers: #1 The resort is in a perfect location. It's a safe 10-minute walk into the town of San Ignacio on level ground. That's worth mentioning because some hotels are up a hill and while it's easy to walk downhill, walking up a hill in the hot sun could be quite a downer. #2 While modern, the cabins are truly as close to nature as you can get. That means you shouldn't be surprised to find tree frogs hanging out on your door (waiting for flies) and insects inside your cabin. There were plenty of teeny insects and ants walking around - none of which bothered me and are completely out of management's control. #3 Because there were plenty of small insects around, I made it a point to ALWAYS keep my luggage zipped up. Even if I went into my bag to grab my toothbrush and would be putting it back less than five minutes later I still zipped up my bag. #4 I think the construction company did a poor job on the bathroom stall dimensions. There are no shower curtains or doors and once I got the shower going there was nothing to keep water from falling onto the bathroom floor behind me. Just lay out the floor towel and you will be fine. #5 In my cabin there was no running hot water and I got water at whichever temperature it came out of the tap. The water was NOT freezing cold and once I got the water going, it was a matter of getting my arms wet, soaping up and getting the rest of my body wet slowly. It didn't bother me but you may want to know that. After having several long, hot days I found the water to be the perfect temperature to be considered refreshing. #6 I appreciated the fact that Midas is as close to eco-friendly as possible. They gladly accepted my water bottles for recycling and left my towels and washcloths to be re-used (per my "hanging" request). I personally find it an incredible waste to wash towels every single day when I'm the only person using them for no more than three days. #7 All prices in the area are quoted in Belizean dollars but make sure you always ask. For instance, my taxi from the bus station to Midas was $5 and I readily pulled out my cash. Once I asked and was told it was in Belizean dollars I only had to pay $2.50. #8 There is definitely loud music coming from one of the establishments at night. While I was in my cabin I had the A/C going and the television playing so I was insulated from the sound. In the morning you will definitely hear birds chirping with the sunrise. If you're a light sleeper you may want to take that into consideration.

At the end of the day, I wanted to stay somewhere affordable where I felt safe and the linens were clean. Midas succeeded on all of those points. If I'm in San Ignacio and still on a budget, Midas would be my go-to place to stay.

Room Tip: Cabins MAY be tight for two people
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
9  Thank appetite4trvl
Reviewed 10 May 2011

Friendly, extremely helpful staff. They went above and beyond to insure our stay was the best it could be.Our tours and dining arrangements were organized flawlessly. My Wife and I look forward to visiting them again soon.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2011

Be careful when booking hotels in Belize. Add 20% + to the price quoted for both tax and "service" fee. We booked a room on the second floor of the main building. The web site made this room look huge. They aren't, in fact they're quite small. The bathroom, although done with nice tile, was barely large enough for 2 people (and we're not large people). The "sliding door" to the patio featured on the web site is almost funny. It's a 4 foot door, which means the opening is 2 feet and you step over the sewer pipe to get out on the "patio". The flat screen TV is a funny one too. It can't be more than 18 inches total! What I couldn't understand is the pricing. San Ignacio is a town with some great local cuisine. Diner for 2 runs about $20 US tops. So if diner is $20 why is my hotel $120.00? The place is under construction, the grounds are not clean and the staff was so-so. They were slamming a door next to our room at 6 am to try to get it to lock. Not one slam but maybe 10. Be very careful about these web sites, they're very misleading

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank daytripper2011-11
Reviewed 10 April 2011

Beautiful area (see pics) - I am completely baffled by negative reviews - perhaps someone took the word "resort" too literally - you feel like a kid playing upscale tree fort - nice bungalows, neat, clean, hard beds (which I like) ,hammocks, beautiful grounds, brand new pool, naught a peep from construction, and unbelievably helpful staff (Dorothy, Thomas, all!) To get a visual, the office is up front (so when you drive up you just see office and some construction) but then go around back - the retreat begins - bungalows/cabins are lined up on two sides of a sidewalk going back - hot, but we did not need air conditioning - we even got wireless and to see our beloved VCU in the college semi-finals - that was a bonus!! If you expect high end luxury, don't go to San Ignacio - but awesome place to walk to town (felt safe), and great point for three major Mayan ruins, tubing and caving trips (must do ATM), just beautiful - and to previous comments about it being "dark" in the room; the native wood of Belize is mahogany and the Mennonites make these cabins - the wood in there is GORGEOUS and you are staying in lodging that represents the local culture - pretty neat - and they have plenty of lamps? Only "not excellent?" - water pressure low and shower together if you want to take advantage of the hot water! but, hey, you're in the jungle

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank grateful02
Reviewed 19 March 2011

Midas resort is basically a collection of huts around a walkway, a few newer rooms, and a couple bunk houses with bathrooms in the courtyard. The resort is situated next to a river, and has a newly constructed pool and a patio where you can get breakfast in the morning and wifi all day. Staff at the Midas Resort were friendly enough. I don't know what some of the people complaining about the staff were expecting, new best friends? The maid was fantastic and very friendly, the check-in clerk was fast and explained everything to us thoroughly, and the check-out clerk was absolutely fantastic (I'll get to that later). We booked a family casita, which is a metal-roofed bungalow with three beds and a bathroom. The room was tight with three beds and a TV, but sufficient and probably a great value and very convenient if you go there with kids or friends. The bathroom was also tight, but brand-new and clean and everything worked. The front porch had a adirondack bench and a hammock tied up to one side, which we unfolded and hung so we could swing in it one afternoon. We didn't partake of the breakfasts, as the things I would have gotten were cheaper in town. Speaking of town, it was very close to the Midas. We had a rental car, but it was probably a 10 minute walk to town, and in 15 minutes you could be almost anywhere in San Ignacio (San Ignacio's pretty compact) where you'll find restaurants, grocery stores, and souvenir shops. We mostly booked this hotel for it's location and found it to be quite convenient indeed. Unfortunately, it's quite noisy at night, starting with the blaring music from one if the neighboring businesses until 2 or 3 am. Once that party's over, the dogs of San Ignacio all start barking, which goes on for several hours (seriously, I've never experienced anything like it), and when the dogs go to sleep, the roosters wake up and start crowing. Then the jungle birds start up. But that's what you get staying in a town like San Ignacio where you're simultaneously in town and in the jungle. With the windows closed and the AC on, you couldn't hear the racket and I slept fine.
So for the checkout clerk...when I checked out of Midas resort I charged our balance on a credit card, which I apparently left at the office and didn't figure it out until we were on Ambergris Caye. I emailed the resort, and Dorita, the checkout clerk, had it. She had emailed my husband already but he hadn't checked his email. She made arrangements to have the card delivered to and held at the Tropic Air desk at the Belize International Airport the day I was to fly out of Belize. I went to the desk and they directed me into the office, where, after checking my ID, a man handed me my card, sealed in an envelope with my and my husband's name on it .The card is now safely back in my wallet, and no fraudulent charges were attempted by anyone while it was out of my possession. This is my go-to credit card, and I have tons of bills set up to auto-bill to this card, so canceling it would have been a huge PITA, and I am sooooo grateful to Dorita and the other kind and honest Belizeans who got it back to me before I left the country.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple