“Recommended for private and quiet stay”
Review of Midas Belize

Midas Belize
Ranked #8 of 32 San Ignacio B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Our stay was very relaxing with clean & private room with air conditioning, tv, private bathroom, balcony, on site eatery, friendly staff, parking and swimming pool. Would totally recommend this resort to family friends when they next visit the San Ignacio area.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Midas Belize

Reviewed 29 June 2011

The grounds were nice, especially lit up at night, and the newer building they are working on by the pool is nice. The pool was cloudy (and almost too warm) and there is construction debris lying around.
We stayed in the little cabanas, but they are built very poorly. You could see daylight between the wall and window frames and other places and I'm assuming mosquitos, etc. easily made their way in. Two gals in our group had a returning, highly freaky looking frog. He made his first appearance in their toilet, and then in their shower.
There is at least a wall a/c unit in every cabana, so it helps cool it off and keep back the noise (dogs barking, roosters crowing). The bathrooms that we experienced in our cabana had nothing more than bar doors (think old western) so there was no potty privacy and it made it a little awkward.
The people who worked there were pleasant and helpful, and the breakfast was good. We had homemade waffles one morning that were delicious.
Overall they are on their way to being a great place, and keeping in mind locally what you have to compare them to, they are a good value. There are some problems, though, that they need to continue to work on.
Recommend the wings at Hodes Place restaurant a couple of doors down. Great family friendly place with a park, arcade, slot machines, ice cream, etc.

Room Tip: Stay in the newer building, not the cabanas.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank PTZHKWorld
Reviewed 25 May 2011

Very nice, clean, and large accomodations. Air conditioned unit made the stay even more enjoyable. Mike, his wife, and their staff were very pleasant in helpful throughout our stay. Recommend the Midas Resort without reservation.

Room Tip: Visit the ATM
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2011

I'm not going to pull any punches with you. If you're like me, which means you're a solo and/or budget traveler - Midas Resort is for you. If you're looking for something more upscale and along the lines of a Comfort Inn - you just may be disappointed. For starters, I feel the need to clarify that Midas is NOT a resort and doesn't have resort-type amenities. I stayed in one of their cabins (cabana) and found it to be fairly comfortable but very basic. I also found the staff was very friendly and helpful.

Here are a few of my pointers: #1 The resort is in a perfect location. It's a safe 10-minute walk into the town of San Ignacio on level ground. That's worth mentioning because some hotels are up a hill and while it's easy to walk downhill, walking up a hill in the hot sun could be quite a downer. #2 While modern, the cabins are truly as close to nature as you can get. That means you shouldn't be surprised to find tree frogs hanging out on your door (waiting for flies) and insects inside your cabin. There were plenty of teeny insects and ants walking around - none of which bothered me and are completely out of management's control. #3 Because there were plenty of small insects around, I made it a point to ALWAYS keep my luggage zipped up. Even if I went into my bag to grab my toothbrush and would be putting it back less than five minutes later I still zipped up my bag. #4 I think the construction company did a poor job on the bathroom stall dimensions. There are no shower curtains or doors and once I got the shower going there was nothing to keep water from falling onto the bathroom floor behind me. Just lay out the floor towel and you will be fine. #5 In my cabin there was no running hot water and I got water at whichever temperature it came out of the tap. The water was NOT freezing cold and once I got the water going, it was a matter of getting my arms wet, soaping up and getting the rest of my body wet slowly. It didn't bother me but you may want to know that. After having several long, hot days I found the water to be the perfect temperature to be considered refreshing. #6 I appreciated the fact that Midas is as close to eco-friendly as possible. They gladly accepted my water bottles for recycling and left my towels and washcloths to be re-used (per my "hanging" request). I personally find it an incredible waste to wash towels every single day when I'm the only person using them for no more than three days. #7 All prices in the area are quoted in Belizean dollars but make sure you always ask. For instance, my taxi from the bus station to Midas was $5 and I readily pulled out my cash. Once I asked and was told it was in Belizean dollars I only had to pay $2.50. #8 There is definitely loud music coming from one of the establishments at night. While I was in my cabin I had the A/C going and the television playing so I was insulated from the sound. In the morning you will definitely hear birds chirping with the sunrise. If you're a light sleeper you may want to take that into consideration.

At the end of the day, I wanted to stay somewhere affordable where I felt safe and the linens were clean. Midas succeeded on all of those points. If I'm in San Ignacio and still on a budget, Midas would be my go-to place to stay.

Room Tip: Cabins MAY be tight for two people
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
9  Thank appetite4trvl
Reviewed 10 May 2011

Friendly, extremely helpful staff. They went above and beyond to insure our stay was the best it could be.Our tours and dining arrangements were organized flawlessly. My Wife and I look forward to visiting them again soon.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2011

Be careful when booking hotels in Belize. Add 20% + to the price quoted for both tax and "service" fee. We booked a room on the second floor of the main building. The web site made this room look huge. They aren't, in fact they're quite small. The bathroom, although done with nice tile, was barely large enough for 2 people (and we're not large people). The "sliding door" to the patio featured on the web site is almost funny. It's a 4 foot door, which means the opening is 2 feet and you step over the sewer pipe to get out on the "patio". The flat screen TV is a funny one too. It can't be more than 18 inches total! What I couldn't understand is the pricing. San Ignacio is a town with some great local cuisine. Diner for 2 runs about $20 US tops. So if diner is $20 why is my hotel $120.00? The place is under construction, the grounds are not clean and the staff was so-so. They were slamming a door next to our room at 6 am to try to get it to lock. Not one slam but maybe 10. Be very careful about these web sites, they're very misleading

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank daytripper2011-11
Reviewed 10 April 2011

Beautiful area (see pics) - I am completely baffled by negative reviews - perhaps someone took the word "resort" too literally - you feel like a kid playing upscale tree fort - nice bungalows, neat, clean, hard beds (which I like) ,hammocks, beautiful grounds, brand new pool, naught a peep from construction, and unbelievably helpful staff (Dorothy, Thomas, all!) To get a visual, the office is up front (so when you drive up you just see office and some construction) but then go around back - the retreat begins - bungalows/cabins are lined up on two sides of a sidewalk going back - hot, but we did not need air conditioning - we even got wireless and to see our beloved VCU in the college semi-finals - that was a bonus!! If you expect high end luxury, don't go to San Ignacio - but awesome place to walk to town (felt safe), and great point for three major Mayan ruins, tubing and caving trips (must do ATM), just beautiful - and to previous comments about it being "dark" in the room; the native wood of Belize is mahogany and the Mennonites make these cabins - the wood in there is GORGEOUS and you are staying in lodging that represents the local culture - pretty neat - and they have plenty of lamps? Only "not excellent?" - water pressure low and shower together if you want to take advantage of the hot water! but, hey, you're in the jungle

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple