“Never would recommended...”

Cahal Pech Village Resort
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in San Ignacio
Reviewed 22 June 2011

The only positives are the food, view and friendly staff. Don't stay for the view or pool or the food, because the rooms are over prized and very small and terrible beds. Some travelers don't know, other resorts have pool as well such as Windy Hill up the road, So, I suggest visit the Cahal Pech ruins, have lunch and a swim at the resort, while you up there and take in the view.

Room Tip: don't stay there
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank lowi05
There are newer reviews for Cahal Pech Village Resort

Reviewed 16 June 2011

I loved Cahal Pech Resort. We stayed in a bungalow and I just loved them. The hammock and porch were my personal favorite. This place offers a great view of San Iganacio, the only pool in town, local cuisine, friendly service, convenient location close to town and literally right next to the Mayan site Cahal Pech. They also offer great tours! I describe my stay in San Igancio and other sites in Belize in my blog, http://truegypsysoul.wordpress.com/2011/05/09/blissfully-belizean/. Read all my recommendations!

Room Tip: Stay in a Bungalow!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank beccaRosslynva
Reviewed 15 June 2011

I highly recommend spending time in San Ignacio and staying at Cahal Pech. It is about 1.5 hours from the international airport. We booked the "ultimate rainforest, ruins, and reef experience" with them. When booking, please remember that they are not on New Jersey time. The tours were amazing! Definately do the ATM but not on your first day like we did because nothing can beat it. (go with Carlos Panti for a guide, he is awesome!) We stayed in a cabana that was one of the tallest with very high ceilings. It was lovely but the AC cannot cool a room that large so I would get a simple room if you like it cool. The food served there is out of this world but it is a limited menu so I would not get the meal plans if I were staying there a week. We went in may 2011 and it was very hot! So we would ask the hotel to call us a cab. There is a market on the weekend and some small shops in town which is only a five minute drive. The taxi is 5 BZ. I do not suggest the Tikal tour if you are not up for walking miles in the sun. The hotel exchanged US for BZ without any issues.

Oscar makes amazing drinks by the way!

It is a wonderful place to stay with beutiful pools and gardens. I would definatley return!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hollynswanson
Reviewed 6 June 2011

I actually stayed here for a month back in August of 2007 so things might have changed since then. But I stayed here during an archeological field school and thought we were truly spoiled. People will always complain about SOMETHING, but I loved this place and San Ignacio was special and fun. The hotel rooms have both regular rooms and cabana-type rooms down on the hill. I stayed in both and preferred the cabanas b/c they seemed more private, the breeze coming through the hills kept the place comfortable and you can never go wrong with a hammok! The only downside is there us more chance of seeing bugs and other little creatures (harmless) and if it rains heavily, there might be some leaks as the roofs are thatched. But the regular rooms are nice and the air conditioning units were more than sufficient. The pool was amazing and a relief after digging for 8 hours under the sun. The staff were great. Super nice and genuine. I never ran into a rude person. The food is one of the things I miss the most (sadly enough). I still dream about their breakfast of mexican eggs with refried beans and homemade flour tortillas, fry-jacks and jam, fresh fruit, coffee--it's the best. Their dinners are ok. I would stick with more traditional fare rather than "italian" or "american." you just can't go wrong with chicken, red beans and rice and fruit. it's more delicious than it sounds. And all moderately priced. Some might say otherwise, but the breakfast is more than worth it!! The hotel is also located right next door to a small Maya site, Cahal Peche. Definitely worth seeing, especially if you have some bigger sites on your itinerary. This will give a good persepctive on how diverse the Maya population was. There is also a cute little gift shop located in the hotel--although you can probably find the same stuff at cheaper prices downtown (and you should definitely go downtown). It's worth noting (good or bad) that the hotel is located at the top of a hill and to get to town you may have to take a taxi, which are cheap and friendly. I walked most of the time as long as it was light out. But the location makes it quieter and the view is spectacular. I loved this place a lot and would like to go back some day.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank queenchristina32
Reviewed 3 June 2011

We stayed in one of the newer cabanas and loved it! Sitting on the hill overlooking San Ignacio the view is awesome. The price was reasonable and the staff was friendly. We would stay here again and have no problem recommending Cahal Pech and any of our friends.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank snohamster
Reviewed 7 May 2011

Positives: Ordered an extra cot and got it quickly. The view is awesome. Pool is great! Good tasting supper.
Negatives: Rooms are very small if you are travelling with another couple. The A/C didn't cool the rooms. The matresses are not overly comfortable. Got charged more than we got quoted; when we questioned it, we were told they HAD to charge more, they had NO choice. The resort looks like it could've been really nice in the past, but it is in need of updating!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank bmdueck
Reviewed 21 April 2011

Cahal Pech sits hilltop overlooking San Ignacio and Santa Elena. The view is lovely, ant the swimming pools are very nice. Meals are excellent and inexpensive. Breakfast choices are fabulous. The staff planned our trips to ATM cave, zipline and cave tubing, and Tikal (Guatemala) tour. Each one had a great guide and went off without a hitch. We could not have asked for a better time.The whole facility was sparkling clean, neat, and well kept. It is not an "American" style faciltiy, which was great by us. We noticed not only tourists but business travellers also stayed there. That, to me, is a good sign. Their prices are very reasonable, especially compared to some of the other more US style resorts.

The cabins, with palm-thatched roof, were comfortable, clean, and pleasant. The hotel's driver was waiting to pick us up at the airport, and another driver took use to Placencia for the rest of our stay. I highly recommend this resort and their trip planning staff.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple