We were a bit hestitant to book Cahal Pech due to a few questionable reviews but loved the idea of a thatched-roof cabana with screened-in hammock porch overlooking the beautiful town of San Ignacio--so we decided to give it a try. Pictures from other TripAdvisor pictures were pretty accurate--views were amazing, pools were refreshing and cool, and cabana rooms were a bit rustic. We checked in to our cabana, and noticed one or two mosquitos in the room, a small spider in the shower, and small pieces of wood/leaves from the thatched roof on the bed and throughout the room--BUT at the same time, we understood that we were in Belize during rainy season in a cabana and expected some of these rugged elements...so we decided to not let it bother us. However, on the 2nd night, while laying in bed, my husband felt something fall on him that he thought was a leaf...and actually turned out to be a lizard that fell through the thatched roof! Although we love the outdoors, we quickly decided it was time to move from the cabanas to the main hotel with indoor rooms. Please don't think this is the hotel's fault...Belize is a tropical climate with many elements of nature that can't be contained!! We just realized the cabanas weren't for us! Main rooms were basic, cleaner, and had an even better view of the town as it is set higher than the cabanas.
As for everything else, the food/drinks were great at the hotel restaurant, and pool was clean and perfect to jump into after a long day of exploring the region. Staff was very understanding and accomodating and helped recommend activities and restaurants in town. The property is situated outside the main town of San Ignacio, so you may want to consider renting a car to get around (we rented car from Belize City and drove to San Ignacio, and then on to Placencia).
Overall, I would recommend Cahal Pech as it is uniquely situated from the other hotels in San Ignacio. However, just be prepared for some of the natural elements that you may encounter!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cahal Pech Village Resort is located in the heart of the Mayan world, San Ignacio, Cayo District, Belize. We offer professionally guided tours of local and other Mayan ruins in English and Spanish, as well as access to Mayan Healing, Culture and Art. We also offer Eco-tours, Jungle Adventure, Horseback Riding, Reef Diving and more. Relax at our Pool, or see Belize’s Beaches and Caves, Waterfalls, Sink Holes and Zoo. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Cahal Pech Village Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cahal Pech Village Hotel San Ignacio
- Hotel Cahal Pech Village
- Cahal Pech Village Resort Belize/San Ignacio