“Best vacation ever”

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in San Ignacio
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Best vacation ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2013

We were looking for a place to relax on this years vacation. I was playing around on the interent and decided on Belize for its beauty and culture. I also found Lenny from Cahal Pech and started to email him with the ideas of the type of vacation I wanted. He got back to me right away and spent so much time with me so I can have the best vacation possible. He suggested us splitting our vacation since we wanted adventure and relaxation on a beach. He suggested Cahal Pech for the Adventure part of our vacation and Palencia for our beach vacation. Well I can't say enough on how wonderful his advise was. I never booked a vacation without some hitch but now I can't make that statement. There was no hickup no oh sorry but. Everything Lenny said we had we had and had it better then I even imagined. From the pick up at Belize airport to our return trip. Our excursions were perfect, our driver Ian was the best. Ask for him and you will not be disappointed. Cahal Pech resort was perfect from the food to the room. We opted for the hotel stay since we would be in a thatched hut on the beach on the last journey of our vacation. WE were on the third floor and the view takes your breath away. The bar and restaurant was fabulous along with that wonderful pool. The service at the hotel was above average. We never had a problem and that is a first. I can't say enough about Cahal Pech and Lenny. Book with him and I promise you you will have the vacation of a life time. Believe me I pestered him with so many questions and doubts and never once did he waiver, get upset or ignore me. His responses to my emails were prompt. I will be returning to Belize and yes Lenny will be my only contact to set up my next vacation. To all the employees at Cahal Pech thank you for a wonderful vacation. FYI we looked at there thatched huts and they were great so next time we will stay in there but you won't be disappointed with the hotel. No it wasn't luxury but to me this was a 5 star hotel and vacation!!!

Room Tip: Stay on the third floor if you choose the hotel. Our room was room 201(I know it sounds like the se...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

The hotel wasn't spectacular, but it was clean and the staff was nice. We stayed in a family suite - which was perfect. There was actually a separate room for the kids with two beds (at least doubles) and a door that shut....

Food was nothing to write home about, but it was certainly edible.

Big upsides: the pool (actually two pools) which the kids loved. Outdoor dining was another big plus. The view from the pool/outdoor dining area is breathtaking. Lovely to relax after a long day of sightseeing with a Belikan Beer and take in the view!

Not so upside: The bathroom window is on the "hallway" (outdoor) that everyone walks to to get to their rooms - but the window has no window covering and the window is not tinted - so be aware if you are parading around naked in the bathroom, you may have an audience :-)

Room Tip: The family suite is a huge bonus - every other place we stayed on our Mayan adventure required us to...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Orient, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

We chose this property for the pool and the view and the tour package available. From this site we went with a guide to Caracol, Xunantunich, Barton Creek Cave, a butterfly farm, river tubing, St Herman's cave, Blue Hole, Rio Pools and Rio Frio Cave and other sites. Mario, our guide for many of the tours, was great. He is very knowledgeable and friendly. I would highly recommend asking for him as your guide.

We had a cabana. It was very basic, air conditioned (loud but worked), shower with some hot water and and enclosed porch.

Our package included meals. They were good but after 6 days, I got a bit tired of the selection. Also, if you are a vegetarian, you may have to make special arrangements.

The staff at the resort and the restaurant were extremely friendly and informative.

I would not hesitate to return.

I should also add, you best like hills.

Room Tip: I liked the cabanas for added privacy.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Dorset, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

We stayed here for a bit of r and r at the end of our trip. It is a lovely location, great views from our top floor room, swimming pool and terrace great for relaxing and enjoying a drink or two.

The but is that we were not impressed with the food. It was a limited menu, almost no vegetarian options, so we went out to eat both nights which was disappointing as we had hoped to just stay put. The breakfast buffet was a good selection, but the hot food was not kept hot so you needed to be there when it came out of the kitchen.

Getting into town without your own transport is about a 30 min walk, all downhill so it was fine, taxi back cost $7 Belize.

Overall, looking at the other reviews, this hotel seems to be a good base for a short break, using their expertise to go out on trips. It was ok for what we wanted, but there may be better options.

Room Tip: Great views from top floor rooms
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
San Ignacio, Belize
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

We stayed here to be close to the Cahal Pech Archaeological Site. The hotel is beautiful and the view is even better. Of course, it's hot, so drink lot's of water and make sure you coordinate all you do with Hotel Manager, Cynthia. She's brilliant and so are all the staff.

Room Tip: They're all great. Either a hotel room with a view and an air conditioner or a cabana (which, i...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Warren_Cancilla
Bailey, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

we recently returned from a package vacation at the cahal pech resort in san ignatio. Our tour was coordinated with Lenny and was all inclusive of meals, transportation, tours, and border transfers. We never met him but he was most reasonable and reliable in all email correspondence. We understood that the tours were actually handled by Shamira - a delightful person who arranged our tours, drivers and transfers perfectly to the T. We enjoyed a 1 BR cabana complete with hammock, comfortable with functional a/c and hot water. Food was very good, much better than expected, and our treatment/service from the front desk, waiters, and all drivers was superb. The only nuisance was occasional parade of ants in our room - we were informed that "this is the tropics". True to form, the ants always left as quickly as they arrived and never seemed to get into our clothes or luggage. I would advise keeping all your food/snacks in the compact refrigerator (as we did) though! Nevertheless, we were amazed at how the whole trip went without a glitch - a REAL bargain for the money!

Room Tip: cabana huts are great for couples and hammock is a very nice feature
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

We stayed here one night just before going to Tikal. They let us leave our car in the parking lot as you cannot bring your rental car into Guatemala. They also arranged to have us picked up at the border by their driver the next day. We took at taxi to the border, which was half the cost of their driver. They called the cab for us. I have Celiac, and had dinner there without a problem. The host at the check in desk had the restaurant manager come talk with me. She took notes and made me feel safe, and with good reason. The food was nice and I had no gluten!
They have a two level pool and an outdoor shower which my 12 year old son enjoyed a lot. They are a very short walk to the Cahal Pech site, which you should not miss. We had a car, so drove into town, but if you are in shape it is an easy walk. The town is really enjoyable. We liked the Saturday market a lot. This place was a very good value and everyone was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in San Antonio
San Ignacio Resort Hotel
San Ignacio Resort Hotel
#5 of 14 in San Ignacio

Been to Cahal Pech Village Resort? Share your experiences!