“MAYA MOUNTAIN ADVENTURE CHALLENGE” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cahal Pech Village Resort

Cahal Pech Village Resort
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in San Ignacio
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“MAYA MOUNTAIN ADVENTURE CHALLENGE”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

We produced the Maya Mountain Adventure Challenge at the beautiful Cahel Pech Resort in February. Teams from 7 countries traveled to San Ignacio to compete in this inaugural expedition race across the Maya Mountains. www.mayamountainadventurechallnge.com

In spite of the logistical challenges of moving this many racers & all their gear & equipment from the airport, the folks at Cahel Pech Resort where up to the task. Racers where able to relax & lounge, both before & after the event, on the pool deck & covered patio which proved very relaxing for all.

The rooms were clean & the staff where most helpful whenever called upon which was often for an event like this.

The staff also provided 3 meals for the racers, race production team, volunteers & film crew, and everyone got as much as they could eat. The food was tasty, fresh, well prepared & presented.

The resort is literally across te street from Cahel Pech Ruin which makes for an easy day trip if you are looking for a little more cultural & historical experiences.

The town of San Ignacio is at your doorstep & there are loads of great dining options & shops to visit! The view from the patio area is unsurpassed!!

We visited Belize 6 times in 2 years while researching this event & we found the locals to be welcoming, friendly & helpful. Belize is definitely the best value in Central America & the fact that most people speak fluent English & that American currency is excepted makes traveling there that much easier.

I generally feel as safe here as I would anywhere in the states. Having said that, there are a lot of places in te states that I wouldn't travel to at night or by myself. Making good decisions is your responsibility. Enjoy beautiful Green Belize!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Doug C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Polish first
Brookline, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I've been debating writing this review for a long time... but the lack of customer service has struck me so much that I had to finally take the plunge.

My family and I visited this establishment for a few days as we made a day trip to Tikal around the new year. They picked us up from the airport, provided good service on the day of entrance. The daytime staff seemed very welcoming and cordial. The "Belize snow" award-wining mixed drink was very good. The Cahal Pech dig site next to the resort is fascinating and under appreciated or documented in the Fodors/Lonely Planet/Travellers Bible realm. However, overall, the "resort" was quite cheap looking on the inside. It felt like a run down beach cabana or college dorm -- that might be insulting to a college dorm. There weren't even phones to call the front desk in the room. Very bare bones. Fine, we'd rough it, we thought... until the second evening...

I'll try not to embellish this next part: at 1am, someone climbed onto our deck balcony and banged on our door, trying to get in. Luckily my fiancé had locked the door. Terrified, we tried to scare him off. He looked wild-eyed and altered. He stumbled off the deck onto the next deck. We tried to get help from the front desk but alas no phone. Worried as we were in the middle of nowhere, we were hesitant to leave the room as we couldn't see where he went. He came back again. Other patrons in neighboring rooms were yelling, too, screaming for help and for him to go away. Finally after 20 minutes of yelling a very confused man who only spoke Spanish came running with a headlamp and machete. He was more frightened by our story than we were -- kept calling it a ghost. I dragged him downstairs as my protection to find the only working phone at the front desk unmanned. I called 911 and luckily the police spoke english and said they were on the way. In the meantime, we saw him trying to break into another patron's room via chair banging on their deck window as they were screaming. Finally the police came and we ran around the corner. They fired gunshots, the whole hotel was awakened. No staff but this make-shift security guard. Luckily no one was hurt and the hauled the guy away in handcuffs.

I awake the next day after taking us forever to get to sleep and we check-out to find that the guy was a patron of the hotel, a tourist, who took a sleeping pill he'd never taken before (probably Temazepam or Zolpidem/Ambien), doesn't recall the event and was delirious. I'm a physician. I understand that. This is probably a rare circumstance. I don't fault the hotel/resort for it.

However, I do fault them for being dismissive of the event, simply shrugging their shoulders, and offering no recourse. Their security was severely unhelpful. There are no phones in their rooms. There was no way to easily get help. Had I not intervened, would one of the patrons been even more hurt--either this delirious man or the people whose room he was about to break into? Absolutely. The staff did not thank me, did not want to hear the story despite multiple patrons being upset and furious. No apologies, AND no compensation. I don't ask for food to be returned or special treatment or reimbursements at restaurants or hotels. But in this case? Yes, absolutely, especially in light of no thankfulness or apologies. And nothing.

I don't believe it's proper for them to call themselves a resort. I perhaps would have given them two stars had this rare event not happened. But it did and the place is unsafe in the event of a rare circumstance. I'm not a sensationalist but they are close to very high crime neighborhoods. Their security is lacking. Their customer service is lacking. Their professionalism is lacking. I would never recommend friends or family to stay here.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Chase S
Cahal P, General Manager at Cahal Pech Village Resort, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Sir,

First of all allow me to apologize to you for the inconvenience, that caused you to not fully enjoy your stay with us.
We did an investigation and found out, that a guest from a group of Japanese elderly people staying with us that same night, had taken a sleeping pill, which as a result had caused this reaction.

The security at the time unfortunately was unable to communicate with you as well as we would have liked. He was trying to inform you, that the person was also a "guest at the resort". Apparently it sounded to you like he was saying a "ghost".
We have since reviewed our policies to deal with these kind of issues no matter how unlikely it may seem. We now have better security, that can communicate clearly in English with our guests.

I must take issue with your description of our location as being " close to very high crime neighborhoods". San Ignacio is not known to have a high crime neighborhood by any standard for our country, or any other North American standard. I have lived in this area all my life, and I am very surprised that anyone would use this term to describe our Jewel.

When talking to you the following morning before checking out you didn't seem to be as upset, or disturbed as your post indicates or I would have reacted differently to your dilemma.
I do apologize for not recognizing it that morning.
Millburn, New Jersey, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

After staying elsewhere in San Ignacio for a night, we spent our last day and night at Cahel Pech Village Resort. When we were looking for someplace to swim the day before in the incredible heat that is San Ignacio, our local driver recommended we try Cahel Pech. For a very small fee they allowed us to swim in their beautiful pool (actually pools, since there are three that are all connected, all with views of the surrounding area.) It was so relaxing, and the service people so friendly, that we inquired about a room for the following evening. We were two adults and one fifteen year old, and they had a two-bedroom suite for us, with air-conditioning (a must in the Cayo) balconies and views, at a remarkably good price. After a hot, sticky night in our lovely, but un-air-conditioned farmstay, we packed up and moved, and what a good choice it was! They have a computer, wifi, and a delicious restaurant. It's a short walk to town, though we took a $5 taxi, and the Cahel Pech ruins were just down the hill. If we return to the Cayo, this is where we will stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the hotel proper, and one with a balcony and view. The suites are just heaven, w...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We loved the hilltop view from our rooms balcony. The staff was pleasant and friendly. Not many rooms being used during our visit. An easy taxi ride to town for food and such. Yes the place is simple and older but not bad for the price. Pacz tours were who we used for our ATM and Tikal tours

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

I stayed at Cahal Pech at the end of my trip to Belize. As it was more than twice the price of the other places I stayed in Belize, I was expecting a nice hotel to end my trip. In reality, the Cahal Pech was a glorified holiday camp for American school kids. There was a massive group of them (or maybe two or more smaller groups) that completely overwhelmed the hotel…they were noisy and neither their chaperones nor the hotel staff attempted to quieten them.

The room was very basic for over $100 night…no fridge, just 3 clothes hangers, no shampoo, no hair drier, no table other than the small beside one, and just 1 chair (for 3 beds). The air con was very noisy and leaked water all over the balcony.

I opted for the buffet breakfast one morning. After I signed for it I realised that it was 100% veggie, just lots of variations on beans and eggs – I enquired if there were any meat dishes available. The waiter looked around the various dishes, before saying that there wasn’t, but I could order and pay for a plate of bacon. I’ve stayed in hotels in over 100 countries, and never come across a hotel buffet breakfast without meat. One night I ate at the hotel restaurant. The prawn curry was excellent, but the accompanying rice was so old and dry it was like eating breadcrumbs. I sent it back, and it was replaced by some “freshly cooked” that was no better than the first.

Wifi is only really available in the restaurant, and not in the rooms as advertised. The pool area is looking very aged, with a bizarre pterodactyl statue watching over the pool. In the 3 days I was there, the pool was cleaned just once as I was checking out. For the previous few days, the pool had been full of dead leaves and insects. It was really quite dirty. I was offered a tour via reception to the ATM cave for $133, but was able to find an identical tour (including hotel pick up) from Pacz Tours in town for $95.

On the plus side, the staff were generally helpful, and I was able to check in at 8am after arriving on an early flight. The views from most of the rooms over the valley was very nice.

Overall I was very disappointed in the hotel. It was massively overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank A380fan
Gilbert, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Our group loved staying here. The cabanas were nice and the main area at the restaurant and pool was beautiful! The good was always good and was always homemade. They had the best veggie burger I have ever had! The service was the best and they actually made us feel like we were family. One of the servers at dinner actually said that she missed us while we were gone for a few days during our trip! We had the opportunity to go on excursions each day and Cahal Pech did a great job coordinating the transportation and the guides who were all wonderful! We always felt welcomed, safe and at home here. Thank you so much!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank cas1441
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

This resort was very nice with its two pools, a restaurant and bar and spacious rooms. It was very clean and it is close to downtown where you can find various bars and restaurants and shops. The views from the resort are also beautiful!! Definitely would recommend staying here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
#1 of 1 in Bullet Tree Falls
Rumors Resort
Rumors Resort
#6 of 14 in San Ignacio

Been to Cahal Pech Village Resort? Share your experiences!