“Great staff, decent rooms, fun people”
Review of Rosa's Hotel

Rosa's Hotel
Toronto, Canada
“Great staff, decent rooms, fun people”
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Rosa's was one of the coolest places we stayed during our Central American trip. I am used to staying in hostels and this place had a hostel type of environment. The 3rd floor balcony that looks out over the town was essentially a hangout spot to meet and hang out with other travellers, many of whom became quick friends during our brief stays in in San Ignacio.

The rooms were pretty nice and were cleaned meticulously each day. When we came back from a big day at the Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve, our room (which was covered with our filthy clothes and junk) was tidied up for us by the staff. They also did our laundry for us. To go cliche, they really did go 'above-and-beyond' my expectations. Rosa, along with her family and small staff were some of the kindest and most accommodating people we met on our travels.

We originally were only going to hit San Ignacio as a stopping point on the way to and from Tikal, but quickly found that the town and surrounding area offer much more than you could ever expect. Next time I travel there I intend to allocate much more time. We crunched the San Ignacio Hotel Resort Iguana Preserve, the Xunantunich ruins, and then in Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve, 1000 ft falls, Rio Frio Caves and Rio on Pools all in on one day. We did the ATM cave the day after. These two days, despite being 2 of the best I've experienced travelling were totally exhausting. Allot yourself some time for this place and stay with Rosa. She'll take care of you.

The only detractor was the noise. There is a club 2 doors down that plays loud music late. I wouldn't recommend going there, as it was desolate inside. Also on Saturday nights a lot of people in town bring out their loud speakers and crank music. It didn't bother me, but it may bother some.

Still, you can't beat the price or the service at Rosa's. Thank's Rosa!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 4 January 2013 via mobile

San Ignacio isn't much of a tourist destination in itself, since most travellers come for the Mayan ruins/cave tours in the jungle. Rosa's is a great place to stay as it is cheap, in a great location and has a super friendly, helpful staff.

Coming back from humid tours to an air conditioned room with hot showers is great. The rooms aren't much to look at but if you are coming to San Ignacio expecting to spend a lot of time in the hotel, then you might be on the wrong vacation.

• Stayed December 2012
FLINDERS PARK
Reviewed 22 December 2012

We stayed 3 nights at Rosa's and were very happy overall. Rosa helped us a great deal with allowing us to send equipment in advance to the hostel and then her son recommended a very good mechanic to fit some spare parts to our motorcycles.
As well we could park our bikes securely behind a gate and see them :-)
The first night we stayed in the top floor for the view over the town. However a town festival and the club next door disrupted our sleep a bit,so Rosa recommended us to move downstairs. The next nights we stayed one floor down in the back room and found it comfortable and inexpensive.
The breakfast was very nicely set up on the top balcony with fresh fruits, toast and jam.

Room Tip: Take a room away from the nightclub, up the stairs to the left, the rooms to the right were quite da...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 24 November 2012

I stayed two nights at Rosa's. I was impressed overall, but left to find a cheaper option in town. My first night was on the side of the hotel closest to the nightclub Blue Angels. If music disrupts your sleep, don't stay here. The music is so loud that it can thud the room. I can sleep through it though, so I didn't have any problems.

When I got up the next morning, I did appreciate the "real" hot shower (not the electric heaters you see sometimes in Central America) and the breakfast. The meal includes bananas, coffee, tea, toast and oranges. And when I returned later in the day, Rosa made sure that I ate some of the leftover bananas.

Wi-fi works well on the balcony, but don't expect it to work well in the rooms. I was able to get a spotty connection from halfway down the hallway my first night. I was in a different room the second night; the wi-fi didn't work from the room.

My sheets were changed every day, the fan worked, and I always received a new towel. My second day, Rosa made sure I had a TV (although I didn't watch it). She was always inquisitive about whether everything was OK.

Bottom line: You can find cheaper options in town, but if you want to splurge a bit, go for it.

Room Tip: If you want to try and avoid the noise, pick a room on the south side of the hotel. If you want wi-f...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
San Ignacio, Belize
Reviewed 9 November 2012

This place is good if you are on budget or are budget-conscious. They have the basic necessities. The service is good. But if you can't bare the bare essentials, then I recommend you find a more expensive place. But the price...what you get is what you paid for. They are located right next to a night club. The noise does get to you if you want a quiet night's rest. Ask for a room further away form the club.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I didn't get to stay at Rosa's because I arrived in the morning and arranged transportation to go to my final destination. But, the reason I went there is because it was recommended on my final destination's website so I went and visited. It was not far from the bust stop: just one street uphill, one block across and another street downhill.

I had been traveling all night and half of the morning and I needed to use the restroom and needed to eat. They let me use their restroom and let me eat of the free breakfast they put out for their guests. I vouch for the coffee and the fresh fruit.

It's a family business. I was lucky to meet two of her sons and her daughter as well as Rosa herself. She's dedicated and her family extremely helpful. If you have luggage, they will carry it the two flight of stairs for you. I rode with Frank (one of the sons) on his dirt bike to my final destination. That was a lot of fun!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Good location in San Ignacio, right by the shops and restaurants. Staff were really greaty, including the famous Rosa who we met on our last morning. Granted, rooms a bit grotty, but fantastic shower (been on the road for 7 weeks now and it´s up there as one of the best we´ve had).

Only downside - which could be a bit harsh by me - we were heading to Flores from here, told Rosa we planned on getting bus from border to Flores. However she did not inform us of the bus strike on the other side of the border which resulted in a VERY pricey taxi ride on the other side. She may not have known, which could be down to either that information not being available to her, or her not keeping up to date with local traveller news which affects travellers..... Overall though, very happy with service.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple