“Okay but not if you ever plan on sleeping”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Rosa's Hotel

Rosa's Hotel
Winnipeg
“Okay but not if you ever plan on sleeping”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

I knew Rosa's wouldn't be anything fancy when I booked a room with AC there but I was pretty surprised with what I got. Our room looked pretty sketchy with the lighting barely coming on. The bathroom was kinda gross with a filthy toilet, hole with no drain cover in the shower and a showerhead that sprayed every direction but right in front of it (lots of fun trying to get clean in that shower). The noise level was a little louder than I expected but when the ac was on it helped drown things out. Unfortunately due to the power of the ac, I'd frequently have to turn off the ac due to being freezing. Then I'd hear everyone's conversations and movements down the echo-y hallway. We had chosen Rosa's as just a place to hang our hats while we did tons of day trips but due to the unbelievably uncomfortable beds (which caused my back to hurt like crazy the next day), we had to move. I will say thought the staff is very friendly and helpful. For $5 US cheaper than Rosa's, stay in Hotel Mallorca. The staff is just as friendly and you'll get a quiet, clean room with less scary plumbing.

Room Tip: Stay at Hotel Mallorca instead. It's cheaper and way nicer
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Temecula, Ca
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

Rosa's hotel is a good place to stay for a night, maybe 2. It's located in San Ignacio, but RIGHT next to a major nightclub (Blue Angels). So be prepared to hear A LOT of bass, especially on a Friday or Saturday. The rooms are tiny, but do have their own bathroom (at least ours did). We were able to cram 4 of us in one room of 3 beds... a bit cramped but we put up with it.

They are really good about getting back to you about reservations via email, but there's no deposit to put down soooo it's a bit confusing to know if you'll have a room for sure when you check in. They were very accommodating for my requests, however they ended up saving 2 rooms for me (even though there's an email stating I wanted ONLY ONE and they responded back with a confirmation).

The woman I spoke to about this wanted to charge me for 2 rooms and couldn't find the email I last sent, when I had in available to show... but didn't because she didn't charge me for two rooms. She did tack on an extra $10BZD for the 4th person (which is fine, it still was a good rate). I really didn't appreciate her making me feel guilty for not using the other room (that I didn't request for). Oh well... I wouldn't recommend this unless you're on a budget and can sleep through anything.

Room Tip: Probably choose one on the top floor and away from the nightclub for a better sleep.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Durango, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2013

Two of us arrived at Rosa's New Years eve, and were greeted with a warm welcome at the airport by a reserved ride from Rosa. A few hours later we had bank issues resulting in an invalid card, and Rosa so kindly helped us out without any hesitation. She has a beautiful heart, and a wonderful staff to follow. We would most definitely stay at Rosa's again, you can't beat the price, location and fabulous people. Thank you Rosa :)

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

Rosa's was one of the coolest places we stayed during our Central American trip. I am used to staying in hostels and this place had a hostel type of environment. The 3rd floor balcony that looks out over the town was essentially a hangout spot to meet and hang out with other travellers, many of whom became quick friends during our brief stays in in San Ignacio.

The rooms were pretty nice and were cleaned meticulously each day. When we came back from a big day at the Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve, our room (which was covered with our filthy clothes and junk) was tidied up for us by the staff. They also did our laundry for us. To go cliche, they really did go 'above-and-beyond' my expectations. Rosa, along with her family and small staff were some of the kindest and most accommodating people we met on our travels.

We originally were only going to hit San Ignacio as a stopping point on the way to and from Tikal, but quickly found that the town and surrounding area offer much more than you could ever expect. Next time I travel there I intend to allocate much more time. We crunched the San Ignacio Hotel Resort Iguana Preserve, the Xunantunich ruins, and then in Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve, 1000 ft falls, Rio Frio Caves and Rio on Pools all in on one day. We did the ATM cave the day after. These two days, despite being 2 of the best I've experienced travelling were totally exhausting. Allot yourself some time for this place and stay with Rosa. She'll take care of you.

The only detractor was the noise. There is a club 2 doors down that plays loud music late. I wouldn't recommend going there, as it was desolate inside. Also on Saturday nights a lot of people in town bring out their loud speakers and crank music. It didn't bother me, but it may bother some.

Still, you can't beat the price or the service at Rosa's. Thank's Rosa!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013 via mobile

San Ignacio isn't much of a tourist destination in itself, since most travellers come for the Mayan ruins/cave tours in the jungle. Rosa's is a great place to stay as it is cheap, in a great location and has a super friendly, helpful staff.

Coming back from humid tours to an air conditioned room with hot showers is great. The rooms aren't much to look at but if you are coming to San Ignacio expecting to spend a lot of time in the hotel, then you might be on the wrong vacation.

• Stayed December 2012
FLINDERS PARK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2012

We stayed 3 nights at Rosa's and were very happy overall. Rosa helped us a great deal with allowing us to send equipment in advance to the hostel and then her son recommended a very good mechanic to fit some spare parts to our motorcycles.
As well we could park our bikes securely behind a gate and see them :-)
The first night we stayed in the top floor for the view over the town. However a town festival and the club next door disrupted our sleep a bit,so Rosa recommended us to move downstairs. The next nights we stayed one floor down in the back room and found it comfortable and inexpensive.
The breakfast was very nicely set up on the top balcony with fresh fruits, toast and jam.

Room Tip: Take a room away from the nightclub, up the stairs to the left, the rooms to the right were quite da...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Wichita, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2012

I stayed two nights at Rosa's. I was impressed overall, but left to find a cheaper option in town. My first night was on the side of the hotel closest to the nightclub Blue Angels. If music disrupts your sleep, don't stay here. The music is so loud that it can thud the room. I can sleep through it though, so I didn't have any problems.

When I got up the next morning, I did appreciate the "real" hot shower (not the electric heaters you see sometimes in Central America) and the breakfast. The meal includes bananas, coffee, tea, toast and oranges. And when I returned later in the day, Rosa made sure that I ate some of the leftover bananas.

Wi-fi works well on the balcony, but don't expect it to work well in the rooms. I was able to get a spotty connection from halfway down the hallway my first night. I was in a different room the second night; the wi-fi didn't work from the room.

My sheets were changed every day, the fan worked, and I always received a new towel. My second day, Rosa made sure I had a TV (although I didn't watch it). She was always inquisitive about whether everything was OK.

Bottom line: You can find cheaper options in town, but if you want to splurge a bit, go for it.

Room Tip: If you want to try and avoid the noise, pick a room on the south side of the hotel. If you want wi-f...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo