“Clean,good location, but noisy avenue !”
Review of Tropicool Hotel

Tropicool Hotel
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in San Ignacio
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I spent 5 nights in this small hotel as I was looking for an apartment to rent on a monthly basis.
The owner-manager,a British fellow, seems practical and easy to relate to. The day housekeeper is herself quite chatty .
I had a small single bed, with only space left for a table and chair and my 2 suitcases. Clean,airy and bright during the day.
The negatives : sharing the bathroom, washing your underwear in common bathroom prohibited and mostly the loud music coming from a next-door bar, Mr. Greedy`s until 1 a.m.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, go for a cabin with porch at the back !
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 30 January 2013

Charming lady owner and very cheap at USD12
BUT quite noisy from the other guests
I just stayed one night- for longer I would tried another place on Burns I think
I couldnt work out why the tours to caves were so expensive and left a day early for Guatemala

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 January 2013

If you are on a budget then this is the place for you. It is right in the center of town From what I could see it seemed more secure than the other hotels around (consider this place first, the others are right on the road and didn't seem as secure). To enter the hotel you go through a gate and the hotel sits off the main road a few yards. It is very secure, I had no problem leaving my important items in the room. Its a safe area of town.
It is not a high class place, but you are not paying resort prices. It is closer to a hostel. It is very clean, we got fresh towels everyday. We stayed in the triple room, it had a ceiling fan which was about all we needed. Do bring earplugs because it can be a little noisy in the area until around 10pm-midnight. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 January 2013

I was a nervous when I arrived about noise and security. I didn't think i would probably stay for the 6 nights I had planned. My room was a single next to the entrance of the area of shared rooms. But I was not bothered by noise of the street or noise of people coming in and out. There is not any staff there in the late night hours but all was fine while I WiFi is available, but spotty. I stayed there the entire time as planned. The place is clean even the shared bathrooms. I give it a 4 only because the mattress was lumpy and even that hardly kept me from sleeping. I'd stay there again and you should too, great bargain!

Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 January 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights in back cabana with two beds, private shower, fridge and kettle. Fan above bed was great and it was the first good nights sleep i'd had in two weeks travelling. It is located right off the main tourist strip, right near restaurants and tour companies. There was a little bit of noise in the am (vehicles driving by behind the cabana), but we were always up early heading to a tour so it didnt bother us at all. Great value in a great location - clean and safe!!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 5 January 2013

We stayed in a bungalow cabin out the back. The room was clean, tidy and well equipped... Good value for the money we paid and in a great location in the centre of the tourist district. The owners and housekeeper were excellent. There was a large veranda which someone had gone to real trouble sealing off with wire mesh so the bugs had no chance of getting in (no mean feat!). I wish I could give 4 or 5 stars but I can't as there really was no chance of getting any decent sleep. What with the road, the rain, the dripping into the water tank, the birds and the banging ceiling fan, there was little peace at night. All these I can forgive, but to top it off someone (I can only presume the hotel owners) were keeping parrots in the house next to our room! They squawked throughout the day so we couldn't sleep then either. Sorry guys but the parrots tipped the balance.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travellingfoodie123
Reviewed 5 January 2013

the couple running this place are adorable and helpful- the wife gave us personal travel tips to cross the border... the cabin rooms were so clean (rosa the cleaning lady was friendly and so lovely) . rooms had coffee, a coffeemaker, even a fridge! we had many beers and local sorrel wine on the porch. location perfect, smack in the town, a good exercise walk away from cahal pech. great bookstore in the ' mall' across the street. local belizeans really friendly, especially if you speak spanish or are traveling with someone who does. we came during christmas, a great festive mood with local bands on the street... dont miss san ignacio! ps to get to the border you just pay about 5 bz per person. dont take the cabbie lingering by burns asking for 15usd/30bz...

Room Tip: go for the cabins :)
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple