“A most wonderful hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in San Ignacio
Mequon, Wisconsin
“A most wonderful hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2011

My family (husband and two sons, 12 and 13) stayed at Ka'ana for a week in March. I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. It's tiny with only 15 rooms, so it is very private and quiet.

We booked several tours with the hotel and loved them all! ATM amazing. Tikal exhausting, but really fun. (I would suggest packing a lunch from the hotel as the restaurant where we ate was average at best.) The iguana hatchery was fun for the boys as was ziplining and cave tubing. My favorite trip, however, was Xunantunich. Eduardo Sr was our guide. He worked on some of the excavations, so he had first-hand knowledge of the details. I know the tours are expensive through the hotel, but they are private and can be adjusted according to your needs. We had to stop for some sunscreen; since we were the only ones there, it wasn't a problem. Oh, the hotel also arranged to take us to the San Ignacio hotel for breakfast for bird watching. There is a tree just outside the restaurant with tons of birds. We arrived at 7 and stayed for 90 min. Well worth it. We saw a toucan and 6 aracari along with lots of others.

I especially loved the vegetable garden at Ka'ana, which I visited most mornings. If I saw something that looked particularly good, I would ask if the chef would prepare something. Eggplant Parmesan was one such dish. It was just delicious. We ate all of our dinners at the restaurant, so we tried just about everything. The pork chop was our favorite. The chef was also kind enough to prepare some local specialties.

I took the cooking class, which was really preparing my own meal. We started in the garden and picked the ingredients and talk about the menu for the evening. Then back to the kitchen. It was so much fun. It was nice to see how little oil/butter they used when cooking. Unfortunately, having such excellent food the first week of our trip made eating during the rest of the trip difficult because no other restaurant even compared!

I must say the staff makes the hotel. Fallon was more than helpful and a wonderful person. Emerson, George, Candida, and Bart in the restaurant were wonderful.

The casitas are definitely worth the higher fee. Our boys were upgraded for free so they could have separate beds. My husband and I had a small room overlooking the pool. Unfortunately, it was over some office, where workers started at 6 am. I'm a light sleeper, so my days started at 6 am. It was a great time to visit the garden.

This was the perfect hotel for us. We then went to Victoria House for one week. I wish we would have reversed the order.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ianlizarraga, Owner at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this review, 28 August 2011
I know your stay was earlier this year but I still wanted to take some time to say thank you for your very kind words and for sharing your experience in Belize and at Ka'ana. Please know that it was such a pleasure having you and your family with us. From reading your review I can tell that you truly appreciated just how special this region is and that makes all the difference. Take care and best of luck for your future travels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2011

We stayed here for a few days in November 2010, and it was a really good choice.

The staff were extremely helpful, they advised the best Tours we did Tikal and the Caves, they and the Guides were absolutely amazing, and knowledgeable.

The Casita was perfect everything was supplied was perfect.

Would definitely stay again when in Belize.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
ianlizarraga, Owner at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this review, 28 August 2011
Thank you for sharing the highlights of your stay in Belize and at Ka'ana. All the best for your future travels and know that we'd love to have you again if you return to Belize. Take Care!
Placencia, Belize
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2011

We were on a business trip in the Cayo District, Belize and had to stay overnight. We chose Ka'ana as we had heard good things about it. The front desk staff greeted us in a relaxed, friendly and efficient manner and promptly escorted us to our room through beautiful landscaped gardens.

The room was nicely appointed, simple and elegant. The beds were extremely comfortable, with probably the most luxurious pillows ever!!!!!

We didn't have a chance to eat in the restaurant that evening, as we had a previous engagement. We did, however have breakfast and again the staff were friendly and efficient (prices and selection were good too)

Would definitely re-visit and perhaps stay longer.

Thanks Guys

Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
ianlizarraga, Owner at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this review, 12 April 2011
I am glad that, though brief, your Ka'ana experience was a great one. Please come back and see us so that we can expose you to the other aspects of Ka'ana and Western Belize that make it so very authentic, personalized, and unique. Take care, safe travels and see you soon.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2011

This was our base for three days in the area. It was lovely, clean and the staff is very friendly and knowledgable. The rooms are set for the right amount of privacy and each has relaxing outdoor areas. The grounds are beautiful and it is small but it is a boutique hotel. The tours are expensive and best to schedule with another company in the area before hand. We were told about a massage with a shawman and we were really excited but it was just an overpriced massage, she took a phone call and texted during the massage and absolutely no spritual healing which is what we were told to expect. We took a chance on that but everything else was great. Food is pretty good and the chef will alter things as you wish to make you happy. We thought this was a fantastic place to stay for our wants and needs.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Fluffymugsy
ianlizarraga, Owner at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this review, 12 April 2011
I am glad that ultimately you felt that you had a wonderful stay with us. Please allow me however to clarify a couple of things. Firstly, we do not do group tours - our guests generally prefer the ability to personalize their touring experiences while in Belize. Our Tikal tour yesterday for example included a diversion to Lake Peten Itza where the guests were able to watch the local Mayan women washing their clothes in make shift thatched sheds and an old man hand carving his canoe. An experience that the family found to be authentic and humbling. None of this was in their itinerary but was an example of why "veering off the beaten path" is something we allow you to do.
As for Dona Panti, the village Shaman, please realize that while your energy work is important to her, much like a first world doctor, she is literally "on call" and her priority will always be those who live in her villages of Succotz and Benque Viejo. Her people need to know that they can reach her at all times and she takes her responsibilities to them very seriously. Take care. Safe travels...
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2011

My fiancee and I spent several wonderful nights at Ka'Ana.

The staff was incredible - they were friendly, helpfull, cheerfull and they all knew our names.
The bungalow was cute, spacious and clean. I loved the hammock in front.

Ka'Ana was also very accomodating with our reservations. The airline screwed up our travel plans causing us to miss a day, and they were able to add a night at the end of our stay.

We had a great meal at the restaurant - my fiancee had the cedar plank snapper, and claims it was the best fish she's ever eaten.

Thanks Ka'Ana - we had a wonderful time.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
ianlizarraga, Owner at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this review, 12 April 2011
The staff and I are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay here and that you chose to highlight your culinary experience !! Ka'ana takes food and drink very seriously and so do our guests !! :)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2011

My boyfriend and I had the most incredible trip to Belize a few weeks ago. San Ignacio was the highlight of our trip and Ka’ana was a big part of this. The staff was friendly and helpful while giving us space to enjoy ourselves. The rustic grounds were landscaped beautifully and the “casita” very comfortable. We had the inclusive with breakfast and dinner every day. The food was fresh and delicious.

The best part of Ka’ana was the attention to every detail of our stay which we loved (and spoiled us for the rest of our trip.) We arrived and received a fresh blended drink. Every night candles were light outside of our little casita leading us to the dining commons. At dinner new fresh baked bread was served every night. There were also different sides served with the menu depending on what was fresh in the organic garden. We got home to our casita with turndown service and often a little local surprise treat in our fridge. We could not have asked for a more beautiful, relaxing, amazing stay. The quality of service, grounds, culinary experience and attention to detail are amazing!!

Ka’ana will also always hold a special place in our hearts. My boyfriend and I loved it soo much he decided to hold his surprise proposal there (he brought the ring all the way from Los Angeles and was looking for a very special place on our trip). It was a big surprise. The whole staff was in on it too! We didn’t have our camera so they took pics and even created a video to music of the pics of us and the hotel grounds. Again, amazing attention to detail and service. I have no reservations highly recommending Ka’ana to all travelers. Enjoy!!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
ianlizarraga, Owner at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this review, 24 March 2011
First of all, Congratulations to you both! What a special trip this was for you in so many ways. Thank you so much for taking the time to share about your experience in Belize and at Ka'ana. I know the team here was excited to be planning behind the scenes with your fiance and I'm glad we managed to keep it a surprise! All the best to you for your life together!
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2011

This is a really nice and hip place- great location near town, yet secluded. The rooms are all remodeled detached casitas with flat screen TV's, nice bathrooms and great beds. The grounds are well manicured, great restaurant and a nice pool. We spent our fourth night (stayed three nights at Chaa Creek- see my reviews) and was happy to finally take a nice hot shower, be in hip and modern room and get caught up on world news. Overall, three days is plenty in San Ignacio. But, at least from here you can take a $5 cab ride into town (6 miles) and book your activities there, where you will save 40%. Split your time between the jungle and beach (Placencia), otherwise you might run out of things to do in San Ignacio- the town itself does not have much to offer.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
ianlizarraga, Owner at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this review, 24 March 2011
Thank you for your review! Being near town, yet secluded is exactly what we were aiming for and I'm glad you were able to appreciate that. While we only had you for one night it was very much our pleasure hosting you and I hope the remainder of your time in Belize was everything you hoped it would be and more. Thank you again and travel well!
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Ignacio
#1 of 1 in Negroman
San Ignacio Resort Hotel
San Ignacio Resort Hotel
#5 of 14 in San Ignacio

Been to Ka'ana Resort? Share your experiences!