“Peaceful Rain Forest Retreat”
Review of Ka'ana Resort

Ka'ana Resort
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in San Ignacio
Cincinnati, OH
“Peaceful Rain Forest Retreat”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

From the second I stepped foot in Ka'Ana, I immediately felt the serenity of the environment washing away the stresses of everyday life! I was a little hesitant to take a vacation to a location with no beach, but the Sand & Stone package (4 days at Ka'Ana and 4 days at the Victoria House in San Pedro) proved to be the perfect option to get some culture as well as some relaxation time on our trip. There are endless activities to keep you busy there and we ended up running out of time to do everything we wanted to!

Favorite aspects of Ka'Ana:
- Incredibly attentive and kind staff. They would chat with us every day at the restaurant and bar about our daily activities, and made helpful recommendations. The last night when my boyfriend and asked if we could roast marshmallows in the fire pit, our waiter went into the rain forest to find us roasting sticks and brought out a platter with cookies, marshmallows, and chocolate chips - talk about being waited on hand and foot!
- The turn-down service. It was so lovely returning to our room every night to a clean room, closed blinds, lit candles, and a mini-dessert surprise in the refrigerator (sorry to ruin the surprise)!
- I enjoyed the healthy restaurant menu options - the green juice for breakfast is a great way to start an action-packed day!

A few words of advice I would give after having stayed there:
- Be sure to book any special activities that you want to plan a day in advance at least. Since the resort is very small, the front desk will have to call someone to come in to perform services such as massages, yoga classes etc., and the drink-making and cooking classes time slots may fill up.
- If you are going to a second location on your trip, ask about flying from the small airport about 5 minutes away from the resort. It was about the same cost as driving/water taxi and made the whole travelling experience much less cumbersome.

Overall, I wish the staff at Ka'Ana very well as they are truly exceptional! For that, Ka'Ana gets my stamp of approval.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Abigayle C
Joanna E, Manager at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you for your review! We're so happy that you were able to visit Belize and that you chose to do a combination of inland and island. We agree that it's the perfect combination and one of the best ways to experience the country. Your favorite aspects of Ka'ana- the staff, turndown, and cuisine- are some of the areas we've worked hard to define and elevate for our guests. We're thrilled they were your favorite! Thank you again for taking the time to share your kind words and feedback. We're all very grateful and wish you all the best for your future travels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Bluffton, South Carolina
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Yes, this is my first Trip Advisor review... I've often used Trip Advisor for everyone's feedback on places but to be honest this was the first place I have ever visited that was so above and beyond I felt it was time to sign up on Trip Advisor and give back....
Our trip to Belize was planned 8 days before we went (our other plans changed) Thanks to Ka'Ana being a SLH hotel & the many wonderful reviews here on Trip Advisor we booked our trip knowing very little about Belize or the grand vacation we were about to embark on.
Ka'Ana is a must. This experience is a must. I can not think of a specific generation or personality that this Resort would not have something to offer. It is a quaint Resort but it is something that you can tell every employee has pride in, matter of fact, shortly after you check in & get settled you will likely feel this same pride. The staff was amazing. Out of all of our world travels and many wonderful stays- I have NEVER encountered such an accommodating and caring staff. Oscar & Carlita (Carla?) were the best, they made us smile & they made us feel like they personally and genuinely cared for us and our vacation- it seemed so above and beyond just someone's job, yes- that genuine & caring!!
Andee was the best tour guide! Andee was so knowledgeable made us feel so at ease and like his absolute priority! We visited Tikal & went cave tubing. Also the Resort helped me plan a day trip to San Pedro by using Tropic Air. We flew out one morning around 7am and back around 5pm. Ka'Ana even arranged for the tour company we used in San Pedro to meet us at the airport! Once in San Pedro we went fishing, snorkeling, and even went free diving for lobster & conch! And this tour guide even took us to a private beach & cooked all of our "catches". Delish!
Speaking of Delish... At Ka'Ana: both smoothies are a must (my favorite was Papaya & my fiancés the Vanilla) and the Lobster Salad and the Ceviche and the Dukunu. My taste buds say your missing out if you don't try the above!!
This is the perfect atmosphere for everything! We rarely go back somewhere on a vacation because there is SO much to see all over the world & SO little time, however we will most definitely visit Ka'Ana again.
I know I am missing so many wonderful details but we have been back over a week & I promised myself I would sign up & review this wonderful place in hopes that my review (like all of the others below) would motivate someone to book a vacation here and enjoy the many many special things about Ka'Ana & Belize.
Thank you Ka'Ana and thank you OSCAR for a fabulous & memorable experience!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EmBaumhoer
Joanna E, Manager at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thank you so much for making us your first review! We're so grateful you took the time to share about your experience at Ka'ana with others and just thrilled that you thought that it was amazing as it was. We're so very proud of our team at Ka'ana and nothing makes us happier than knowing that your interaction with the team members helped to make your stay memorable. We love all the detail in your review and really can't wait to be able to welcome you back here. Thank you again and behalf of all of us here, we wish you all the best for your future travels!
San Diego, California
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This was our first trip to Belize. We picked the best hotel in Belize. Very intimate setting as there are only 17 rooms. All of the staff were friendly and knew your names. The dining room was excellent. We have a very special Valentine's dinner here.

The grounds are beautiful. This hotel is near the Mayan ruins so trips to do the activities in this area was very convent. It is a long ride from the airport to the resort but well worth the drive!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JoAnn G
Joanna E, Manager at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thank you for your review! We are so appreciative of your high praise of the resort, the food, and the activities you were able to do in this part of the country. It was a treat having you as our guest and we hope that if you make it back to Belize that you'll come and visit us again. In the meantime, we wish you all the best for your future adventures!
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We recently stayed at Ka'ana and had a wonderful experience. The grounds are lovely...very peaceful and very private feeling. We arranged our excursions through the hotel and I’m so happy that we did. There was never a worry – it seemed that anyone who saw you knew WHO you were what room you were staying in and what excursions you had planned and would either give you a heads up on your upcoming activities or would give you a call to remind you of your activities and timeframe. The guides were amazing. Very knowledgeable, personable, and overall excited about sharing their knowledge and culture with you.

The service in the hotel is wonderful and very accommodating. The common areas such as the restaurant and bar are lovely and places where you would mind losing a couple of hours. LOL Whenever we’d arrive at the restaurant for a meal we usually only saw a few other people outside of the staff. The food was very good but my only complaint is that if your there a few days and plan on eating there every day there’s no change in the menu. A little more variety would be better in my opinion but whatever I had I enjoyed.

One of my favorite experiences that Ka’ana arranged for us was a traditional Mayan “cooking class” on the grounds that you participate in when creating traditional Mayan food. It was one of my favorite meals during our stay at Ka’ana and the two wonderful women we met who shared with us their cooking traditions and culture were amazing!

The guest rooms are lovely and full of local culture with the wall and free standing art that makes up the décor and the local bath soaps that they supply are to die for! They’re refreshing and invigorating and my only complaint about that is I should have asked for more to bring home. :-)

Stayed the end of January 2014

1 Thank DeniseOcoLogo
Joanna E, Manager at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thank you for your review! We are so happy to know that you had a wonderful experience here in San Ignacio and at Ka'ana. It was a pleasure having you as our guests and being able to share the adventures of this region as well the accommodations, food, and service of the resort. We love that you enjoyed the Maya cooking class. It's one of our favorite cultural experiences to share. Thank you again for your kind words. We wish you all the best for your future travels and would love to welcome you back to Ka'ana again someday.
Lee's Summit, Missouri
Reviewed 4 February 2014

You can't beat the service at Ka'ana! They knew what we needed before we even asked, anything we wanted was done no questions asked. It was in the middle of the jungle and close to Guatemala. The room was very private and relaxing. We barely noticed that anyone else was staying at the resort. One of the best experiences I have had.

Room Tip: All of the rooms seem like they are in good locations. We had on across from the pool.
Joanna E, Manager at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Thank you so much for your review and very kind words! We're thrilled to know that you felt we anticipated your needs while giving you a personal and private experience when at the resort. The fact that you considered your stay one of the best experiences you've ever had is such high praise! Thank you! On behalf of all of us here at Ka'ana, we wish you all the best for your future travels.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I recently stayed at Ka'ana and had a wonderful time! The airline had delayed my luggage and the hotel was incredible in keeping in touch with airline and making sure I received it that same evening. Tatiana was incredibly gracious in finding me appropriate footwear for my trip to Tikal. The tour guides were incredibly friendly and so knowledgeable. We talked the entire ride about history, culture, politics, very thought provoking conversations! Room service made me a wonderful homemade ginger/lime/honey tea for my throat. My massage was heavenly and the therapist was awesome in walking me to my room (i'm afraid of critters!). Great location, close to town and nearby ruins. The rooms are spacious, clean, and the organic bath products are a delight. The grounds are beautifully maintained. I was transported as I listened to buena vista social club while having my Belizean breakfast! The only thing that would make this place more amazing would be the food. While they had some great tasty items, i wish the food was more consistent. Overall, a wonderful stay, wonderful people!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Joanna E, Manager at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time write a review about your stay in San Ignacio and at Ka'ana. We're happy know that you felt we were accommodating and helpful in light of your husband's delayed luggage. We also think that the tour guides are like walking encyclopedias when it comes to their knowledge and understanding of Belize and the Maya history and culture. You get to learn so much during your adventures!

Thank you also for your feedback on your experience at the restaurant. We truly appreciate it and will continue to refine and elevate the cuisine served here at Ka'ana to ensure that it is consistently great.

On behalf of the entire Ka'ana team, please know that we are so grateful for your kind words and hope to be able to welcome you back to Belize and Ka'ana in the future. All the best for your next adventure!
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 2 February 2014

First of all, I love the service. Everyone is so incredible and friendly here. I have been recommending this place to so many people. The rooms are so nice and the finishing touches they provide upon check in make you feel special. Can't wait to go back!

1 Thank Char V
Joanna E, Manager at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Thank you for your review! We love that you loved us and please know that you were a pleasure to have as our guests. We do hope you can come back to visit us again and are so grateful that you are recommending us and that you took the time to write a review here. On behalf of all of us here at Ka'ana, we wish you all the best on your future adventures!
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Ignacio
#5 of 13 in San Ignacio
Mystic River Resort
Mystic River Resort
#1 of 1 in Negroman

Been to Ka'ana Resort? Share your experiences!