We went here our honeymoon and spent 4.5 days and 5 nights at Ka'ana. I think this was the perfect amount of time to spend there to do all the activities that its location facilitates. We more or less had an all-inclusive package which was nice that we didn't have to think about paying for meals or most of our activities on the trip. We only payed for alcohol and one day trip that we tacked on once we were there. The resort is really nice and peaceful. However, it is not the sort of resort one would choose to spend an entire day lounging at. The pool is great, but small, and there aren't a ton of on-site activities. Ka'ana is ideal for an active person who wants to do various day trips, then come back and relax for a bit by the pool and have a casual but delicious meal and some great cocktails.
Overall, Ka'ana paid a lot of attention to details. From putting little treats in our rooms each night to the flowers carefully arranged on our towels in the bathroom. Our room was fantastic and we had a private outdoor lounging area with an open air shower. The place was well maintained and felt very clean.
The restaurant was delicious and had a perfect ambiance - peaceful and relaxed. The food was great. My only real complaint is that since we ate most of our meals there, the menu is somewhat limited if you are staying longer than a few days. I would recommend the hotel either add some variability to the menu or offer a daily special, or add a few more standard items to the menu. That said, we found just enough variety over 4.5 days (though we loved the shrimp and conche ceviche, so we ordered that several times). That staff was also incredibly friendly and treated us very well.
We did 4 adventures, two sets of Mayan ruins (Tikal and Xunantunich) and two caving expeditions (A.T.M. and cave tubing/ziplining). Tikal was our longest day but offered a truly unique experience. It is harder to get to than some other large ruin sites like Chichen Itza, which keeps it slightly less croweded with tourist. The next day we went to Xunantunish and I'm glad we took Ka'ana's advice to go early. We were the first people there which was fantastic, giving us a chance to take unadulterated pictures and see the grounds peacefully. I expected the cave tubing/ziplining to be a bit gimmicky, but it was not. The ziplining is standard if you have ever done it before, but the cave tubing really was neat. Again we got an early start and got to see areas of the caves without a lot of tourists. Lastly, A.T.M. is a exciting cave hike with interspersed short swims. You get to see some pretty amazing rock formations as well as 1200-year old Mayan artifacts and skeletons. For these expeditions, we either had a guide provided by Ka'ana or the resort subcontracted to outside tour guides. Overall, we were pleased with our guides. They were friendly and knowledgable.
My only real knock is that the trip was somewhat pricey for the experience. For example, including tip, our day trip to A.T.M. cost us nearly $600 for two people on a ~6.5 hour trip. I would have thought this was expensive in the U.S., let alone a country that should be cheaper. For this price, we basically had one (great) guide and the hour-long transportation each way by car. Other trips appear to be relatively expensive as well, though the rest of our trips were included in our package, whereas we paid for A.T.M. as an add on.
In summary, Ka'ana was a fantastic experience that facilitated seeming the Mayan ruins and cave networks. The food was great, the staff was friendly, and the resort was well-manicured and serene. At the end of the day, I think the experience was ~20-25% too expensive, but we will still walk away with wonderful memories.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ka'ana Resort is Belize's first Small Luxury Hotel of the World. True to its Mayan name 'Ka'ana' meaning, 'heavenly place,' this delightful resort, set in tropical gardens, offers exceptional accommodation in charming cottages with fine dining, superb service and easy access to ancient Mayan sites and numerous thrilling activities. Enjoy the best of Belize - its people, its food, and its attractions at a world class resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Ka'ana Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ka`Ana Boutique Hotel San Ignacio
- Hotel Ka Ana Boutique
- Ka'Ana Resort Belize/San Ignacio