“An unbelievable stay...can't wait to go back!”
Review of Ka'ana Resort

Ka'ana Resort
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in San Ignacio
Medway, Massachusetts
“An unbelievable stay...can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed 7 May 2010

My husband and I started our honeymoon at the Ka'ana resort and ended our trip at the Victoria in San Pedro. We had an incredible time. We were picked up at the airport by a member of the Ka'ana staff (I can't remember his name now, but he was great!) On the ride, he gave us tons of information about Belize, the culture, its people. We were blown away when we saw the room. Belize isn't really a place where you see luxury resorts, but the casita here is great. Comfy bed, flat screen TV, clean spa-like bathroom. There are a lot of bugs and mosquitoes love me. So we did have to load up on the heavy duty bug repellent whenever we ventured out on day trips. On your first night, they invite you into the small but cozy wine cellar which was nice. We took several day trips which were amazing. We went to Tikal in Guatemala to see the Mayan temples. On the way there we did the zip lines right on the border between Belize and Guatemala. So much fun! We also were asked if we minded sharing our trip with another couple. We didn't at all and they gave us a nice discount for it which we weren't expecting. We also went cave tubing which was amazing!

Last but certainly not least, the FOOD! My husband and I consider ourselves to be somewhat of foodies. The new chef for the resort had not been there long. When we were in the wine cellar, we mentioned to the staff that my husband used to be a chef. When we sat down for our first meal, the chef came out and introduced himself. He asked if we would be willing to try out some new things he was working on. We told him he could serve us whatever he wanted every night. Best decision EVER! The food was a wonderful combination of authentic Belizean cuisine with a fine dining twist. He made us something different every night and would come out and get our feedback. (Which was always a rave.)

You can't go wrong coming to Ka'ana. It is expensive, but well worth it!

I almost forgot, they also have you plant a tree on the grounds before you leave as a way of absorbing your carbon footprint. Loved that.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank maccoombs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 28 April 2010

Ka'ana is a small boutique resort catering to those seeking tranquility, relaxation, unparalled service, and the opportunity for adventure, if one chooses.

One thing we learned immediately is Ka'ana prides itself in personal attention. They do their homework BEFORE you arrive. You're greeted by name and the staff does everything possible to personalize your experience while you're their guest.

While there, we were blessed to have "Wilbert" as our dedicated guide. He picked us up, escorted us on excursions (cave tubing, zip lining, Mayan ruin tour), taught us the history of the local area and Belize in general, and in the end, returned us to the airport. He even took the time to take us into Belize's Mennonite country for fresh ice cream!

Wilbert is but one example of a well-trained and proud staff that does the little things to transform a hotel stay into a unique experience. They're the Ritz of Belize - "Ladies and Gentlemen serving Ladies and Gentlemen."

I can't recommend Ka'ana enough and look forward to "Chillaxing" there again soon!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
St. Louis, MO USA
Reviewed 14 April 2010

We thoroughly enjoyed our three night stay here. We were traveling with two children (11&8) and found it to be a convenient sport for our various planned activities (Butterfly farm, ATM Tour and Tikal). We did not expect it to be so luxurious. It is truly a gem and the food and service are wonderful. I actually came away wishing that we'd planned more down time at Ka'ana. We did not even swim in the pool!

Management arranged our transportation from the airport and we stopped at the Belize Zoo on the way. The kids really enjoyed feeding the Macaws and seeing the Jaguar up close. The zoo is a bit rustic, but a convenient and inexpensive detour during a long travel day. On our last day, we stopped at Jaguar Paw for ziplining and cave tubing, which the kids also enjoyed.

PS: Excursions to ATM & Tikal were spectacular.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed 4 April 2010

I have so many good things to say about Ka'ana:
1. It's a very peaceful serene place to stay. The casitas are clean, well stocked, and the beds are very comfortable.
2. It has a cool 'boutique-y' look and vibe to it. Not something you would expect to find in Belize. The pool is quiet and relaxing.
3. Although the restaurant doesn't have a hustle-bustle energy, don't let that fool you- dinners here are FABULOUS. Chef Kuylen picks fresh ingredients for his meals from the organic garden on-site. He creates his daily menus as he walks through his garden, to see what interesting Belizean dishes come to mind. They offer a cooking class (ask about it when you book your room) and I HIGHLY recommend that you schedule one.
I had a wonderful time walking through the garden to pick ingredients Chef was going to help me learn to prepare..It was the highlight of our stay here.
They also have a nice wine cellar on site.
4.The ruins of Xunatunich are just a few minutes from the hotel, and are SPECTACULAR. I was in awe, and learned a lot from our private guide (it was totally worth it to hire a guide just for the 2 of us- we were able to ask questions and see exactly what interested us). You will LOVE this adventure- don't miss it!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
new york
Reviewed 28 March 2010

PERFECTION!! My critical family of four enjoyed three nights at this beautiful Belizean oasis in the heart of Cayo district. I rarely write reviews and our family has traveled a lot.
Ka’ana deserved a few moments of my time. Our rooms were elegant, clean, large and very comfortable. This boutique hotel is quiet and has plenty of room to stroll. The staff could not be nicer. With so many sites to see in the Cayo area, I asked Ka’ana to book my tours which they did with perfection. Every driver and guide could not have been nicer. This type “A” traveler could not be happier. The head chef Sean spent time talking and showing us the garden where he gets their fresh vegetables. Besides a wonderful menu, we asked him to cook us Iguana which he gets a million stars for! We also had two starters of Chicken feet and pigtail soup. My daughter is a cook and her Mom has worked on well known cooking shows. Sean's creation was perfection and we all got an education. We are unsure what was better, seeing the majesty of Tikal, or our stay and dining experience at Ka’ana. If you are a culinary addict like us, book this place, and try and spend some time with Sean.
I also liked their special drinks at the spacious bar. I enjoyed tasting a lovely Belizean wine in their wine cellar. My stroll and birding through their garden and open field. Other pleasant guests to chat with.
I thank this resort for creating a trip my very critical family will not forget.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Virginia
Reviewed 25 March 2010

Expensive but very nice. Lovely pool, surprisingly good food -- though slow service. Attentive staff. They were very kind and helpful in terms of arranging things for our children.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 23 March 2010

This was a fabulous place to stay. My husband and felt we were the only guest there, from our little Casita to the service in the restaurant! Everyone there was so nice and REAL! So happy we chose this place for our honeymoon!!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
#5 of 13 in San Ignacio
Mystic River Resort
Mystic River Resort
#1 of 1 in Negroman

Been to Ka'ana Resort? Share your experiences!