“Ka'ana: Anything and everything you need... and more!”
Review of Ka'ana Resort

Ka'ana Resort
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in San Ignacio
Reviewed 25 December 2010

My new bride and I went to Belize on our honeymoon. We just got back home and already we're feeling "home-away-from-home" sick. To say that Ka'ana met every expectation would be a sincere understatement. They exceeded every expectation we had and we were pleasantly surprised with the level of professionalism, kindness, and welcomeness every member of their staff exuded. We were made to feel like rockstars with how much they were willing to do for us. Having never visited this beautiful country before, we were never made to feel like any of our questions were stupid. The staff was beyond helpful with their honest answers and recommendations for things to do and places to see. The rooms were gorgeous and clean! The restaurant fed us like royalty. The grounds were kept up and tended to daily. Any activity that we chose to do, Ka'ana arranged for transportation to and from which was a great help. Every driver/guide we had was courteous and very knowledgeable of Belize. We were never made to feel like tourists, even though we technically were, but rather guests in someone's home. They even went above and beyond and dealt with the airlines when my wife's luggage went MIA for 36 hours. They did all the grunt work for us and even called to give us updates on the status of the missing luggage so we could just chill in the meantime. We would highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a quiet getaway. Ka'ana is small (only 15 rooms) which is nice because you never want to feel like you're on top of other guests while trying to relax and be in peace. This place is the epitome of tranquility. Not to sound like a commercial, but if you're looking for a place to stay while in Belize... treat yourself to Ka'ana. You will not regret it.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 December 2010

The Ka'ana is a bit outside St. Ignacio, but ideally situated in a quiet and peaceful area on the road from St. Ignacio to the border with Guatemala (and the road to Tikal). The service was impeccable, the rooms were well furnished, and the grounds were lush and beautiful (with a beautiful swimming pool). We asked the hotel to arrange a car and guide for a day-trip to Tikal and the arrangements were not only perfect, but reasonably priced as well. I have no complaints about this resort and highly recommend it. Finally, we went just before their high season and the room prices were extremely reasonable.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank SusaDogue
Reviewed 10 December 2010

We had an awesome experience at this resort. All this talk these days about Experiential Travel, Kaana truly provided us with the ideal platform for experiencing all that Western Belize has to offer. We got involved in all types of adventure activities - from crawling on our bellies over ancient artifacts and human sacrifices while descending down 500 feet into the Crystal Caves to the day trip into Guatemala to visiting the ancient city of Tikal all the time learning about the Mayan civilization through our excellent guides Edward and Wilbert. The knowledge and passion these guys have for their country is incredible.

The resort itself provided the perfect luxury haven after the adventure we enjoyed so much. But we also relaxed and wiled away many hours enjoying the company of all the staff along with the incredible culinary experience that truly topped off an amazing vacation. We could actually taste the fact that the arugula had just been picked from the on-site organic garden!

Overall I would have to recommend this resort to anyone thinking about traveling to belize. It's great to see that resorts in the Americas are finally catching up to the levels of quality and service that Asia has become so well known for!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 December 2010

My Girlfriend and I spent our Thanksgiving vacation at Ka'ana Belize and it was amazing. The rooms are modern, spotless and so comfortable. The staff was so friendly and inviting, they literally became an essential part of our adventure. They helped us plan our vacation and made sure we took advantage of the country and all of its glory. The restaurant is 5 stars and is fairly priced. I have traveld to major resorts all of the world and I try never to eat at the hotel because its always a rip off. This is definitely not the case at Kaana. The fresh arugala and Mennonite sausage are must! They even have their own garden and EVERYTHING is fresh and organic.

Belize is a beautiful country that has so much to offer both for adventures and travelers who want to relax and have fun. Its untouched and full of genuine/friendly people.

If you do get a chance to visit, Kaana is located in a perfect spot to see all the highlights. I recommend the following attractions:

ATM (Mayan Cave Adventure)
Tikal (Guatemala Day Trip)
Cave Tubbing (Relaxing/Beautiful/Fun)

Kaana is a forward thinking/ground breaking establishment that is on to something special. Their resort and ideology is the future of boutique and luxury travel.
Cant wait to go back and I cant thank Kaana enough for an unforgettable stay.

Reviewed 30 November 2010

When we arrived at Ka'ana that afternoon, we were greeted at the front desk and within minutes served a refreshing 'Welcome Drink' - just what we needed on a hot afternoon. The 'Casita' that we stayed in was beautiful - hammock on the front balcony, yoga mats on the back balcony, and fresh tropical flowers in the room. The staff there were so friendly. We had a great lunch and enjoyed 'sweet corn coladas' on the balcony bar - a must have when you are there! We loved the whole experience - the property is well kept, gardens well groomed, rooms beautiful and just a great get away which is well located for day trips to go zip lining, cave tubing, etc. We are definitely going back again next year and bringing some friends with us...

Reviewed 27 November 2010

Pros:

The staff is very plesant :Eduardo (tour guide/driver) is very well-educated about the history of the Mayans and knows the ins and outs of Belize and San Ignacio.
Candida was very helpful in providing information on things to do around town - like visiting Guatemala, which is just a short cab ride away, or going to the Saturday market in San Ignacio.

The food is simple, fresh and delicious. A special bonus is the organic garden located on the property. I highly recommend the fruit plate and banana pancakes.

The rooms were clean and the grounds of the hotel are well-maintained.

Cons:

There's not a lot going on around the resort within walking distance and the pool is a bit small. Entire country black-outs are not rare.

The toliet in my room (Laka #12) was broken, they sent someone in to fix it but the fix only lasted a few hours. In my opinion, this functionality should have been checked prior to my arrival.

American Airlines cancelations and delays made me lose one day/night of my trip and the hotel was unable/unwilling to refund the difference. To compensate they adjusted by comping my two breakfasts and one lunch, but this is not the type of compensation one equates with a "luxury" resort.

Although management promises car transfers in a vehical that is, "air-conditioned and American standard", it wasn't worth the $150 each way two and from the airport with an exceptionally high tax. In the end, the transfer alone runs about $371.25 for a van. This does not include a tip (I tipped between $15 and $20.)

Overall: This wasn't a luxury resort by world standards and they nickle and dime every cent with high taxes and fees. It's a fine place to stay if you happen to be in Belize, but I wouldn't make a special trip as it isn't worth the current going rate.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank elforeman
Reviewed 9 November 2010

I have been thinking about how I would like to put this AMAZING trip into words and nothing seems to do it justice. Not even pictures come close. As soon as we were picked up at the airport by Jose we knew we were in for a treat. On the journey to the resort Jose was very informative about the areas we were passing and about different tours we could do. We talked the whole way there and as were pulled up to Ka'ana we knew we were in for a treat. We had a very warm welcoming by the staff with welcome drinks and were whisked away to our rooms (which to our delight were very cool thanks to the a.c.). They were rustic yet beautiful- everything we hoped for. Aurora, one of the managers, was very helpful in getting us settled in and giving us our orientation of the area in the wine cellar.
We had an amazing dinner each night and every night the hotel staff would come by and go over the possibilities for tours the next day. We had some trouble with rain so things had to be rearranged from our original plan but of course, the staff was so effective in accomadating us that it was never a bother to our fun! The tour guides they set us up with were amazing. Francisco and Rudy took us to Xunantunich and Rudy was beyond amazing- his knowledge must be unending because everything we asked him he knew-what a way to experience Belize! The next day Emile was out guide to ATM-a must!- and he is amazing as well, very up for adventure and so were we so it was a perfect match. The last day we had Wilbert who took us cave tubing and zip lining. He basically said I am yours for the day and lets make it a great day- and he did!
The food was amazing- they even set up a table on the front porch under the stars for us on our last day, very memorable. The staff knew all of our names and always greeted us by name.
Bottom line- they made this trip special for us. They put us with amazing guides for our tours, they made us feel like family and made us feel like we had come home, so much so, that as we were leaving Aurora stood at the front door and waved us off and I teared up (cheesy I know but I couldn't help it). I felt like I was leaving a family reunion of some sorts. I hope someday I will be able to go back, sooner than later.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Ignacio
3 mi away
Mystic River Resort
Mystic River Resort
#1 of 1 in Negroman

Been to Ka'ana Resort? Share your experiences!