“Beautiful escape”

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in San Ignacio
New York City, New York
“Beautiful escape”
Reviewed 11 March 2011

We spent four nights at Ka'ana last month and it was everything I hoped it would be. The staff was incredibly attentive and eager to do anything to make the stay more enjoyable. The grounds are small but lush, beautiful and private. There is a small pool that is perfect for cooling off after a long day hiking the caves or ruins. The rooms were nice. Well-appointed and with private porch and deck. Turn-down service is a nice touch. The restaurant was excellent but a bit overpriced. The hotel staff really outdid themselves when they discovered that we had left a bag in the lobby after checkout- before we had even called they sent a driver with it to meet us at the airport (1.5 hours away). I would definitely stay at Ka'ana again if ever back in San Ignacio.

ianlizarraga, Owner at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this review, 16 March 2011
Thank you for sharing the highlights of your time in Belize and your experiences at Ka'ana! I'm thrilled you thought of us a beautiful escape and even more pleased that we were able to impress you with the level of service and attention to detail we strive to offer to all visitors to Belize. Thank you again and all the best for your future travels!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 10 March 2011

This is where my husband took me on our honeymoon and it was fantastic. My husband had met previously with Patricia from guest services and Ian and Ronin the owners and they did a fabulous job in making this a romantic and perfect honeymoon. Upon our arrival, the staff came out from behind the desk to greet us by name and offer us refreshing drinks. Our own private bungalow was spotlessly clean, beautiful and tastefully decorated. We were even provided a complimentary bottle of wine as a honeymoon gift and a lovely handwritten note! That note is going into my wedding album! The grounds were lovely and I could view them through the french doors or swinging from my hammock on the front porch. The restaurant had delicious food with impeccable service. I am still missing the cedar plank salmon! The bar was cozy and beautiful and the drinks delicious. We will definitely return to Ka'ana!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
ianlizarraga, Owner at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this review, 16 March 2011
Thanks so much for taking the time to write about your time in Belize and at Ka'ana! It was definitely our treat having you with us and being able to work with your new husband to ensure that your honeymoon exceeded your expectations. congratulations again and all the best for your life together and your future travels!
Antioch, Tennessee
Reviewed 3 March 2011

My wife and I stayed at Ka'ana for a few nights late in December 2010, and I must say that it was truly an experience that hugely shocked us. To say that their service makes you feel like absolute celebrity would still be quite the understatement.
After being walked to our own casita completely empty handed of our luggage, we were met at our room with a welcome beverage that was quite refreshing. Then we walked inside and saw what was all ours... The biggest smiles came across both our faces.
It was extremely clean and well designed. The back doors opened up to what seemed to be our own little back yard of forest. My wife kept telling me about the soaps in the shower, hand made right there in the city of San Ignacio.
A fully stocked fridge with both snacks and drinks made you feel that you could really stay right in that casita and have a tremendous time right there. That leads me to what awaited us outside.

We took a walk around the grounds of the resort and quickly found that this place was designed around nature, around the trees and the natural landscapes that exists there. And what an awesome job they did to integrate luxury with everything natural.
Dinner time came around and the dining experience was completely divine. With a wide array of choices of many local dishes and other more familiar meals, it's easy to forget that we were at still in the jungle.

My wife and I went on one f their many tours... ATM - It's spelunking an underground cave system. This was really great. The adventure started with the drive there, from driving through orange groves, through rivers, across very rocky roads, to walking alongside rivers, through the jungles and even in the rivers. Our extremely informative guide made the tour very easy to follow and remember what we experienced.

The bottom line is that we weren't disappointed at all. Instead we felt that it was time well spent, and being around such nice people, generously nice people was a breathe of fresh air for us both.

Totally recommending Ka'ana, and cant' wait to revisit.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
ianlizarraga, Owner at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this review, 8 March 2011
I'm very happy that your stay surpassed your expectations. Thank you so much for your kind words and detailed review of your time with us at the resort as well as exploring what is by far one of the most incredible touring experiences this region has to offer. The pleasure was indeed all ours. All the best for your future travels and of course we'd love to have you again!
High Point, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 March 2011

This entire trip was a gift for my 40th birthday from my husband. When he told me Belize I thought, Great! Sitting by the water sipping a ice cold drink, snorkeling or scuba diving in at midday. Carribean nightlife in the evenings. Was I ever mistaken. He actually planned our entire Belizean adventure in the interior of the country. I had no idea what to expect.

So you can imagine my surprise when we entered the lush rainforest and passed by ancient Mayan ruins enroute to Ka'ana.

Our resort driver, Mario, cheerfully greeted us at the airport cold beverages in hand. When we joked we needed a cold beer and lunch he said we can do that, without hesitation. He inquired as to what our food preferences were and we thought, oh he's going to call ahead to the resort. No at all. He took us to exactly what we requested, a true Belizean eatery in the country with, you guessed it cold beer. It was immediately apparent that he was much more than your typical driver. He took time get to know us and what we hoped to get out of our time in Belize. He offered us tons of interesting information about the country, it's people, produts, passions, you name it. Only when we asked did he tell us what we could expect from Ka'ana and you could hear the pride in his voice at being part of such a great place. He left us in the hands of the very welcoming front desk staff who brought us each a frozen lime ginger drink that we immediately wanted the recipe for.

Upon arrival we were both awestruck at how private and breathtaking the property was. Even though there are several casitas, the layout makes it easy to feel you are the only guests in the resort. Our room was perfect. No detail to small from fresh flowers to a bottle of wine on our table. The biggest decision we had to make was to sit out back on the patio chairs or enjoy the hammock on our front porch.

Of course we were directly across from the infinity pool so we opted for choice number three. Once we were settled in to our comfy chaise lounges, the bartender asked if we needed anything at all. I didn't say but certainly thought, how could we want for anything because you have anticipated every possibility already.

The entire stay from our excursions both tubing and boating through caves, ziplining through the rainforest canopy, and last but not least, visiting ancient Mayan ruins, were nothing short of amazing. We fell in love with this region of Belize in no small part because of everything Ka'ana did to be sure every part of our trip was tailored to our desires. The staff even set up the bar so we could watch the superbowl and nosh on local snacks.

We were extremely impressed with the dining options and found wine selection surprisingly varied. We had a private dining experience by the pool one evening and while the food was nothing short of exceptional the ambience was unparelled.

I had to really think to come up with something I was less than thrilled with. We considered taking advantage of additional spa options, besides the massages we had previoulsy booked, but because this place is so tiny and in such a rural area, spa services while available really need to be planned out in advance. I would certainly not fault Ka'ana for this. I imagine running a full service spa, full time would require drawing from other sources besides their immediate guests to keep a staff on hand that meets the high standards you see throughout the resort.

I would name names of specific members of the Ka'ana family that went above and beyond our expectations but I would have to list all 41 or so currently on staff.

We cannot recommend this resort highly enough.

1 Thank NCmommaof3
ianlizarraga, Owner at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this review, 8 March 2011
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I am absolutely honored that you chose to visit us and am so very grateful for your detailed review of your time here. You've highlighted exactly the elements of a Belize and Ka'ana vacation that we strive to offer to visitors- cuisine, amenities, incredible tours, and personalized service. Nothing makes me happier than knowing we were able to communicate this effectively to our guests. Thank you again for your kind words and all the best for your future travels!
Belmopan, Belize
Reviewed 28 February 2011

Strolling down a candlelit path beneath Kaana’s breathtaking flora we come to a private table for two with the pool’s waterfall and Jamie’s guitar and lovely voice rendering love songs in the background. Charlie, our waiter for the evening, guides us through a five course meal, a masterful creation by Kaana’s chefs with rich flavors bursting at every bite. The highlight for me is the desert where the staff helped to place our engagement ring within a rose in the desert dish. I get down on one knee and she says Yes! We spend the rest of our luxurious overnight stay enjoying Kaana’s exceptional hospitality.
Thank you Patricia and the staff of Kaana for the thoughtful and perfect preparations. You made our special occasion truly memorable!
Daniel and Tamara

ianlizarraga, Owner at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this review, 8 March 2011
Congratulations Daniel and Tamara! Thank you for sharing such a special evening with us. I'm delighted you were able to experience the intimate setting of Ka'ana and even more happy that she said yes! All the best for your life together....
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 26 February 2011

I wonder how one can write a "raving" review, and I will try here, for I had high expectation before I went to Ka'Ana, and she completely exceeded mine.

Location and Resort Premise - The resort is located few miles outside of San Ignacio. The owner bought the resort which sits in a wooded area, and completely renovated it few years ago. The rooms are clean and lovely. I truly enjoy the peace and serenity of the area. It may not have the convenience of those located near town, however, a taxi ride from Ka'Ana to town center is only 10BZ (US5). And, very often, the resort would give you a ride into town if the shuttle is available. Besides, San Ignacio becomes pretty quiet after 9pm, so really no reason to stay so close to town. The ground of the resort is beautiful. It has an edgeless swimming pool.

Food - We had a breakfast on our patio, and a dinner by the fire-pit in the restaurant. The food is delicious, and pricing is fair. They have their own organic garden growing the vegetable used in the restaurant. I came across several postings about how wines are overpriced at the resort. I do not find them outrageously expensive. Belize has high tax on alcohol. We did go to the local supermarkets and see what kind of mark-ups the resort charges :p and it is way less than how much we pay in Chicago restaurants!!!!

Service - Upon arrival, the resort manager, Juliette, gave us a short orientation of the resort with wine tasting. Juliette is absolutely wonderful. She is always ready to help, and extremely accomodating to make sure our stay was enjoyable. I don't think I could have asked for anything that they would say "no" to. On our first morning, we had a tight schedule to get an early start to cross the border to Guatemala. The restaurant offers to have breakfasts delivered to our room. But, we didn't want to eat inside the room. Even before the opening hour of the restaurant, they started setting up a table on our patio, right on time, everything was set - our protein drinks, coffee, hot-steamy breakfasts sitting in our little garden. The last evening, we really want to have dinner in one of the dining area by the fire-pit, but there was no table which can accomodate us. The staff at the restaurant went to another dining room, moved a table next to the fire-pit, and lit the fire, for us. Good services stop at check-out, but definitely not at Ka'Ana. We went caving after we checked out, and return to retrieve our luggage afterward. We had to go on a 2.5-hour ride to the north, and really wanted to rinse the mud/salt off our feet. Juliette offered a clean *ROOM* for us to take showers and change clothes before the continuation of our journey.
I don't take good services for granted, and I think Ka'Ana deserves big big big kudos!!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
ianlizarraga, Owner at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this review, 5 March 2011
Thank you so much for such high praise! You are very kind! I'm very happy that you experienced our attention to detail and were exposed to the great service we strive to offer here in Belize. You were a pleasure to host and I wish you all the best for your future travels!
Santa Clara, CA
Reviewed 10 February 2011

My husband and I stayed here at Ka'ana for the second week of our honeymoon, and the stay was absolutely the best stay we've ever had anywhere.

There are many impressive aspects to Ka'ana, but the most supreme would be the staff. Sincerely helpful, they really do make it so unique and special. When my husband arrived at the airstrip in Belmopan, one of the owners Ian picked us up and ushered us out to Ka'ana. He's very personable, professional, and a genuinely nice man. He even saw us in Santa Elena and saved us a taxi back to Ka'ana and when we out to the pool, he sent us a complimentary pitcher of their Sweetcorn Colada! (The Sweetcorn Colada is definitely worth the trip to Belize.)

In addition to Ian, there were several very gracious ladies who helped us on the trip, and I'm so angry at myself for forgetting their names. I'd gotten a heat rash and several nasty mosquito bites, and they happened to have an RN on staff who could take a look at it and help me out with it. Another of the ladies suggested a horseback ride for one of our daytrips that took us over a river and an unexcavated mayan ruin, and it ended up being our favorite activity of the entire honeymoon. (And I think it was also she who developed the idea for the Sweetcorn Colada. Trust me, when you try one, you'll understand why I'm obsessed.) In essence, the staff is very accommodating. I'd wanted to get a brown sugar body scrub that I'd seen on their website months previous but they no longer offered it, and their spa staff contacted me right away to recommend other treatments.

Our room was excellent - Room 8. It was such a comfortable room, air conditioning, turndown service with a midnight snack, excellent television stations, candles and matches, a fully stocked and affordable mini bar, and my favorite with the room was the custom soaps. I particularly liked the cinnamon one. One of the benefits of the resort being smaller is that they knew where we were the entire time. If we were at the pool or at dinner or at lunch, they would know when to do turndown service or when to clean.

The restuarant was very good, and they deliver to your room and the pool. The banana smoothie and parfait are excellent for breakfast, shrimp chorizo for lunch, and for dinner, they make a different bread accompaniment every night, and it's absolutely delicious. The restaurant staff always remember your name, and they call you Mr. or Ms. (Yup, my husband loved being called Mr. David the entire week)

The other guests at the resort were very sweet people. There were other Americans and Europeans there, and they were all very laid back, very friendly. And even the gentleman who took us horsebackriding remarked that all the clients from Ka'ana were always very nice people.

It's a beautiful place, it's air-conditioned, and the people are friendly. What more could you want?

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
ianlizarraga, Owner at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this review, 14 February 2011
Thank you so much for such a thorough and heartfelt review! I'm thrilled I got to meet the two of you as well as spend as much time with you as i did. It was a treat for me to see you two enjoying Belize and Ka'ana and becoming immersed in the culture and region that you were in. I'm very grateful that you chose to share your experience with the readers here. All the best to you both and Happy Travels for the future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Ignacio
#5 of 13 in San Ignacio
Mystic River Resort
Mystic River Resort
#1 of 1 in Negroman

Been to Ka'ana Resort? Share your experiences!