“Absolutely the best stop when traveling between Mexico and Belize”

The Sea Breeze Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Corozal Town
Reviewed 21 December 2011

We stayed at the Sea Breeze on our way south. Simple, inexpensive and made us feel like we were at home. Gwyn really knows Belize. He and Sandra both cooked amazing breakfasts each morning and Gwyn went out of his way to help guests navigate their way through Belize. He is an amazing source for all travelers; helped us to explore dockage for our vessel, assisted hikers to locate best routes, assisted us with travel options, etc. For a very reasonable price you can get an air conditioned room that overlooks the Bay, with cable TV and private bath. Mattresses are a little firm (most are throughout Central America). We liked it so much that we stayed on our return trip to Mexico. Thanks for everything Gwyn!

Room Tip: The room overlooking the Bay is fantastic! Book ahead of time!!!Also, please be considerate of Sandr...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank kshawn
There are newer reviews for The Sea Breeze Hotel

Reviewed 21 November 2011

Only stayed one night but it was a good pitstop. Believe the hype, Gwyn knows everything.

Room Tip: We had the cheapest room ground floor to the right as you walk in and that night it was very loud, I...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2011

As almost everyone else I found this hotel on trip advisor. I came into town at sunset and although I knew there was not much in town to entertain me I booked in for another night. The hotel is a simple place with about 7 rooms. My room had two beds (one queen the other twin) and a private bathroom for 40 Bz. The wifi does work well but not in the room so i had to hang out in the lobby areas. There is a kitchen downstairs that I didn't use but I saw two refrigerators, one of which had guest label on it. The bar upstairs is the perfect place to watch the sun set and have a beer. The owner, Gwyn, is indeed a personality. I found he very useful for information in the area and would help in any way. I did get my laundry done here. It was 1bz per pound and they use softener so they are really nice. there is a cat and dog that lives there although they never enter your rooms. They were both strays that the owner took in and are lovely. It's definitely the place to stay in town.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank 07Boston
Reviewed 10 November 2011

We visited The Sea Breeze Hotel on a brief trip into Belize from Mexico to renew our Mexican visas. We found the hotel online and read the reviews on TA, therefore what we found on our arrival was more or less as we expected, other than Gwynn proved to be the 'heart & soul' that makes this little place a real Belizian charm!

We called Gwynn beforehand to reserve our room and asked his advice about travelling into Belize for the purpose of our visa renewal. He was very knowledgeable and the directions and information which we downloaded form his web site was absolutely spot-on!

The Sea Breeze is as described a "budget" hotel, but is extremely clean and you have everything you need - you get a towel and a bar of soap. If you like luxury this may not be for you. We did have a TV in our room but did not use it, and we had a room with A/C. The shower had superb pressure and very hot water, and it proved to be one of the best showers I had experienced for some time! Gywnn is very hospitable, if not a character who does not suffer fools gladly, and I have to say I found his down-to-earth, direct 'say it as it is' persona a refreshing change!! He is a font of information about Belize and travelling in general, and has many entertaining stories to tell. As other reviewers have commented - the bar upstairs is just the coolest place to hang out in an evening - and we met a wonderful assortment of people, both local expats and other travellers. A place of lively discussion and wonderfully cold Belikin beer and Belizian rum!

The fresh coffee in the morning was just what was needed and we had breakfast cooked by Sandra - the first time I had had poached eggs cooked for me in ages, and I was delighted to see Marmite on the table (can you belize it?)

On the morning we were ready to leave, Gywnn offered to take us to the bus station, and then went so far as to drive us to the border.

I would recommend anyone to stay at The Sea Breeze, and would certainly not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Just got back from staying in this hotel. Fantastic hotel staff and owner. Gwyn is full and i mean full of information and when it came to me wanting an indian res he took me there, there and then. If you dont stop here you would be silly not too. I am going back in a few weeks this will be my first port of call before i move into my own house. I have never wrote a review and i have travelled the hole world. In one short sentence cheap well designed buget hotel owner is fantastic and the friendlest welsh man i have ever met.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank belizeboy_11
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We found Sea Breeze and Gwyn on our first trip to Corozal and when it was time to return to Belize he was the first place I contaced to secure a room.
For the price the accomdations can't be beat and although the property is older it is comfortable, clean and the atmosphere is wonderful. If you want to know about Belize, Corozal or the area the 'lounge' upstairs is the place to be in the evenings, we have always enjoyed the people we meet and the conversations that take place.
The wi-fi service is fast and reliable and I loved sitting on the patio working on the web while my husband enjoyed a cigar and a read on his kindle while overlooking the bay.
Location wise the Sea Breeze couldn't be better, walking distance from the bus station and just blocks from the heart of the town and open outdoor market.
Breakfast was cooked by Sandra and never disappointed us!
The location is in a 'residential' area so there are all the normal noises of dogs, cars and people so you need to understand that when booking.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank emrir
Reviewed 9 October 2011

I stayed at the Sea Breeze for several days in August on an inpromptu work to investigate the Corozal area as a possible retirement locale for my mom. Lonely Planet recommended the place in an older publication so I went with their rec. Very clean and basic budget accomodations which are exactly as advertised. The sleeping and bath accomodations were comfortable (although a glass fixture over the bare ceiling bulb would have been nice) and the hotel served as an excellent home base from which I explored the town and surrounding area. The owner Gwyn is certainly a character and if you don't mind hearing the F word a lot ( I don't recommend children stay here) you'll come home with a story or two about this peculiar, gruff, and quite colorful welshman. Because of the ambiant tension given off when the owner is in a bit of a "mood" I cut my stay short to explore the sunnier side of Belize and to prepare for my reluctant return to the stressful life of an american criminal defense attorney. The morning of my departure the owner was up at the crack of dawn and at the front gate ready to drive me the short walk to the water taxi. That's the kind of service you wouldn't expect from a budget hotel, but it's all Gwyn. ALL of the reviews I've read on TripAdvisor about this hotel and it's owner are true ( consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds) and you are in for a pleasant if not interesting stay when the owner is on duty. However, no matter the mood of the owner, as long as Gwyn runs this establishment, you are guarenteed a clean, tidy stay at a great price. Oh, by the by, that water taxi took me to another wonderful Belize destination, Caye Caulker. I found another great $20.00 a night hotel, fabulous Belizean townsfolk, completely stress free ambiance, three heavenly days playing on the reef and an adorable little house I bought for my mom. Still, when we start the move next year, one of the first places we will stop in at is the Sea Breeze. If for no other reason than to introduce mom to Gwyn (she thinks I made him up,) his latest street dog, and the sweet neighbor two doors down who made my stay at the Sea Breeze so pleasant.

Room Tip: Stay away from the right (as you face the hotel) side rooms as the neighbor on that side is within s...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
#3 of 12 in Corozal
Hotel Casa Blanca
Hotel Casa Blanca
#5 of 20 in Chetumal

Been to The Sea Breeze Hotel? Share your experiences!