“Oh the memories!”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Corozal Town
Corozal Town, Belize
“Oh the memories!”
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We traveled to Corozal - my friend Mary Lou and I. We had a fabulous time. We loved the atmosphere. We loved the people. My husband and I will be back in January for six months! The room we were in #5, had no AC, but the fan took care of the breeze. The upper terrace with Wifi.. people using computers, reading books on Kindles and iPads, emailing others. Awesome. Sandra's breakfast was delicious! Gwynn really is that archetype.. a Pirate with a heart of gold... a Bad Boy Big Brother.... What a great experience. We traveled Belize, then emailed Gwynn that we were on our way back to Corozal. It felt like coming home!

Room Tip: When you are at the Sea Breeze - every room is a good room... Life is an adventure meant to be liv...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank CathieKL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We emailed and reserved a room for a couple of nights. When we arrived we were shown to a room upstairs. We went out for a walk and when we returned there had been a mix up and we moved to a room downstairs at the back of the house. It was no big deal but Gwyn the owner gave us the night free and a beer on the house! This was really nice but we then had to leave the bar, terrace and had no further house access from 9 pm as he went to bed! We had no wifi access in our room and there is nothing to do in Corozal at night! The kitchen is available to use but Gwyn sees this as a privilege not a right. Either guests should be able to use the kitchen or not. It would be a whole lot easier that way. Gwyn is a bit eccentric and if you can handle this then stay here. He trades on his name in the Lonely Planet and trip advisor. He is helpful and very knowledgeable but it can be hard work staying here. Otherwise, if you can afford it then maybe stay somewhere else. It is worth going to Corozal for the amazing curry at Venkys, really so very good. Gwyn advised us to order and then go and get a beer and come back an hour later. It was great advice.

3 Thank geronimoturtle
ToraBelize, Owner at The Sea Breeze Hotel, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Although this is not a great review, I welcome it because it allows me the opportunity to address an increasingly common problem. With the advent of smart phones, guests are working on their itinerary while already on the move. This allows great flexibility to, for example, avoid bad weather.
The following question arrives in my inbox almost daily. "Do you have a room for 2 people (one bed) on Jan XX?" When Jan XX is one or two days away. I respond, "right now, we have availability."
This is not a reservation. Bluntly, a reservation has been made when money has been paid.
It is an availability inquiry. Many of these do not result in a booking because people are, after all, exploring options. Of course I add, "if you want to reserve this room please send $ to........
But there are still people out there that confuse the two.
Having said that, it is a constant juggling act to keep the hotel full without overbooking. Our largest difficulty is guests that book for, say, 2 nights and then want to stay longer. With only 7 rooms there is not much space for manoeuvre. When we do make errors we do our best to ease the situation. As we did in this case.
Regarding the other issues. I start work at 6am and finish at 9pm. If guests have a constant need to be entertained, then then may I respectfully suggest Disneyland.
If you are using wi-fi there is a great little antenna you can plug into your computer which really enhances reception.
We offer clean, budget accommodation. Your $25 does not buy all of me. It buys you accommodation (and a piece of me). I do have to sleep sometime. If this is eccentric, then I am eccentric and happy to be so.
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 21 December 2011

We stayed at the Sea Breeze on our way south. Simple, inexpensive and made us feel like we were at home. Gwyn really knows Belize. He and Sandra both cooked amazing breakfasts each morning and Gwyn went out of his way to help guests navigate their way through Belize. He is an amazing source for all travelers; helped us to explore dockage for our vessel, assisted hikers to locate best routes, assisted us with travel options, etc. For a very reasonable price you can get an air conditioned room that overlooks the Bay, with cable TV and private bath. Mattresses are a little firm (most are throughout Central America). We liked it so much that we stayed on our return trip to Mexico. Thanks for everything Gwyn!

Room Tip: The room overlooking the Bay is fantastic! Book ahead of time!!!Also, please be considerate of Sandr...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank kshawn
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Only stayed one night but it was a good pitstop. Believe the hype, Gwyn knows everything.

Room Tip: We had the cheapest room ground floor to the right as you walk in and that night it was very loud, I...
Boston, MA
Reviewed 19 November 2011

As almost everyone else I found this hotel on trip advisor. I came into town at sunset and although I knew there was not much in town to entertain me I booked in for another night. The hotel is a simple place with about 7 rooms. My room had two beds (one queen the other twin) and a private bathroom for 40 Bz. The wifi does work well but not in the room so i had to hang out in the lobby areas. There is a kitchen downstairs that I didn't use but I saw two refrigerators, one of which had guest label on it. The bar upstairs is the perfect place to watch the sun set and have a beer. The owner, Gwyn, is indeed a personality. I found he very useful for information in the area and would help in any way. I did get my laundry done here. It was 1bz per pound and they use softener so they are really nice. there is a cat and dog that lives there although they never enter your rooms. They were both strays that the owner took in and are lovely. It's definitely the place to stay in town.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank 07Boston
England
Reviewed 10 November 2011

We visited The Sea Breeze Hotel on a brief trip into Belize from Mexico to renew our Mexican visas. We found the hotel online and read the reviews on TA, therefore what we found on our arrival was more or less as we expected, other than Gwynn proved to be the 'heart & soul' that makes this little place a real Belizian charm!

We called Gwynn beforehand to reserve our room and asked his advice about travelling into Belize for the purpose of our visa renewal. He was very knowledgeable and the directions and information which we downloaded form his web site was absolutely spot-on!

The Sea Breeze is as described a "budget" hotel, but is extremely clean and you have everything you need - you get a towel and a bar of soap. If you like luxury this may not be for you. We did have a TV in our room but did not use it, and we had a room with A/C. The shower had superb pressure and very hot water, and it proved to be one of the best showers I had experienced for some time! Gywnn is very hospitable, if not a character who does not suffer fools gladly, and I have to say I found his down-to-earth, direct 'say it as it is' persona a refreshing change!! He is a font of information about Belize and travelling in general, and has many entertaining stories to tell. As other reviewers have commented - the bar upstairs is just the coolest place to hang out in an evening - and we met a wonderful assortment of people, both local expats and other travellers. A place of lively discussion and wonderfully cold Belikin beer and Belizian rum!

The fresh coffee in the morning was just what was needed and we had breakfast cooked by Sandra - the first time I had had poached eggs cooked for me in ages, and I was delighted to see Marmite on the table (can you belize it?)

On the morning we were ready to leave, Gywnn offered to take us to the bus station, and then went so far as to drive us to the border.

I would recommend anyone to stay at The Sea Breeze, and would certainly not hesitate to stay there again.

San Antonio del Tachira, Venezuela
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Just got back from staying in this hotel. Fantastic hotel staff and owner. Gwyn is full and i mean full of information and when it came to me wanting an indian res he took me there, there and then. If you dont stop here you would be silly not too. I am going back in a few weeks this will be my first port of call before i move into my own house. I have never wrote a review and i have travelled the hole world. In one short sentence cheap well designed buget hotel owner is fantastic and the friendlest welsh man i have ever met.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
#3 of 12 in Corozal
Hotel Casa Blanca
Hotel Casa Blanca
#5 of 20 in Chetumal

Been to The Sea Breeze Hotel? Share your experiences!