“Owner the rudest ever!!!!!”

The Sea Breeze Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Corozal Town
Corozal Town, Belize
“Owner the rudest ever!!!!!”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We stayed here on our way through to Cancun and are sorry we did!!!!. The rooms are not as advertised. They are small...the bathroom was not clean...it was moldy! The owner was VERY obviously drunk and VERY rude!!!!. We returned to the hotel at 9PM after dinner to find the place locked up like Fort Knox and no way in. It took 2 hours for the neighbours to finally get hold of the owner who grudgingly let us in. When we complained about the lack of service he yelled "that if we didn't like it, we could go to hell for all he cared".

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Ellen254
ToraBelize, Owner at The Sea Breeze Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
It is the reality of running a small budget hotel that there will always be some bad reviews. You cannot please all of the people all of the time. But often a poor revue will point out a flaw that can be remedied and therefore has a positive side.
Ocassionally a bad review will be posted by someone who has never stayed at the hotel. This usually originates from a nearby competitor who is experiencing low occupancy rates.
This is one such review. It has been cobbled together by examining past comments and amalgamating them into a new, but phony, review.
What is rare is that the reviewer posted, on the same day, (March 22nd) a positively glowing review of The Copper Horse Inn, a nearby (100 yards away) competitor. In that review she states that it is the 2nd time she has stayed at the Copper Horse Inn. She wrote a good review after the first stay also. So why would she find herself at The Sea Breeze?
From her comments it is blatantly obvious that she never stayed at The Sea Breeze. Our guests are supplied with all keys necessary to enter the hotel. There is a night bell. My neighbors are my friends and retire for the night about 10pm. There is no way anyone could take 2 hours to gain access between 9pm and 11pm. Of course, if you have never actually stayed at the hotel, how would you know.
Rainy season ended in the first week of January and with it, any damp and mold. (Hence the name "dry season"). All our rooms were repainted by February. Of course if you have never actually stayed at the hotel, how would you know?
Our rooms are photographed without trickery and the images posted on our web site.
Most unforgivingly, she cast aspersions at my staff. As any real guest will tell you, my cleaning staff are honest and hard working. They have been with me for many years and deserve better than a cheap shot from a mean spirited competitor. She also referred to me as drunk and rude, but I have the ability to defend myself, unlike my staff.
This review is fraudulent, but seldom are such liars so inept. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the owner of The Copper Horse Inn and her returning guest assembled this review to increase her Trip Advisor rating and diminish mine. Shame on them. The travelling public deserve honest reviews from fair minded people.
Gwyn Lawrence, owner, Sea Breeze Hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 21 March 2014

This is a gem (for the money). If you are coming or going to Mexico this is a great place to stay. The rooms were small but clean. We used the AC only on one night as we stayed for six nights as well as one night on our way back to Cancun. Gwyn was a great host and I am sure we solve a lot of the problems in the world over a few Belikins at his guest only bar. On Gwyn's suggestion we took a day trip to Orange Walk, via local bus (lots of fun) and boat tour to the ruins. I got to climb to the top so now I never have to do that again. We will make sure we stay again on our next trips to Belize. Breakfasts were excellent.

Room Tip: Room 7 had the best showers in Belize.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Phil N
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

We spent a night here before crossing the border into Mexico and were very happy with our stay. The price was very reasonable and the room was spacious and clean. The wifi didn't reach the room but worked well in the common area which has a great sea view.

This was a quiet place to rest and enjoy the view. I'm not sure there's much else to do in Corozal!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Colite1990
Vernon, Canada
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

A great little place to stay for a night or a week.
The rooms are clean and comfy, Gwyn is a good host. Just don't trip over the dog who seems to live on the stairs
The only thing I could suggest are some comfortable chairs for chilling out in.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Sixcolour
San Jose, California
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We (couple, 40 & 50 years old) stayed at the Sea Breeze Hotel in November 2013 for one night. We paid about $25 a night. Our room was small, clean and simple. The bathroom was old and a bit moldy; the water was hot. The owner was friendly, though not around much – we had to leave payment on the counter when we left! I would not recommend the Sea Breeze Hotel and I would not recommend staying in Corozal town unless necessary.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank AnothersEyes
ToraBelize, Owner at The Sea Breeze Hotel, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
I always find it a little weird when reviews pop up months after the time of stay.
What is the mechanism? You stay at a hotel, return home, enjoy Christmas, see in the new year and then wake up one morning and think, "I must write a review of that hotel we stayed in last year."
But the important thing is to address the issues.
Tropical climates have 2 seasons, wet and dry. In northern Belize that tends to equate to June to October and November to May. The 2013 wet season was the longest and wettest in living memory. The sugar mill was due to open in mid November 2013, it opened on January 28th 2014. Farmers lost the corn, rice and beans crop. The New River was 7 feet above it's usual height. The rain was biblical. We had months with no significant sun. Naturally everything (and everybody) was "a bit moldy". At The Sea Breeze we provide economical, safe, clean and comfortable accommodation. A lot of time and money was spent washing the walls with bleach and painting. Sometimes we were ahead of the damp and sometimes we lagged behind.
Similarly in the town of Corozal. The local towns of Sartenenja and Copper Bank were cut off and had to be supplied by boat.
It is unfortunate that these guests couldn't see the good through the rain. But to be fair to them, it was a truly dreary time. Thankfully it is over.
As to my being around the hotel. I am always present between 6am and 8 am and then between 4pm and close. During the day my duties range from going to the bank, shopping, taking care of licenses, fixing errant computers, driving guests to the bus station, all the usual minutiae of running a business. But the housekeeper is always present between 8am and 4pm.
We are now in dry season and it is most welcome!
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Corozal Town is a bit dreary, but if you do find yourself here for a day or two, Sea Breeze makes a stay worthwhile. Looking back at my travels Nov. 4th to Dec. 4th, this was one of my favourite places.
Gwyn is the number one reason: he pretends to be a curmudgeon but he's actually soft-hearted and please note: he's Welsh, not British!
My room offered not just hot showers but a reading lamp: heaven!!. I loved the in-house bar, open from 4 pm to 8 pm, and the flexibility allowed for smokers, and the incredibly friendly staff who are paid decent wages, and the location both on the sea yet merely 3 blocks from from the wharf and 4 blocks from the bus station. And it's locked up at night so you feel safe and snug.
As a solo traveller, I can't imagine a better place to park your pack,
thanks, Gwyn

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank bitofasnob
Clovis, New Mexico
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I wanted to look at Belize as a possible semi-retirement option. Not being sure if I would buy in Belize or lease, after lots of reading blogs and speaking to others firsthand I decided to go on a bit of a relaxing fact finding tour. I looked around a bit and being on a budget decided on the Sea Breeze Hotel which was right on the water. I would say it has a bit of B&B style to it access to the kitchen and that sort of thing. The staff was super nice and if you want to know about anything around the area the owner can point you in the right direction. The breakfast served at 0800 (due to staff and bus schedule) was made to order for $5 USD, as for lunch lots of small places but Jam Rock with open air seating and the best wings I tried in Belize was outstanding and served with slaw and fries. I had a great time and will be back I visited October 12-20, 2013.

Room Tip: I stayed with no AC and only felt it would have been nice one night. Other rooms had AC if you wante...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
George Hardie's Las Vegas Hotel & Casino
Hotel Casa Blanca
Hotel Casa Blanca
#5 of 20 in Chetumal

Been to The Sea Breeze Hotel? Share your experiences!