“Good quality room but only stay in Corozal for one night.”

The Sea Breeze Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Corozal Town
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Private double en-suite, $45 BZD per night for the room, 3rd April 2014

Vibe: The Lonely Planet nails this by evoking the memory of 1920s seaside hotels and Ernest Hemmingway; many a tale will be heard when nursing a Belikin on the balcony.

Location: A 5 minute walk from the bus station, facing the seaside. Corozal is a very small town, so the centre is never too far away.

Best thing: Quite a luxury room for the price, in comparison to other establishments.

Worst thing: The heart will not long for Corozal, so only spend one night here.

Value for money: Very decent, however a cooked breakfast will cost an extra $10 BZD. Be sure to e-mail ahead of your arrival as there is not a permanent receptionist and official check-in is 4 p.m; Gwynn will usually make sure someone is there to meet you earlier.

Recommended for: Budget to mid-range travellers.

Top tip: Don't expect to find many food places open after 8 p.m.

Rating: 7/10

For more travel tips and photography, please check out our profile for more info.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank alongdustyroads

Reviewed 19 April 2014

I stopped here to enjoy the town, the sea, and be able to catch the ferry bright and early the next morning. The owner was on the verge of rude and acted like he was doing me a real favor by letting me stay at his hotel. Definitely not a Belizean attitude, but he wasn't Belizean anyway. The hotel has a nice location, but access to the water is extremely limited. The town was shuttered, making for a VERY boring stay. Needless to say, I got out of there very quickly the next morning. If you are catching the ferry to Caye Caulker or San Pedro, it leaves at 7:00, not 7:30 as mentioned in Lonely Planet. The hotel is a 10 minute walk to the pier.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank p31893189
ToraBelize, Owner at The Sea Breeze Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Lonely Planet Review

I kind of like this review. The guest actually stayed at the hotel (which is refreshing) and I remember her well. Also it is accurate. Our rooms are nice and I was extremely exasperated with her, which could be considered rudeness. But then she did stand in my lobby and tell me that the Thunderbolt water taxi left at 7.30am. I know the owner, the captain and the crew of the Thunderbolt and have watched it depart thousands of times and it leaves at 7am.
When I explained this she continued by saying, “no it, leaves at 7.30am”. There really is no way to deal with this type of madness. Perhaps if you pay $300 for a hotel room the staff will agree with you when you are absolutely wrong. But she paid $25 and that gets you a clean, comfortable, safe room. It does not get you obsequious sycophancy from the owner.
Access to the water is extremely limited, because Corozal has a sea wall to prevent erosion. However, 7 years ago I built a pier in front of the hotel to mitigate this. It can be seen from space (on google earth) but apparently not by this guest. Yes, the town is shuttered on Sunday.
That is because Belizeans are of the opinion that shopping takes second place to family.
Corozal was voted one of the top 10 places in the world to retire by the AARP (American Association of Retired People), just because it is easy going and relaxed. If no shopping equals boring, then it is a good thing that I suggested she arrive at the dock early. Heaven forbid she misses the water taxi and all that shopping in San Pedro!
Gwyn Lawrence, Owner

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Stayed the Sea Breeze as a couple (50's 60's) In December on are way from Cancun to Placentia. Before Gwyn replies : I always find it a little weird when reviews pop up months after the time of stay.What is the mechanism? You stay at a hotel, return home, enjoy Christmas, see in the new year and then wake up one morning and think, "I must write a review of that hotel we stayed in last year." Well the mechanism in this case was the absurdly unfair unjust negative review given by Ellen254. The rooms were clean and provided all your basic needs, The kitchen and breakfast were excellent and the Bar upstairs with the view of the bay was an amazing place to chill in the evening and Chat with Gwyn the owner and guests about Corozal Town and Belize in general. In fact we stayed longer than planned and cancelled Placentia and flew to San Pedro on the owners advice and was not disappointed. The Hotel felt safe at night with the gates locked and was easy to get in via the door Bell. A gem in Corozal Town, Thank you Gwyn for your hospitality and knowledge of the area, Look after that car of yours and thanks for the ride to the bus stop. It was much appreciated. Cheers.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank argey
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We looked at three different hotels in Corozal and this was the only one that came with a welcoming host. Our room was clean and basic. The room price was good. We were able to buy drinks in the evening and a delicious, hot breakfast in the morning for a reasonable price. Our host (Gwyn) was wonderful and he provided us with local information to help us on our journey. We would definitely stay here again our next time through Corozal.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dawn F
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We stayed here on our way through to Cancun and are sorry we did!!!!. The rooms are not as advertised. They are small...the bathroom was not clean...it was moldy! The owner was VERY obviously drunk and VERY rude!!!!. We returned to the hotel at 9PM after dinner to find the place locked up like Fort Knox and no way in. It took 2 hours for the neighbours to finally get hold of the owner who grudgingly let us in. When we complained about the lack of service he yelled "that if we didn't like it, we could go to hell for all he cared".

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Ellen254
ToraBelize, Owner at The Sea Breeze Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

It is the reality of running a small budget hotel that there will always be some bad reviews. You cannot please all of the people all of the time. But often a poor revue will point out a flaw that can be remedied and therefore has a positive side.
Ocassionally a bad review will be posted by someone who has never stayed at the hotel. This usually originates from a nearby competitor who is experiencing low occupancy rates.
This is one such review. It has been cobbled together by examining past comments and amalgamating them into a new, but phony, review.
What is rare is that the reviewer posted, on the same day, (March 22nd) a positively glowing review of The Copper Horse Inn, a nearby (100 yards away) competitor. In that review she states that it is the 2nd time she has stayed at the Copper Horse Inn. She wrote a good review after the first stay also. So why would she find herself at The Sea Breeze?
From her comments it is blatantly obvious that she never stayed at The Sea Breeze. Our guests are supplied with all keys necessary to enter the hotel. There is a night bell. My neighbors are my friends and retire for the night about 10pm. There is no way anyone could take 2 hours to gain access between 9pm and 11pm. Of course, if you have never actually stayed at the hotel, how would you know.
Rainy season ended in the first week of January and with it, any damp and mold. (Hence the name "dry season"). All our rooms were repainted by February. Of course if you have never actually stayed at the hotel, how would you know?
Our rooms are photographed without trickery and the images posted on our web site.
Most unforgivingly, she cast aspersions at my staff. As any real guest will tell you, my cleaning staff are honest and hard working. They have been with me for many years and deserve better than a cheap shot from a mean spirited competitor. She also referred to me as drunk and rude, but I have the ability to defend myself, unlike my staff.
This review is fraudulent, but seldom are such liars so inept. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the owner of The Copper Horse Inn and her returning guest assembled this review to increase her Trip Advisor rating and diminish mine. Shame on them. The travelling public deserve honest reviews from fair minded people.
Gwyn Lawrence, owner, Sea Breeze Hotel.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

This is a gem (for the money). If you are coming or going to Mexico this is a great place to stay. The rooms were small but clean. We used the AC only on one night as we stayed for six nights as well as one night on our way back to Cancun. Gwyn was a great host and I am sure we solve a lot of the problems in the world over a few Belikins at his guest only bar. On Gwyn's suggestion we took a day trip to Orange Walk, via local bus (lots of fun) and boat tour to the ruins. I got to climb to the top so now I never have to do that again. We will make sure we stay again on our next trips to Belize. Breakfasts were excellent.

Room Tip: Room 7 had the best showers in Belize.