Las Palmas Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Mirador Hotel(Corozal Town)
View Hotel
The Sea Breeze Hotel(Corozal Town)
Hotel Maya(Corozal Town)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsin townmission teamstay there againrooms were very cleanair conditionercharliecompoundhelpercanadaratesbaychannelsborderschoollaundry
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We spent a week with Charlie, the owner and host. What a time we had. The property is centrally located and within walking distance to just about anywhere in town. We explored the area from our lovely room and had some great conversations with Charlie. He is so knowledgeable about the area and shared his experiences as an ex-pat with us and recommended some great places to eat and visit.
The room was spacious and very comfortable for the two of us. We whole-heartedly recommend this hotel as THE place to stay in Corozal Town.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Marylin B
Reviewed 11 September 2013

September 11, 2013: Just spent 3 days at Las Palmas with my husband and granddaughter and highly recommend this hotel. Not only is the facility beautiful and clean, but Charlie, the owner and host, willingly shared his own experiences as an ex-pat in Belize and offered suggestions to make the most of our stay. The host went out of his way to provide outstanding service, good conversation, recommendations for places to eat, and suggestions for local sites to see. Our room had two full beds, a small table and two chairs, a TV, small refrigerator and microwave and enough room to maneuver 3 people and gear. The bathroom door grated on the floor and made a lot of noise but the cleanliness and large shower size made up for that minor nuisance. A/C and floor fan worked great.

Room Tip: Bayside rooms are on the street and noisy at times but that contributes to the experience of the locale.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
charles r, Owner at Las Palmas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2013

Thank you for your kind words. When appropriate, I try my best to first respond to the concerns of the traveler. Then, I try to give them advice about Belize and why it is a great place to retire. I have fixed the rubbing door on the bathroom and will continue to respond to constructive criticism. Again, I appreciate your words and you and your family were great guests. Charlie

Reviewed 23 August 2013

Las Palmas is a great property right in the middle of Corozal town. Charlie is a wonderful host and very knowledgable about the area. We had a perfect stay, though it was much too short. Will definitely return!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JulieDuke
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We were driving from San Ignacio to Tulum and needed a place to stop for the night. We chose Corozal based on the description in the guide book we had, and we stayed at the Hotel Las Palmas. In hindsight, we should have pressed on to the border and found a place in Mexico.

First the town: Corozal is a dive with few or no redeeming qualities. Perhaps the resorts on the outskirts are alright, but the town itself is a desolate maze of dirty streets lined with Chinese-owned supermarkets and a few passable restaurants. Perfectly situated on the bay, Corozal fails to take advantage of this ideal location, and the waterfront is uninspiring, as is the central square. Certainly not worth even a few hours.

We stayed at Las Palmas after one hotel (Hok'ol K'in Guest House) was full and another (Mirador) looked grungy (we checked out a room). It was more expensive than the other places but looked at first sight to be in a higher class.

Las Palmas is owned by a slightly eccentric American named Charlie who has obviously invested a lot of money into refurbishing the hotel. The rooms were clean, the A/C worked fine, and the TV had lots of channels. There was a fridge and a microwave in the room but nothing to eat or drink with, not even a glass. The wifi was spotty and any signal there was only reached a few meters from Charlie's office - we had to sit on plastic chairs outside of his office in order to check email. The review in the Lonely Planet says that he promised a pool would be installed, but the courtyard is nothing but concrete.

Worst of all, I could feel the springs in the matress on the bed, which meant a terrible night's sleep. Oddly enough, payment was required up front, or else I would have demanded a discount, but since I had already paid in full, I could only ask for partial refund. When I complained about the mattress in the morning, Charlie said, "I guess I am going to have to change it." Charlie refused to give even a symbolic refund, saying that I should have asked for a new room. However, this was not very practical at 2 in the morning when you wake up with a spring stuck in your back.

In summary, don't stop in Corozal unless you absolutely have to, and in that case, go ahead and give Las Palmas a try, but don't have high expectations and double-check the quality of the mattress before paying up-front for the room.

Room Tip: Check the mattress before agreeing to the room. Get a room close to the office if you want wifi in it.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JeffinPrague
charles r, Owner at Las Palmas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Sir,
First of all, I am very sorry that you had a horrible night in Corozal. I agree that you should have gone on to Chetumal. We love Corozal here and although we do not have beaches here, the water is beautiful. Like I had mentioned to you in the morning, when you checked out, all you had to do was to tell us about your mattress, no matter what the time was, and we would have moved you to the room next door. It would have been no problem at all for us. The room was vacant right next door to you and you could have gotten a good nights sleep. I checked out the bed when you checked out and yes, the mattress did have a problem. The other mattress for the other bed in your room was fine, as your son told me he had a great nights sleep. I do apologize for the state of the mattress and it has been replaced. I did not refund your money because you did not even give us the chance to correct the problem. Again, things like this happen and I apologize. I, as an owner, cannot read a clients mind. We must, at least, have the opportunity to correct any problems. You, unfortunately, did not give us this opportunity.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

I recently stayed at Las Palmas for 10 days for a church service trip. It was everything you could ask for and much more. The beds are soft and cozy, the food is great, the showers are warm, the AC is an absolute lifesaver in the rooms and works within seconds of turning it on, the rooms are cleaned amazingly well every day and the owner Charlie is as perfect of a host as they come. I had a life changing experience on my trip and Las Palmas made it that much better. If your ever in Corozal Las Palmas is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Depending on how many people are in your room, ask about the different room sizes and options.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business