“Julias house was really nice”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Placencia
Julia's Rooms and Guesthouse
Ranked #13 of 27 Placencia B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I really liked it. Right on the beach, Julia herself gave me my room. Girl at the reception was super nice, they let me use their laptop to check my emails. It was kinda quiet when I got there wich made it even nicer. Thank you very much Julias peeps hope to visit you again soon
Manu

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 3 March 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in the beach front cabana. Cabana was clean. Clean enought! Price was a bit high, but everywhere in Placencia you will pay more as expected for the room you had in thoughts. For sure i recommend this place, but don't let the surrounding from the sidewalk to the reception scare you. Just close your eyes for 5 seconds. If I would go back to Placencia, this is the place that I would book again

Room Tip: The beachfront cabana has the nicest view
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Herr_Jurgen
Reviewed 9 February 2013

At $71.00 US in high season we thought it was a good buy. The view, breezes, breaking waves, and beach made for an excellent location. Monday to Wednesday nights were good because the Tipsy Tuna seemed to shut down the entertainment around 10pm, But Thursday was a different storey. They were going strong until 2am and we had to get up at 5am to catch the bus. We were thinking about trying to rent the new cabin, on the beach, long term next year, but the noise Thursday, was the deal breaker. I found Julia very helpful, along with the young lady in the office. Julia didn't change our bedding between the 1st and 2nd day because she didn't want our dog to get loose, (or maybe she was afraid of him, a 30 lb. min. schnauzer), but she was going to change the linen on the 3rd day, but we said we didn't need it changed.

Room Tip: Get the new cabin facing the water. The waves put you to sleep AFTER the Tipsy Tuna closes.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 December 2012

First up, as someone lucky enough to have enjoyed many beautiful beaches, I want to let you know that if you’re going to Placencia for the beach then maybe think twice. We were told Placencia has the best beach in Belize, and while that might be true, it was one of the worst beaches I’ve encountered. The sand is more like gravel, it’s covered in dried seaweed, dog poop and other rubbish and the water looks more green than blue.

That aside, Julia’s is a great, cheap option. Sure there are cheaper places in Placencia but we did the rounds upon our arrival in town and decided the few extra bucks it cost to stay at Julia’s made it worth it. Place’s like Omars and Lydia's Guesthouse are below-average in comparison.

We had one of the smaller bungalows, set back from the beach but only by 20-metres and we had everything we needed. Private bathroom, bar-fridge, coffee maker and bare-basic kitchen equipment which really only allowed us to make salads or sandwiches (though Julia told us we could use the kitchen attached to the dorm rooms which had a two-burner hot plate and a few pots and pans).

The rooms are basic and clean. Julia offered to clean our bungalow on multiple occasions and to change our towels and sheets but given we were only there for 5 days it seemed like a waste of water and power to do so.

The beds are reasonably comfortable, there are fans (both ceiling and portable) and there’s plenty of hot water and a decent shower. My only gripe is that the grounds could do with a good clean-up but it seems that leaving rubbish and crap lying around are the norm in Belize (that is, unless you want to pay the big bucks and stay at a fancy resort/hotel). Overall, Placencia has a kinda cool vibe going on but had I known what I was in for I would have given it a miss.

PS - it's amazing how a decent camera can make even the crappiest place look amazing.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Well for started I could've used more towels and toilets paper. But to be fair Julia's Cabanas is very inexpensive. Ms. Julia herself is an older woman who seems to try her best to keep the property clean and welcoming. However, I think Julia's could benefit from some additional staff. Most of my complaint could have been solved if there was someone available more often. Still, I would not give Julia's a "poor" review because let's face it- It Placencia Belize and it's CHEAP! I will give you a short list of pros and cons of this spot on the beach. Let's starts with pros
1. I'll say it again.. It is cheap!
2. The cabanas are located right on the beach. And the View it spectacular ( see photos).
3. it is located right in the village so it's a short walk to get food, drinks and sun!
4. It is safe. I walked to my room at all hours of the night alone ( female) never any issues.
5. Hot showers! Trust me. You can't get that everywhere.
6. Its cool during the day.
Cons
1. Its on the beach. SO if you must have quiet to sleep this may be a problem. It was never an issue for me. just FYI
2. It is not easy to get fresh towels and Julia does not give out wash clothes, hand towels and floor towel. ( at least not to us). Pet peeve of mine.
3. My bed was terrible! There were too beds in the room one big (King) and a Full. The full was comfy bit the King was like lying on concrete with springs poking your back. Additionally, the comforter are from the 60's which I found really gross( think about 40 years of honeymoon nights)
4. The kitchenette had no spoons, no forks one plate and no coffee or coffee maker. :0(
5. Brace yourself for the sand flies. This is not a problem unique to Julia's, but I got bit up in my room. There was some kind of rug and whenever I stepped on it I got ate up.
6. LAst but certainly not least- the wi-fi was not working and when it was the signal was so weak we couldn't use it.We asked several times for the problem to be fixed -it never was. Julia's boast they have free wi-fi but for my entire stay I was unable to use it. However, if you just need a quick "net-fix" Tipsy Tuna ( see my review) is just a 1 minute walk away!
Let's face it. If you want Luxury you will be disappointed if you stay at Julia's, however I feel management of the establishment could do a better job of maintaining the interior of the property to include upgrades on linens, cookware etc.
I should mention that it I wanted to stay long in Belize on a budget I would suck it up and stay there again. Hope this helps. Happy Journeys!
K&A

Room Tip: Stay on the beach front it you can. Great view awesome breeze! Do not wear you shoe indoor. The sand...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank travelingvoyer
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Arrived in Placencia planning to stay on the edges of the city. Met a fellow traveler on the water taxi over and he recommended Julia's. Walked over and they just finished building a new one room cottage on the beach and it was available. It only had a partial kitchen, but for $40 US we weren't going to find a better beachfront option. They took care of any requests and questions we had. It was cheaper to stay here than going camping in some Ntl Parks. As long as my basic needs are met I am happy, not looking for anything fancy. The bar next door can get a bit loud at night.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2012

I wanted to give this place a good review. When we first arrived I thought, beach, sand, good rooms, coconuts, awesome. But as we stayed here some things were kinda deal breakers. They had construction going on in the rooms next to us the whole time, which we were probably just unlucky with our timing. But then we were forced to move rooms and move back a few days later over our stay, and we weren't given any compensation for this. They knew we were going to move during our stay beforehand as well. While I understand having to do construction on rooms and such, telling us we have to move one morning and telling us we have to move back a few days later is a bummer. The other tangible complaint I feel bad about posting is regarding one of the employees (who I think is Julia's son?). He is truly mentally impaired, but he roams the grounds all the time and gained a certain affinity for my girlfriend. This got to be really annoying because it is hard to enjoy the beach while this guy comes up to us and starts yelling, and ignores requests to go away. At night, he would also have these "yelling fits" that seemed to resemble paranoid schizophrenia, over time these became a nuisance.

Overall, I would have loved this place if I just judged from the outside. But combining the construction circumstance handling and a disturbed resident I had to grade harsher. Topping it all off though was the general rudeness. I've lived in Belize for many months, and Julia herself really did not make any attempts to help us with our complaints or anything really (including a cockroach problem in the room we were moved to, I know there are roaches in Belize, but we didn't have this problem in the other room and she told us to go buy spray if it bothered us). The younger girl who worked the front desk was very kind, but she left early in our stay and Julia was the one who unfortunately made it harder than it needed to be. I wanted this place to be great, and I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt during our whole stay, but I think two stars (or circles) is a generous grade.

Room Tip: I will say, if you can avoid Mr. Strange definitely get an ocean front cabin, the view is just great...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple