“Nothing Special”

Above Grounds Coffee
Ranked #1 of 2 Coffee & Tea in Placencia
Price range: US$1 - US$5
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Description: Above Grounds Coffee has established a direct connection with small independent farmers in Guatemala. Hand-picked, processed & roasted by small family operations. Their 100% mountain grown and 100% Arabica coffee beans are shade grown, hand-picked and then processed to organic standards. All fields meet elevation requirements for Strictly Hard Bean (SHB) grade and some meet the Fancy (F) grade. These two top grades (Fancy and SHB) total less than 2.5% off all coffee produced globally!
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Decent coffee drinks. Baked goods (i.e. bagel) not that great. Out of their juices when we were there.

Internet access, fine.

I like the design of it, kind of has a tree house feel, but there is nothing about it that makes me want to rush back there.

If I'm dying for some caffeine and I see it, I'll stop. Otherwise I'll head to Brewed Awakenings up the street.

Also, service was not overly friendly.

There are newer reviews for Above Grounds Coffee

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Wife and I had coffee there while in Placencia, the made a great cafe latte and the price was very reasonable.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

great place to sit and enjoy wonderful iced coffee! with Internet access, we bought some coffee beans to bring home they are delicious!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

So refreshing to have a hot, great cup of coffee! The view was really nice from our perch, and the fresh orange juice was a plus. A bit pricey but overall worth it. I say try it out!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

but they have this concoction made with cucumber, lime, pineapple and spinach that I kept going back for. I must also mention the homemade donuts that were fluffy and sugary and yummy, and the wonderful carved shells I bought to take home with me. The artwork on them was exquisite. If you are looking for a handcrafted item, check them out. The prices are reasonable for everything they sell, drinks and otherwise. The service was prompt, too. It's a great little spot to sit and rest, use the wi-fi they offer, and have a chat with the friendly natives.