What an amazing getaway my husband and I had for our 2 year wedding anniversary. It was a bit of a haul getting there (3 planes, and a 45 minute boat ride) but well worth the trip. Wish we had known about this place for our honeymoon.
Privacy - it really felt like we had our own mini island. We had our own deck literally right on the water, our own hammock, and our own mini section of the beach.
Activities - We had access to snorkeling gear, diving gear, kayaks, paddle boats, and sail boats that we could use at our leisure on our own time without needing to schedule a trip.
Service - Everyone on the island knew us by name. We dealt mostly with Andy, Carl, and Rasta who were all great and very accommodating. We were able to get a private romantic dinner right on the beach that was beautifully set-up for us
Cost - we had the 4 night living social deal which made the cost well worth it. It included the charter flights within Belize, the boat ride to the island, the cabana, 3 meals daily, all the island activities, as well as a sail boat trip to the silk cayes for some snorkeling.
Room - Was surprisingly very nice and modern. Had little sitting area and bed.
Food: Food was decent, but there was one restaurant with one menu, so I felt very limited in my selections. Wish there was a bit more variety. Also food was only from certain hours - so if you miss lunch that ends around 2, there is no food until dinner at 6. Wish there was a snack bar menu or something for in between. We actually bought some snacks which us which was great. Drinks are always available.
Nightlife: There is none here, so if that's what you're looking for, look elsewhere. For us it was great as we were only looking for day activities and relaxation, we were so exhausted by the end of the day that we relaxed a bit on our deck with the cool breeze and went to bed.
Tipping: Difficult to determine where your tip goes or how to tip properly. Asked a few times, and did not really get a clear answer.
Charter Flight: only have certain times available, so you may be waiting at the airport for your connecting flight for quite a while.
Cost: We had the living social deal, and were never really told what wasn't included. There are trips scheduled during the day to see turtles, or go diving and these are all at an additional cost.
Beach: Beautiful, but a but rocky and difficult to actually swim in
Overall an amazing place, wish the living social deal offered a 6 or 7 night stay as 4 night just wasnt enough. Would highly recommend it and I'm very picky!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A private island on the edge of the Silk Marine Reserve, seventeen miles east of Placencia, Hatchet is on the longest reef in North America. Laugh, love, play, explore, relax, rejuvenate, and dine in the island lifestyle you want. with a mile of private shoreline and word class diving and fishing only minutes away. With a pirates past, a hideaway present, and an environmental future, Hatchet offers unspoiled environment for your unforgettable tropical island experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hatchet Caye Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hatchet Caye Hotel Placencia
- Hatchet Caye Resort Belize/Placencia