“AAAaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! :-)”

Hatchet Caye Resort
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Placencia
Reviewed 20 March 2013

If you leave this island without trying the Lionfish Tacos you will miss out on one of life's greatest experiences in seafood :-) One day I managed breakfast, lunch and dinner on Lionfish and loved every minute of it.

We stayed in Cabana #4 and it had an ocean view but we spent most of our time on the pier in the hammocks and were sure to stay properly 'hydrated'. The tropical ocean breezes were soothing, the waves lapping on the coral relaxing and the peace and tranquility melt all cares away. I was in the middle of a re-model when I left and I can't say I thought of the carnage back home once!

We never had rain during our stay(6-10th March) but we did in Belmopan and I kinda wished we were on the island to see how it looked(umbrellas are provided, there were two in our room).

Although I didn't think I'd spend any time fishing on the island it turned out to be my biggest activity...besides eating and drinking of course ;-) We didn't go to the fitness center or use the spa facilities so I can't report anything there.

Although we're cat people we looooved the little doggie on the island, it reminded us of our pets at home so he became our pseudo-pet :-) He's quite a cheerful chap and is the unofficial island mascot I'm sure.

Oh! There are a bunch of DVD's at the office, a great selection.

5  Thank andrew g
There are newer reviews for Hatchet Caye Resort

Reviewed 18 March 2013

We read all the reviews on Hatchet Caye and unfortunately our experience didn't live up to the expections we had. The place is beautiful, the plane/boat ride was an adventure, the rooms were clean and modern and the snorkeling off the island was great but overall we felt a little let down. When we booked our room it was a "partial ocean view" room but there was no explanation that we wouldn't be in a cabana like everyone else. We were on the 2nd floor of the office in a HUGE room (that part was great) but we were really out of the way (room #9). All the cabanas had comfy chairs to sit in outside and hammocks to relax it - our room had none of that. We had a nice porch (no view) and on it was a large glass table with 6 wicker chairs that were really uncomfortable to sit in.

Had we known that we would have a kitchen, we would certainly have brought drinks with us but we didn't know anything about it. This room would have been great if we were traveling with a group and we wanted a central place to hang out. It has a large living room with a big sectional couch - all good but we would have traded it for a nice little cabana.

The other tough thing was Dasha's barking dog. He's super cute and I kind of hate to write this but every morning he barked like mad and at various times throughout the day. I'm not anti-dog or anything but I just don't want to listen to that while "relaxing" on vacation.

We had a day and a half of rainy/windy weather so that definitely put a damper on the situation - there's really nothing to do. Once we had nice weather, they took us out to the "turtle spot" to snorkel which was very cool. We saw only one turtle but lots of rays and nurse sharks. The next morning we asked about another snorkel trip. Dasha said she'd see if she could organize something and would price it out for us. An hour and a half later we went back to the office and asked her about it - she hadn't heard from the dive captain. We waited around another hour and a half (didn't go out snorkeling or anything) and still didn't hear anything. We finally gave up and went out snorkeling. Dasha never actually got back to us - I eventually just asked and apparently the dive master never got back to her. I've read all the reveiws saying she was all around the resort and honestly the first 2 days we were there, we never would have even laid eyes on her if we hadn't gone to the office to grab movies to watch. She was around the next couple of days though and I found her to be very nice and friendly. I'm left wondering if something was going on those first few days because it really doesn't seem like the same place that everyone has been reviewing.

Also note - one of the guests was given a spear gun to use despite the fact that he didn't know what he was doing. He was snorkeling near us and needless to say I was a little concerned!

The food was FANTASTIC and the service was good - some of the waitstaff were extremely friendly. The snorkeling and kayaking around the island was great - we saw lots of different fish and coral right off the pier.

Room Tip: Room 9 is huge but no charm. Room 8 is downstairs of the same building so isn't a cabana either...
7  Thank Karyn512
hatchetcaye, General Manager at Hatchet Caye Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2013

Hi Karyn, Many thanks for your candid review. It makes me so sad to respond simply because we spoke at length before you left out on the dock about your travel within Belize pre and post Hatchet and had I known you felt let down by anything while visiting us I would have found a way to compensate you prior to check-out and of course apologized for any inconveniences caused. I can not dispute any part of your review and your recollection of the 2nd snorkel mishap is indeed correct.. to further explain I was hoping that the guide (who had an emergency on the mainland so had to leave unexpected) was on his way to the island and that was the reason I could not get him to answer the phone and the reason I was reluctant to commit or to deny the possibility of a tour. Come to find out the next day he had left his charger on the island and had not received any of my calls or voice messages until his return the next morning. This of course, while out of our control, put a damper on your afternoon and for that I do apologize. In reference to Jefe - it is also true that he was extremely vocal while you were here and although all dogs do bark it was out of character for him to be so yappy. Regarding the appointment and location of Room 9 - the fact that it is a larger unit than the others with a king bed and much larger sitting area and bathroom usually makes up for the fact that is situated in a different location than the other units - we do also make sure to let folks know that it is a partial oceanview room at the time of booking as the bedroom does have an unobstructed view of the ocean. I so wish you had told me that the room was not to your liking - I would have moved lounge chairs to the sun deck or crows nest near your room for added comfort and figured out some way to make it up to you. In Belize it is legal to use what is called a trident for catching Lionfish and Lionfish only and that is the 'spear' that you saw our guest using - actual spear guns are illegal and we do not own any of those. Each person that is given this instrument is tested to see if they know to operate it as well as given instructions on what they can or can not do with it. If you saw our guests or our guides using the trident for anything other than hunting Lionfish please do let me know so that I can address it right away. Lastly, I do try my best to be present as much as possible and to get to know every one of our our guests, but it is certainly true that some days I am entirely consumed by desk work - this is regrettably unavoidable. In short, with a little communication I am sure we could have taken care of your concerns and we will use your feedback to aim for better experiences of future guests.

Reviewed 18 March 2013

Just returned from a 4 night stay at Hatchet Caye Resort and I'm already planning my next trip there. Although we did not have the most ideal weather (wind and rain), it did not spoil a great vacation at this resort.
The accomondations are excellent. Cabanas are comfortable, clean, and of course a perfect view of the ocean from every corner. The decks are perfect for afternoon reading and relaxing. The food is wonderful, especially the lionfish!!! Our waiters and bartenders were excellent, in fact all the staff at Hatchet Caye were wonderful. There was nothing they wouldn't do for you to make your stay there perfect.
The best part of the day was sitting on the docks at night just watching the spotted eagle rays glide so gracefully around you. Unbelievable!!!
My daughter told me that this has been her favorite vacation ever! Thank you Dasha, David, Charlie, Rosta, and all the staff at Hatchet Caye Resort!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TravelingMomof4girls
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Just returned from Hatchet Caye and it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. When I show people pictures they think they are looking at one of those professionally taken desktop backgrounds. We'll never forget the wonderful staff who made sure we had a special experience. From Marlon the boat driver, to Dwayne the tour guide, to Dasha the island manager, to David and Charlie the bartenders, I'll never forget any of them and can only hope to get the opportunity to go back and visit with them again someday. The food is extremely good and fresher than anything you'll find in the states. They make some amazing lion fish tacos from the plentiful waters you are surrounded by. The rooms are very clean and right on the ocean. All the amenities are there like TV and A/C if your not into roughing it. The wildlife is amazing. Hatchet Caye is situated right in one of the worlds most vibrant coral reefs. You don't even have to get in the water to see sting rays, sea turtles, fish, I even saw dolphins swimming around off the pier one morning! If your like me and want to take a closer look, they constantly offer the opportunity to go on snorkeling excursions and dive trips and there is a large variety of watercraft available to you if you want to go explore on your own. If you are someone who is interested in seeing some of the best wildlife a tropical setting has to offer or if you just want to relax and unwind somewhere with great people, great scenery, and great weather than Hatchet Caye is waiting for you.

1  Thank stach_mi
Reviewed 13 March 2013

My husband and I visited Hatchet Caye because of a Living Social deal. Well worth every penny and then some!

The cost included a flight from Belize City (be prepared it's a little Cessna-type plane) and a boat ride that lasts about an hour from Placencias to Hatchet Caye. We read previous reviews where suitcases got wet, so we brought trash bags to cover ours, but it did not happen, and all suitcases went under the front part so unless it's raining I don't see where that would occur. The boat is covered with a tarp, but it did seem like the back part got some spray, so don't sit there. We didn't hit rough waters so we didn't have a problem with seasickness as some have reported. But be warned - it is 18 miles to the island and if you do tend to be seasick, get some patches or something ahead of time.

The island itself is small - I think they said about a 1-mile circumference. There isn't much to do on the island except relax. You can snorkel, use a kayak or pedal-boat, or Hobie Cat. If you're into water sports, there is plenty to keep you occupied. They also offer scuba certification, and with the all-inclusive package there was one trip to snorkel with the loggerhead turtles (these things are HUGE!) included. Definitely a must-do.

My husband and I like to run and bike, and you can't really do that here. We did a 4-day package, and that was enough for us. We enjoyed every minute, but staying longer would have been too much. But if you scuba and can't stay out of the water, you might enjoy a longer stay.

Food was excellent and plentiful. The package included 3 meals per day. We had read some reviews that suggested bringing snacks as there is no food served between meals. We did, and it wasn't necessary. In fact, after the first morning we skipped breakfasts because there was just so much food. Everything was freshly prepared and delicious. My husband's favorite dish was the seafood coconut curry dinner, and mine was the same - but vegetarian. They will make vegetarian entrees for you if requested.

There were some dining snafus, such as the first breakfast that we did go to where there were no eggs, and there was only one serving of pancakes left, and one dessert that was supposed to be key lime pie that ended up being more of a key lime soup. Remember you are on an isolated island and they do the best they can!

Our room was large and comfortable, with 2 queen beds and a sitting area. All rooms are on the water, so you will have a view no matter what room you get. Everything was spotlessly clean.

The staff are wonderful and do everything they can to accommodate any request.

One of our favorite aspects of the trip was meeting Jefe, the dachshund. He belongs to the manager, Dasha, and since we were missing our 3 dachshunds, Jefe was a welcome sight. This is literally a little dog who has his own island! :)

We thoroughly enjoyed our trip and highly recommend visiting.

Room Tip: All rooms are great!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 3RedDoxies
Reviewed 7 March 2013

My fiance and I just came back from a week at Hatchet Caye. So where do we begin? We are still speachless about this place. When a person hears about a private island, with room for only 26 people max, one might think of a place that only the super rich and famous go. But Hatchet Caye is anything but only for the rich and famous. It is a true paradise, miles away from the main land and crowds. This is a place where less is truly more. Less crowds, less (actually NO people) on the beach, disturbing your peace because they are trying to sell you things. At Hatchet Caye there is no preasure for you to do anything but relax!
We took a full advantage of the water activities on the island, snorkeling, kayaking, scuba diving and swiming with the sting rays and giant turtles (yes, they are HUGE)!
One of the best things about Hatchet Caye are the bungalows. Our bungalow was literaly two feet off the water. Every morning we would wake up and lay in bed, watching the water thru the window. When we wanted to go lay in the sun, we had the option to lay on our own porch or go to the sand area around the bungalow. At night, we would go to the pier, where we would see spoted sting rays swim arround.
Hatchet Caye is a place that is PERFECT for people who just want to get away, rekindle the love for the person they are with. You will have the option to have a quiet day, soaking in the sun or swiming in the cristal clear waters, or you can join the rest of the people on island by going to the restaurant or hoping on one of the snorkeling tours. You can do as much or a little as you want!
The other great thing about Hatchet Caye are the people. Everyone is so friendly and helpfull. People who work there make it clear that they love their jobs. No matter what they are doing, they will always stop and say hello to you. Our servers at the restaurant, Juan and David, were always so helpfull to us. Their service was outstanding! And not to mention the food. It was delicious! We tried our best to order diferent item every day, and there is not one item that is better than the rest. Not only was all the food great, but it was always presented fantastic.
The lady who was taking care of the bungalows, Chalaney, is a sweatheart! She was always so profesional and discreat. Every time she would clean the room, she would not only leave it spotless, but smelling SO good.
Rasta, who takes care of the water activities and equipment, is one of a kind. His spirits are always high and he will always bring a smile on your face. The unbelievable thing about him is that he is always there. He was helping us with the kayaks, with the snorkeling, with the scuba diving; the guy is amazing!
Lastly, but certantly not last, Dasha is outstanding. She is the manager at Hatchet Caye. And don't be mistaken, she is not one of those managers who simply sits in the office and answers email. Yes, she is super prompt responding to any email, no matter what day nor time you send it. But more amazingly, she is always looking over things on the island. We would be running up and down the island, overlooking every single detail, staying on top of it all. But she was never too busy to chat and answer guests' questions. She is a joy to work with!
As much as we wish we couple keep this place a secret, it is truly too good to keep from others. And on top of all its beauty, Hatchet Caye is really reasonably priced for all you get: the privecy, the amenities, the personal attention from all the staff, the beautiful clear water all around the island, the lack of crowds and people trying to sell you things on the beach, the great food. Every person should make this a vacation destination, no matter how young or old you are. Visit Hatchet Caye!!!! We know we will be coming back a few more times, and trust us, we do not repeat our vacation destinations. But Hatchet Caye is an exception. We LOVE Hatchet Caye and we are sure so will you!

Room Tip: All the room are equally good!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nadejda28
Reviewed 6 March 2013

We vacationed on Hatchet Caye for 6 days last week and felt it was above and beyond what we ever expected, and we anticipated it would be dreamy. This was our dream vacation and it proved to be true. Dasha is amazing in making the arrangements to get to and from the island and everything went as expected. We had a little time to shop in the village of Placencia while waiting for the boat and were treated to complimentary gelato for even having to wait a little longer than anticipated. No problem :)

Upon arrival, we were greeted very warmly with a delicious tropical drink and escorted to our cabanas. Another complimentary drink served with our first dinner along with a welcome sign with our names on it! Treated like royalty.... The island is beyond beautiful, dreamy and relaxing. The staff is amazing, helpful, genuinely friendly and never expecting of tips. The food is out of this world and with only one chef during our stay there, we felt like he was amazing to accomplish what he did for the guests and boaters that came to enjoy the restaurant. Not one thing got left behind on our plates and we ate things we normally never would have, just because they too, were good!

We felt so welcomed from the time we got there and that feeling continued until the time we left.
The cabanas were beautiful, private and comfortable. The entire island offers a feeling of quietness and privacy, yet the option of being social with all the other wonderful guests we met. We were treated to a ride in the hobie cat from Rasta and taken to a spot where we later kayaked to snorkel at. We appreciated the staff who took time from their day just to please us guests and even answer questions about Belize and the island.

The complimentary items to use were awesome and the sense that they could be borrowed at any time left us a feeling of true freedom to enjoy everything at our own leisure. No agenda, no scheduled times...always something to do, yet relax and enjoy any moment.

The snorkeling was amazing! So much to see right off the south dock as well as around the entire island. Beautiful colored tropical fish, a few barracudas always left much to discover. We loved the turtle/ray snorkeling trip included in our package. They were amazing to see right in front of us! Not disappointing at all. We saw 3 large turtles, a number of rays and small nurse sharks.

We would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a dreamy quiet getaway. We just hope there will be availability next time we want to go, because we plan on going back! Save us a spot, Dasha!

The Sandersons

Room Tip: We had cabana 3, just off the south dock and loved it. It was perfect for us and had a nice private...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple