This place is awesome!
My wife and I went during the rainy season for the first leg of our honeymoon and we had a blast. My wife was somewhat worried about getting island fever for our 5 day/4 night leg, but she finally got in tune with island living. Additionally, the island itself is small, we were able to walk around it in under 8 minutes, but if you love water activities, then you will only be on the island just to eat and sleep. The people there were great, James our boat driver and Rasta were hilarious... but the food was spectacular! However, I would not recommend getting anything other than what is local. The local food was excellent, however, the more american style of food was just ok... I would also recommend trying anything with lion fish in it, that is one of their specialties.
Lastly, if you are big into fishing, there are a lot of bones and permits around the island, but if you want to eat what you catch, I would recommend taking a kayak and hitting up some of the buoys ( free) or do a fishing trip with them.
Oh, if you are going during the raining season, I would recommend you be prepared to travel on some rough waters. The taxi from the mainland to the island was fun for the guys, but not so much for the women. They did not like being airborne after hitting some chop.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A private island on the edge of the Silk Marine Reserve, seventeen miles east of Placencia, Hatchet is on the longest reef in North America. Laugh, love, play, explore, relax, rejuvenate, and dine in the island lifestyle you want. with a mile of private shoreline and word class diving and fishing only minutes away. With a pirates past, a hideaway present, and an environmental future, Hatchet offers unspoiled environment for your unforgettable tropical island experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers, Hotels.com, Odigeo and HotelsClick so you can book your Hatchet Caye Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hatchet Caye Hotel Placencia
- Hatchet Caye Resort Belize/Placencia