“Living the dream”

Hatchet Caye Resort
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Placencia
Reviewed 15 October 2013

This place is awesome!
My wife and I went during the rainy season for the first leg of our honeymoon and we had a blast. My wife was somewhat worried about getting island fever for our 5 day/4 night leg, but she finally got in tune with island living. Additionally, the island itself is small, we were able to walk around it in under 8 minutes, but if you love water activities, then you will only be on the island just to eat and sleep. The people there were great, James our boat driver and Rasta were hilarious... but the food was spectacular! However, I would not recommend getting anything other than what is local. The local food was excellent, however, the more american style of food was just ok... I would also recommend trying anything with lion fish in it, that is one of their specialties.
Lastly, if you are big into fishing, there are a lot of bones and permits around the island, but if you want to eat what you catch, I would recommend taking a kayak and hitting up some of the buoys ( free) or do a fishing trip with them.

Oh, if you are going during the raining season, I would recommend you be prepared to travel on some rough waters. The taxi from the mainland to the island was fun for the guys, but not so much for the women. They did not like being airborne after hitting some chop.

Room Tip: try to get a room with a hammock, you will be thankful.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

We had done a lot of research when deciding where to go and stay on our Belizean Honeymoon, and our three nights at Hatchet Caye were the absolute highlight! We lucked out with the Honeymoon cottage which was so lovely, and had a great time snorkeling and fishing. It was the off-season, so it felt really mellow and relaxing. The island is small and feels really intimate, and the setting is gorgeous. Be sure to do some nighttime snorkeling off the south dock to see all of the nightlife - very cool! Plus everyone on the staff bends over backward to make sure everything is great. We loved it!

Room Tip: For the best in privacy, try to reserve the honeymoon cottage!
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We booked a 4 night stay here instead of a 6 night stay because we were a bit worried that we would get bored on the island. That is definitely not the case here! We wish we had a few more days to fully experience all they have to offer.

We were somehow lucky enough to get the honeymoon sweet for our stay so we had no other couples attached to our cabana and we had a great view of the pier from our room. I highly suggest getting that cabana if you can. The snorkeling here is great! You can snorkel right off the pier and if are brave enough, you can snorkel there at night as well. The first night I was there, I tried to snorkel at night. They have blue lights to light up the water at night. I got to snorkel with a few rays and one of them swam right up to me. It was pretty amazing.

They offer other snorkel and dive trips, which I highly recommend. We went out on a trip near Silk Caye and got to see huge sea turtles, rays, and even sharks. It was a really great experience. I also went on one dive with Sean, the instructor. That was also a great experience. If you're on the fence, I definitely have to say go for it! It was a once in a lifetime event. We even had the opportunity to help some baby sea turtles out to the ocean.

Lastly, I just want to give a shoutout to the staff at Hatchet Caye. They are all so helpful and incredibly knowledgeable. Daniel is a jack of all trades. He knows everything about everything that is under the water. You can ask him about anything and he most likely knows. He took us on a snorkel trip and would talk to us along the way and tell us what we were looking at and what we could and couldn't touch. Rasta is SUPER helpful. Anything you want to do or need, he will make it happen. He's also a very happy guy....all the time. It makes you happy just being around him. Sean the dive instructor was so helpful and easy going with us newbies. He made us all feel very at ease and took us on a nice little dive. If I was staying longer, I would have done a certification.

This is a great place!

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Hatchet Caye is a great destination. If you are a snorkeler, go for it! The coral and fish right off the dock are great and snorkeling there never gets old. The snorkel trip to Gladden Spit can't be missed due to the loggerhead turtles. I saw 4 of them and each shell was around 5 feet in diameter! The nurse sharks and various types of rays at Gladden Spit were also neat. But even off the dock at the resort I saw three different kinds of rays! And it was so easy to snorkel right there. You just left your cabana, walked for a minute to the covered dock, put on your snorkel gear and either jumped in or used the ladder. You didn't need to deal with a boat ride or a rocky beach. It was just so easy (and safe -- no one was going to steal your beach towel or flip flops!) and the snorkeling was just so great. I really can't say enough about the snorkeling right off the dock!! (I've snorkeled around the world -- Great Barrier Reef, Indonesia, Hawaiian islands, South Pacific/French Polynesia, etc. -- so I know what an "easy" snorkel is and what a "great" snorkel is. Off the dock is both!)

If you don't know how to snorkel, ride a Hobie Cat or sea kayak, speak up. Someone at the Activity Center will gladly show you (for free) and if that means taking you out on the Hobie Cat for a 30 minute sail, that's what will happen. If you are interested in doing a (free) night snorkel off the dock with the spotted rays, ask someone in the Activity Center to borrow the free underwater rechargeable lantern/flashlight. If you have questions or need something or want to do an off-island excursion (fishing trip, snorkeling somewhere else), just ask (and be sure you know the pricing for the off-island excursion before you go) and it will get set up right away.

If you go, bring your own soap. The soap that is provided is very nice, but the little circle disks are tiny and hard to hold. They will give you more soap, but having your own bar of soap that you can really hold onto would be nicer. And, there are no Kleenex. There is toilet paper in the cabana, but no Kleenex. If you have allergies, BRING KLEENEX. Also bring a flashlight or your cell phone's flashlight app. The footpath lights aren't that bright and sunset was 5:45 PM and it was dark. You need to use a flashlight of some kind to get to and from the restaurant and dock (for night snorkeling!). This will prevent you from stepping on hermit crabs or newly hatched turtles. (Yes, we saw baby turtles on the footpath heading for the foot path light! What a treat that was.)

Review your bill a day or so prior to checking out so that the check-out process can be fast. The food and beverage charges for each day are 2 line items on the bill -- the "food and beverage charges" and the tax -- but if you add them together you will be able to tell how much your total charge is for that particular day. And, the food and beverage charges on the bill INCLUDE a 10% tip. So, a draft beer that is listed as 6 Belizean dollars will show up on the final bill as 6.60. If your total charges for a day included only 2 beers, your bill would show that day as costing 13.20 Belizean dollars (split across two lines -- "food and beverage" and tax). It's not hard but it does take a few minutes to figure out. Keep track of what you buy day by day since that is how the final bill is shown.

We were there the last week of September and it was HOT. The temperature was 95º and the humidity was 89% (although there was only one brief rain one morning) so it was very, very muggy most of the time. The cabana's A/C worked well but my husband was very uncomfortable every time we left the cabana. Just be ready to sweat if you go to Belize the last week of September!!

And if you think that the photos on their website or their facebook page are too good to be true, don't worry. Hatchet Caye really does look like paradise and the photos are 100% accurate!

Room Tip: Cabana 4 has two queen beds in it but the view from the porch isn't as nice as some of the other...
Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LadyVol-VB
Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

This was the greatest place I have ever visited. It was secluded and quite, one of the greatest places that I have ever visited. I would recommend this resort to every one looking for a fantastic time.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 22 September 2013

It is difficult to explain in words what a fabulous place this is. This is truly one of the most amazing places I have ever visited. It is paradise on what I would consider a remote island off the coast of southern Belize. My husband and I went to scuba dive and the experience was fanastic! The visibility was awesome. Some of the most beautiful reef I have seen. The dive master was excellent and very safe. But even if you do not dive the snorkelling around the island was excellent. We saw nurse sharks, spotted eagle rays, stingrays, turtles, squid, and octopus just snorkelling!! The accomodations were wonderful. Honestly 5 star quality with your own deck, sitting area in your room. There are no fridges so plan accordingly. But the food and restaurant were excellent. The restaurant itself is absolutely beautiful. And to top it all off the people are some of the most wonderful people you could meet. Truly made you feel at home and part of their family. You leave on a first name basis and consider them friends. Thank you Hatchet Caye for just an amazing trip and do truly hope to see you again soon!

1  Thank Kathy S
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Pros:
1) Rooms situated perfectly right on the beach; your choice of chairs on your balcony almost over the water, hammock suspended between coconut palms on your bit of private beach, or lounge chairs, all a few steps from your door.
2) South dock on island right in the midst of coral reef; no effort whatsoever to get to good snorkeling. Plenty of coral and fish right at your doorstep almost. I saw more and greater variety of fish here than at Silk Caye. (However a snorkel trip out there was great; saw sharks, big rays, loggerheads, etc.)
3) Food is very good (included in our Groupon deal)
4) Service and staff just terrific.
5) Plenty of amenities, Hobie cats, kayaks, etc. which you can take out whenever.
Cons:
1) Wait for meals at restaurant is substantial. Figure this in and bring something for the wait (conversation partners, book, computer, etc.)
2) Lack of fresh fruit on the menu. We severely felt the lack of it, and ended up asking the staff to buy us and bring us back stuff from Placencia. They did it (two large bags full) without complaint though, at cost.
3) No refrigerator in rooms.
4) Drinks (other than coffee, tea) were extra on our plan. We had brought our own juice and were OK. I think some people were running up extensive bar tabs judging by the scope of their drinking!
5) You must wait for everyone to assemble before the boat leaves for the island, and on return you must leave in order for the people with earliest flights to make it. Therefore you may be in Placencia for many hours both coming and going. It does cut into time you might have been expecting to have on the island if you arrived rather early in Belize, or if you have a later return time. Not all bad though, because Placencia is also on the beach and is a bit of a vacation destination itself.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Keri33